Be Strong / WeeksEnd wine

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Re: Be Strong / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Z Spigelman » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:55 pm

Friday night - GHW Gamla HaShmura Tempranillo 2010 & Gamla White Riesling 2011.
Shabbat lunch - Teperberg Viognier 2011,Tulip Just Cabernet Sauvignon 2011 & Teperberg Terra Emerald Riesling 2011.
Had a taste of the 2 Rieslings which were for my daughter & her friends. They preferred the Teperberg.
Z Spigelman
Wine guru

Postby David Raccah » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:09 pm

Zvi - mazel tov on your daughter's upcoming wedding and the Viognier from Teperberg is really nice, though not quite as nice as the upcoming one from Dalton, and even that one is not as nice as the midbar viognier.

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Marc G » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:03 pm

Fri night had 3 wines for the first time. 06 Herzog Tokalon club bottling (had this once bf but off). Very nice wine. Elegant, subtle flavors. Not as good as Gen 8. The next wine totally blew the Herzog away. 06 Yarden Merlot Kela. An outstanding Merlot with amazing flavors richness and balance. The third wine was also pleasant surprise. 09 or 10 Teperberg Cab reserve. Exellent wine in traditional Israeli cab style. Sat another two new wines. Brob Grenache. Impressed as usual by the Brob wines. Winestock reserve red wine from grapes Ive never heard of and actually cant recall. Anyways It was an impressive wine too. Five new wines and all great. A rare treat.
Marc G
Wine geek

Postby Andrew B » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:12 pm

Marc G wrote: Winestock reserve red wine from grapes Ive never heard of and actually cant recall. Anyways It was an impressive wine too. Five new wines and all great. A rare treat.

Alicante Bouchet?
Andrew B
Wine guru

Postby Marc G » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:52 pm

yes that was it Andrew. Thanks
Marc G
Wine geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:45 am

Z Spigelman wrote:Friday night - GHW Gamla HaShmura Tempranillo 2010 & Gamla White Riesling 2011.
Shabbat lunch - Teperberg Viognier 2011,Tulip Just Cabernet Sauvignon 2011 & Teperberg Terra Emerald Riesling 2011.
Had a taste of the 2 Rieslings which were for my daughter & her friends. They preferred the Teperberg.

Hi Zvi,

How did you like the Gamla Tempranillo?

Btw, as I'm trying not to sell the Gamla(Gilgal) label, being a supermarket product, I was surprised to see on the shelf at another shop (yes I admit they exist :wink: ) both the Gamla Brut and the Gamla Hashmura Brut. To my surprise, the Hashmura was 10 shekels cheaper than the regular one and according to the sales guy there is a difference between the 2, one being dryer (the regular I think).Until then I was sure that they were simply moving the Brut and Nebbiolo up to the Hashmura series. Yossie, did you get some info and tasting for this series?

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Elie Poltorak » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:19 am

Gabriel Geller wrote:
Z Spigelman wrote:Friday night - GHW Gamla HaShmura Tempranillo 2010 & Gamla White Riesling 2011.

Hi Zvi,

Btw, as I'm trying not to sell the Gamla(Gilgal) label, being a supermarket product, I was surprised to see on the shelf at another shop (yes I admit they exist :wink: ) both the Gamla Brut and the Gamla Hashmura Brut. To my surprise, the Hashmura was 10 shekels cheaper than the regular one and according to the sales guy there is a difference between the 2, one being dryer (the regular I think).Until then I was sure that they were simply moving the Brut and Nebbiolo up to the Hashmura series. Yossie, did you get some info and tasting for this series?

Best,

GG

I think it's unfortunate that you shun the Gamla wines. While they're not as consistently good as they used to be (the CS used to be consistently great, with some really phenomenal vintages--e.g., '93, '95), Gamla has some real gems off the beaten path of CS/merlot/chard. For instance, the '08 Sangiovese was fabulous--easily an A-. Spicy and unique, I found it very interesting and exciting.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby David Raccah » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:28 am

Sorry Harry for being late. Here is my wine for this week - the 2007 Yarden Pinot Noir is live and well. There were two bottles of the Terrenal Malbec, one with the the notes I know and one without. I went to the store and got a fresh bottle - and it was the nice version, so if you dislike the bottle, return it and get a new bottle, TJ is cool with that. If you still do not like it - than so be it.

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2013/01/01 ... al-malbec/

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:31 am

Elie Poltorak wrote:I think it's unfortunate that you shun the Gamla wines. While they're not as consistently good as they used to be (the CS used to be consistently great, with some really phenomenal vintages--e.g., '93, '95), Gamla has some real gems off the beaten path of CS/merlot/chard. For instance, the '08 Sangiovese was fabulous--easily an A-. Spicy and unique, I found it very interesting and exciting.

Which is why I said "I'm trying not to sell". I do have the Sangiovese, still the '08 and while not as enthusiastic about it as you are I like it too. Having tasted all the Gamla Cabernet and Merlot for the last 12 or so vintages I've not enjoyed these wines since the 2005 or 2006 vintage (I've good memories of the '04 Merlot I think).
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Elie Poltorak » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:06 am

David Raccah wrote:Sorry Harry for being late. Here is my wine for this week - the 2007 Yarden Pinot Noir is live and well. There were two bottles of the Terrenal Malbec, one with the the notes I know and one without. I went to the store and got a fresh bottle - and it was the nice version, so if you dislike the bottle, return it and get a new bottle, TJ is cool with that. If you still do not like it - than so be it.

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2013/01/01 ... al-malbec/

David

David: Is your TN for the Yarden PN recycled from the past? I think it tastes much more like a PN in its old age. Also, I've had mixed luck with this wine in the past couple months, with some bottles delicious and some totally dead/sour. I would emphatically recommend drinking up! I'm trying my best to consume my remaining stock as rapidly as I can.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Elie Poltorak » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:10 am

Gabriel Geller wrote:
Elie Poltorak wrote:I think it's unfortunate that you shun the Gamla wines. While they're not as consistently good as they used to be (the CS used to be consistently great, with some really phenomenal vintages--e.g., '93, '95), Gamla has some real gems off the beaten path of CS/merlot/chard. For instance, the '08 Sangiovese was fabulous--easily an A-. Spicy and unique, I found it very interesting and exciting.

Which is why I said "I'm trying not to sell". I do have the Sangiovese, still the '08 and while not as enthusiastic about it as you are I like it too. Having tasted all the Gamla Cabernet and Merlot for the last 12 or so vintages I've not enjoyed these wines since the 2005 or 2006 vintage (I've good memories of the '04 Merlot I think).

OK so we're on the same page. In fact, I'd say I haven't enjoyed the Gamla CS/Merlot since 2000 or so.
As far as the Sangiovese, I confess that I overrate wines that get me excited by being fresh and original--not just more of the same old. The Sangiovese certainly fits the bill. A typical CS/merlot/chard needs to be much, much better than usual to get me excited.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Elie Poltorak » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:26 am

Kidush on the 2011 Recanati Rose: B++/*** Absolutely delicious. Much better than the already quite good 2010. All the typical rose notes (strawberry, roses, etc.) with a dallop of lemon zest and a long, zesty finish. Definitely the best rose I've ever had (aside from the incredible Flam, which is sui generis--more cab franc than rose)--including some twice the price (e.g., Castel). Great quaffer but rather nuanced as well if you take the time to really tune in.

2008 Willm Riesling: A-/*** WOW! In fact, I liked it so much, I had another bottle the next day. Not many real Alsatian rieslings on the kosher market. Bone dry. If I had to describe this wine in one word, it would be Esrog. It opens with Esrog liqueur on the nose, along with some floral notes and stone fruit, first attack screams of esrog compote, without the sugar, and the long finish is indisputably esrog zest. Great minerality on the mid-palate. Really coats the mouth with an appealing oiliness--like a great viognier. A spectacular wine, and it was on sale for $14!!!! I look forward to many more bottles. Victor importers really needs to do a better job promoting this wine.

2011 Ella Valley Sauvignon Blanc: B+ to A-/** Just what you want a SB to be! Tart acidity, clean fruit, and a long zesty finish. Paired wonderfully with fish.

2009 Domaine Ventura Grand Vin Cabernet Sauvignon A-/** A classic CS, blending old world elegance with new world heft. A big cab, the nose screams of graphite, rapsberry, sour cherries, and wet earth. Nice fruity first attack, with more red fruit on the mid-palate, along with garrigue, and wet stone. Bracing acidity makes this wine super food friendly. Gripping, well integrated tannins. Long finish with more graphite, bitter chocolate, and cigar box. This should mature nicely for many years to come.

Kinor Dovid Shir Hama'alot K'Port 10 year: A-/**
Kinor Dovid Shar Hama'alot K'Port 8 Year: A/***' ABSOLUTELY EXQUISITE!!!
Kinor Dovid Sherry: CORKED! Although it was only bottled a month or so ago (the sherry is only sold at the winery and is bottled at the time of sale) when Elchonon bought it for me, the wine had seeped through the entire ill-fitting cork. The musty, mildewy odor spoiled the legendary nose I've been hearing so much about. A HUGE disappointment, but Elchonon very generously promised to share his bottle with me so look out for a better TN. At that time I will post TNs for the K'Ports as well, as I've already spent way too much time on the forum tonight when I have motion papers due tomorrow :roll: .
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby David Raccah » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:51 pm

Elie Poltorak wrote:David: Is your TN for the Yarden PN recycled from the past? I think it tastes much more like a PN in its old age. Also, I've had mixed luck with this wine in the past couple months, with some bottles delicious and some totally dead/sour. I would emphatically recommend drinking up! I'm trying my best to consume my remaining stock as rapidly as I can.

No, actually, it is modified, quite some actually. There was lovely white fruit on the nose and good balance as well. This is still NOT a PN - in any way. It is far more full and round. Not as bracing and spiky as Benyo's. Either way a fine wine and in no way is it dieing. In my opinion - I will leave my last bottle till Rogov's date of 2014 (one year), and see what happens.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Elie Poltorak » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:36 pm

David Raccah wrote:
Elie Poltorak wrote:David: Is your TN for the Yarden PN recycled from the past? I think it tastes much more like a PN in its old age. Also, I've had mixed luck with this wine in the past couple months, with some bottles delicious and some totally dead/sour. I would emphatically recommend drinking up! I'm trying my best to consume my remaining stock as rapidly as I can.

No, actually, it is modified, quite some actually. There was lovely white fruit on the nose and good balance as well. This is still NOT a PN - in any way. It is far more full and round. Not as bracing and spiky as Benyo's. Either way a fine wine and in no way is it dieing. In my opinion - I will leave my last bottle till Rogov's date of 2014 (one year), and see what happens.

Fair enough. I seem to remember you agreeing with me a few months ago that this wine has become more "pinot-ey" as it aged--although far more oaky and full-bodied than the typical PN--but I may be mistaken. To me, once you get past that fullness and roundness, it has that unmistakable PN flavor, which was hardly noticeable in its youth.

As far as the drinking window, like I said, I've been having some bottle variation. Over the past couple months, some bottles have been simply vinegar, while others were in peak condition. I'm not arguing with you that the wine has more time left, but unless you know whichever reseller you bought it from kept it in a cellar and it was never exposed to anything less than optimal conditions, you're taking a gamble. (To tell the truth, it's a gamble I'm taking myself as despite what I said about trying to drink up my stock as rapidly as possible, I did leave a couple of bottles in storage for next year to see what happens. More of an experiment than anything else.)
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby David Raccah » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:47 pm

Indeed Elie, I have a single bottle left and will see what happens to it when the time comes....
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Z Spigelman » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:08 pm

[quote="Gabriel GellerHi Zvi,

Best,

GG[/quote]

Hi Gabriel.
I was looking for a light and slightly fruity wine to go with a thick non-meat vegetable soup and it was perfect.
I prefer and highly recommend that you try the Gamla HaShmura Nebbilio 2010 which is medium-bodied.
I was disappointed with the Gamla HaShmura Cabernet Sauvignon but mine was a minority opinion, I prefer the regular Gamla CS.
Tonight we opened our only bottle of Yarden Blanc de Blancs 2005 to celebrate my 60th (Hebrew calendar) - WOW!
Last week was at a Covenant and Herzog tasting. Really enjoyed the Covenant 2009 but the 2007 was great. It was nice to meet and speak to Jeff Morgan, especially since I was the only Anglo there. Unfortunately, the Covenant is well beyond my budget, especially here in Israel with the markup.
Zvi
Z Spigelman
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:19 pm

Hi Zvi,

Thanks for replying. Interesting. The salesguy at the shop where I spotted the wines told me that in his opinion the Hashmura Cab is much better than the regular Gamla Cab. I will try myself at the earliest opportunity.

May I ask if the Covenant/Herzog tasting in which you took part was at Shirat Hayain? I muself attended a tasting of 3 Covenant wines (Red C 10, Covenant CabSav 10 and Covenant Chard' 08 if I did read AND hear that correctly. I really should take a picture of each and every wine I get to taste like Dave...) at a private house in Jerusalem this past Sunday in the great company of both Jeff Morgan and Jonathan Hajdu. Truly cool folks, it was real pleasure to finally meet them in person (I missed way too many opportunities for that in a not so distant past).

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:28 pm

I tasted the Gamla Hashmura (really Gamla Reserve) Cabernet Sauvignon and thought it was better than prior "regular" Gamla Cabernet wines but would need to do a comparative tasting between both versions of the 2010 and include the 2009 Gamla Cabernet Sauvignon as well. I am curious whether the better grapes previously going into Gamla are no reserved for the Gamla HaShmura (thus "degrading" the Gamla) or whether a new / higher level of grapes are being sourced for the Gamla HaShmurah (thus creating a new series, slotted between the Gamla and the Yarden and elevating the quality).
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Z Spigelman » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:54 pm

Hi GG.
The tasting was indeed at Shirat HaYayin, which included the Covenant 2007 & 2009, Covenant Red C 2006 and Covenant Lavan 2010. Jonathan Hajdu was not there.
Concerning the Gamla HaShmura CS, I noted that my opinion was not shared by others and the store's staff also preferred the HaShmura over the regular.

David - Thanks for the Mazal Tov. It's a shame that you had to leave before the event.

Zvi
Z Spigelman
Wine guru

Previous

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum