The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Broc Cellars

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Broc Cellars

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:07 pm

Broc Cellars has opened a tasting room in the "industrial" part of Berkeley near the freeway (and near one of my faves, Donkey and Goat). Chris, the owner, was pouring in the TINY tasting room.

The highlights were a lovely bright, amazingly zippy Zinfandel...one of my faves, an also bright Code-du-Rhonish blend (which I picked up), and the new El Dorado Syrah Cuvee, which was brilliantly herbal and delicious.

BRIGHT is a great descriptor. My favorite "Urban Berkeley Winery" remains Donkey and Goat, but Broc Cellars is right up there! A fun way to end the evening.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: Broc Cellars

by Mark Lipton » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:42 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:Broc Cellars has opened a tasting room in the "industrial" part of Berkeley near the freeway (and near one of my faves, Donkey and Goat). Chris, the owner, was pouring in the TINY tasting room.

The highlights were a lovely bright, amazingly zippy Zinfandel...one of my faves, an also bright Code-du-Rhonish blend (which I picked up), and the new El Dorado Syrah Cuvee, which was brilliantly herbal and delicious.

BRIGHT is a great descriptor. My favorite "Urban Berkeley Winery" remains Donkey and Goat, but Broc Cellars is right up there! A fun way to end the evening.

Damn! I wish I'd known that when I was out there last week. I've got a bottle of whole cluster Cab Franc from Broc Cellars (courtesy of our friends at Selection Massale, who I did visit last week), but have yet to try it.

Next time!
Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:19 pm

I've tasted that wine Mark, at another location. My tasting was definitely the "greener" varietally correct side of Cab Franc. Very fresh.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:09 pm

Chris Brockway's wines are excellent, and he is from my hometown of Omaha, NE! He is one of a handful of California winemakers showing restraint in the cellar, and buying fruit that isn't overripe and flabby. His Zin is great, and see if you can try his Dry Stack Vineyard Grenache and Syrah - they are both very Rhone-styled. The Antic Pinot Gris is lovely, but I've heard he isn't making it anymore.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:52 am

Joy Lindholm wrote:Chris Brockway's wines are excellent, and he is from my hometown of Omaha, NE! He is one of a handful of California winemakers showing restraint in the cellar, and buying fruit that isn't overripe and flabby. His Zin is great, and see if you can try his Dry Stack Vineyard Grenache and Syrah - they are both very Rhone-styled. The Antic Pinot Gris is lovely, but I've heard he isn't making it anymore.

It was a tough choice between his Rhonesque blend and the current release Syrah, Joy. I chose the blend, but the syrah was lovely.

If you ever get to Berkeley, his tasting room is well worth a visit! Plus, you can then visit Donkey and Goat...and Urbano Cellars (a somewhat more standard school of wine) are literally down the street! With Dashe/J.C. Cellars a short drive away, it's a veritable East Bay Urban Wine Trail! :lol: