The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Swan Mancini Zin '06

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

WTN: Swan Mancini Zin '06

by John Treder » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:58 pm

It was cold today, and I haven't had raviolis for a while, so I went over to Canevari's today and got a box.
Needed good wine with good ravs. Got it.
Russian River Valley, Joseph Swan, Mancini Ranch Zinfandel 2006 $23.40 club price 14.9% alcohol
This bottle was a "Joe's Buddies" club selection in October 2011, and I have a few more that I squirreled away because they tasted good near the corner of River and Laguna roads.
Good Zin. A bit on the sharp (acidic) side, which actually brings out the cherries and blackberries earlier in the mouth. I'm happy to have a few more. I think it'll hold for several years. Classic style.

Edit: Ok, lemme confess. I had half a glass of a bottle of Limerick Lane Syrah '08 left over, and I had that with the first part of the raviolis, and i finished off with the Zin.
I liked the Syrah. It was a good RRV Syrah, a bit sweet for Syrah, but a good bottle. When I switched to the Zin, it was like night and day. The Zin was much more astringent, more smoke and dried autumn leaves on the nose. It brought out the earthiness of the "Old fashioned" Canevari raviolis, with their politely euphemised "specialty meats" in them. What Ravs Ought To Have!!
And I continued the bottle tonight with a rather scratch dinner of a piece of ham steak, a potato pancake, and an oven-broiled Japanese eggplant with the usual crumbs, olive oil, garlic and cheese. (OOTD, I'll try again to do it like I had it in Japan. And probably fail again.)
I had a couple of ounces left over after I'd wolfed down the food, and I wandered around the kitchen sipping and saying, "Damn! That's good!"
Which I guess is about the only compliment a wine really needs.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: WTN: Swan Mancini Zin '06

by Peter May » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:46 am

John Treder wrote: "Damn! That's good!"
Which I guess is about the only compliment a wine really needs.

That's goof to hear. I recently bought a bottle of that...
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:20 pm

>> That's goof to hear
I do hope that's a typo! :twisted:
I have a couple more, and Rod being the curmudgeon that he is, it's still on release.
Next time you're in Santa Rosa, we can crack a bottle. Or next time I'm in Snorbens (which Google doesn't find), perhaps I can bring along a bottle of something that isn't exported. I have lots of them!
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:55 am

John, it was a typo. Good was the word I was trying for.

No idea when I'll be in Santa Rosa next, we were in nearby Kenwood for several nights in November.

Snorbens is how locals pronounce St Albans - about 25 mile NW of central London, easy journey by train, lots of historic sites in Snorbens, mediaevel, Roman and pre-Roman.

Look forward to seeing you :)
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:03 pm

Ah! Local pronunciations in England can be, ah, interesting. :)
John in the wine county