The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Boxing Day to New YEar

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Boxing Day to New YEar

by Dale Williams » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:04 pm

Ah, post-Christmas. Wednesday we had leftover seafood stew, with a half bottle of the 2010 Matrot Bourgogne. Well-done, medium bodied, good acids, good length. B/B+

Thursday was leftovers from Christmas day (beef and capon), with the 1997 Falesco Montiano (Lazio). Low-acids, plummy, a bit of ashtray, this is fading, shows older than adjacent vintages. B-

Friday was Asian short ribs and choy sum, with the 2009 Les Fouques (Cotes de Provence) red. Cherries and raspberries, a touch of herb, light bodied for a Provencal red. Pretty good. B

Saturday’s appetizer wine was the 2008 Trapet Riesling (Riquewirhr, Alsace). Sec-tendre, peach and pear fruit, mid-bodied. B

Main course was a macaroni and cheese with pancetta, wine was the 2009 Fuligni “Ginestreto” Rosso di Montalcino. Smooth, red fruits, a little vanilla, not especially recognizable as Sangiovese to me, soft, a bit short. B-/C+

Sunday we had arranged a family dinner at Betsy’s sister, they were away over Christmas and this was an opportunity for them to be with Dave and Mary Kate. We carried over some Spanish cheeses and olive, Cal made calamari, orange/fennel salad, paella, & green beans. Some wines:

2008 Pena das Donas “Almalarga” Godello (Ribeira Sacra)
A hint of spritz, very full-bodied, citrus and peach with a flinty finish, very good length, very nice wine. B+/A-

1998 La Rioja Alta “904” Rioja Gran Reserva
Sweet red fruits, an almost Dujacish exotic cedar meets sandalwood note that gets more cigarboxy with time. Lovely, elegant wine. A-

2008 Palicios “Petalos”
Used in a sangria, agreeable if slightly internationalized wine. B/B-

NV Yalumba “Museum Reserve” Muscat (Rutherglen)
Thick, toffee and mocha, dense, ok acids. B-

New Year’s Eve Betsy made a stirfry with some fresh rice noodles as well as some fried tofu with lemon, wine was the 2007 R. Haart Piesporter Goldtropchen Riesling Kabinett. White pit fruits, lime zest, long and balanced. On sweeter side of Kabinett (at least by old standards), big but with some litheness and grace. Very very good. B+/A-

Later we went a couple of blocks to a small (3 couples, few teens) party, there were shrimp tacos, nachoes, smoked salmon canapes, and brandade, sampled a couple of wines
2011 Leitz Rudesheimer Magdalenenkreuz Riesling Spatlese
Slate and lime, moderate acids, sweetness is a bit more than my preference, good wine that just use just a touch more snap, but I like it . B

2000 Ellner “Cuvee Prestige” Champagne Brut

Toasty, fresh apples and brioche, nutty. B/B+

On New Years I cheated a bit, substituting Good Mother Stollard runner beans for the blackeyed peas, but faithfully made my collards; I also made a mango salsa, Betsy made tortilla chips plus made some incredible shrimp wontons. Dave and MK joined us

NV Bremont Rose Champagne
Full, yeasty, bright cherrry and lime fruit, excellent length. A-/B+

2005 Feudo Montoni "Vrucara" Nero d'Avola
Raspberries and black cherries, moderate acid and tannin, some coffee and earth notes. Enjoyable, smooth, and long. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Boxing Day to New YEar

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:56 pm

2011 is not going to be a year for "snap" in German Riesling. Maybe with some time the youthful fat will recede a bit, but it won't ever win prizes for vibrancy.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:02 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:2011 is not going to be a year for "snap" in German Riesling. Maybe with some time the youthful fat will recede a bit, but it won't ever win prizes for vibrancy.

I was really surprised by some of the 2011s in that regard. On paper, you're right -especially for wines with RS (come to think of it, I haven't had many 2011 sweetish Riesling that I've particularly liked), but I've tried a lot of dry Riesling that was perfect and often had acid to spare -even from guys who didn't acidify. There were some really electric wines from Rebholz, Karl Schaefer, Christmann, Künstler come to mind. Even M-C after a few months in bottle (initially I didn't always like them.)

Cheers,
Bill
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:05 pm

Bill Hooper wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:2011 is not going to be a year for "snap" in German Riesling. Maybe with some time the youthful fat will recede a bit, but it won't ever win prizes for vibrancy.

I was really surprised by some of the 2011s in that regard. On paper, you're right -especially for wines with RS (come to think of it, I haven't had many 2011 sweetish Riesling that I've particularly liked), but I've tried a lot of dry Riesling that was perfect and often had acid to spare -even from guys who didn't acidify. There were some really electric wines from Rebholz, Karl Schaefer, Christmann, Künstler come to mind. Even M-C after a few months in bottle (initially I didn't always like them.)

Cheers,
Bill

Bill - I actually think it's a pretty fun vintage for dry wines. The somewhat low-ish acidity (but not horribly low a la 2003) did a favor to many dry wines.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:22 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:
Bill Hooper wrote:

Cheers,
Bill

Bill - I actually think it's a pretty fun vintage for dry wines. The somewhat low-ish acidity (but not horribly low a la 2003) did a favor to many dry wines.

Absolutely, though I do miss the 2010s and try to buy them whenever I see them -which is not often. I'm already starting to see 2012 on the shelf. There were 2011s out last year at this time too, but they had a bit more early appeal. 2012 already? That's pretty sick.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com