The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Egly-Ouriet

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Egly-Ouriet

by Jay Labrador » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:42 am

Notes from a tasting of Jojo's latest acquisition for Premium Wine Exchange. Egly-Ouriet Champagne.

Four wines were featured for this tasting starting with the Egly Ouriet Brut Rose Grand Cru NV – Attractive old rose color. Very vigorous and fine bubbles. The nose is expressive and quite bready. Medium-bodied and fleshy. Cherry and strawberry fruit. Finishes with some bitterness but exceptionally long as well. This is an excellent Rose that showcases the quality of the Pinot Noir.

Egly-Ouriet Brut Rose Grand Cru NV by jaylabrador.winesteward, on Flickr

Up next was the Egly-Ouriet Brut Tradition Grand Cru NV – Beautiful white gold color. Again, very fine and lively bubbles. A full bodied, almost fat, Champagne. Green apples and apple skins texture. Most Champagnes are lemony but this one most certainly is not. It’s too ripe for that. A bit simple but a real easy wine to drink. Good, but not too interesting.

Egly-Ouriet Brut Tradition Gand Cru NV by jaylabrador.winesteward, on Flickr

The following wine is what I considered the highlight of the tasting. Egly-Ouriet Brut Grand Cru Milessime 2002 – Again, the shining white gold color. The bubbles are more subdued here. Strong scent of toasted nuts and flavors of white chocolate and honey. Deep flavor, complex, rich and many-layered. This is a young wine that will likely continue to develop complexity with age although it already makes a fine drink now. Outstanding.

Egly-Ouriet Brut Grand Cru Millesime 2002 by jaylabrador.winesteward, on Flickr

Although Jojo had an appointment for dinner, he was prevailed upon to stay for one last bottle. Egly-Ouriet Grand Cru V.P. Vielissement Prolonge Extra Brut NV – By this time I had probably drunk the lion’s share of an entire bottle so my notes are rather clipped. Smoky, deep flavor, with a touch of bitterness on the finish. Although this is an Extra Brut, it tastes like the Brut of other houses. I guess the fleshy, big-boned style of the house compensates in a way for the low dosage.

Egly-Ouriet Grand Cru VP NV by jaylabrador.winesteward, on Flickr

Many thanks to Jojo for the opportunity to tra these amazing wines.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Egly-Ouriet

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:25 pm

Nice!

Otto just posted on an Egly wine as well. Too bad they did not pour the pure Pinot Meunier Champagne.
Decisions are made by those who show up