How often do you drink wine?

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

How often do you drink wine?

Postby Gabriel Geller » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:55 am

Hello folks,

I was actually wondering, how often do you drink wine? Only weekends and/or holidays? On a daily basis?

We are all members of this forum because we love wine and like to share our thoughts and experiences but that doesn't necessarily mean that all of us drink wine more than during the weekend. In old world countries such as France, many if not most the people drink wine with either/both lunch and/or dinner whether they are at home, restaurants or lunch break. However, as wine is an integrated part of the culture there very few people find it relevant to be part of such a forum. It would be like if there were a bunch of israelis participating in a forum focusing on hummus... :mrgreen:

I for instance drink about 1-2 glasses almost every day, either for tasting purposes or with friends and family at meals, fine restaurants etc.

So what about you folks?

Best,

GG

P.S. What's going on with "Your top-10 best wines of 2012" thread? Yossie?
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Re: How often do you drink wine?

Postby Philip Aron » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:35 am

Gabriel, what is your definition of a "glass of wine" ? 80, 125 175 cc etc

For example I drink daily, seven days a week, two glasses of red wine per day, each of 125 cc. this represents a yearly consumption of 90 liters.
Philip Aron
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:04 pm

Philip Aron wrote:Gabriel, what is your definition of a "glass of wine" ? 80, 125 175 cc etc

For example I drink daily, seven days a week, two glasses of red wine per day, each of 125 cc. this represents a yearly consumption of 90 liters.

Likewise the more or less. I indeed mean 125 cc.
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby David Raccah » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:14 pm

I drink on Shabbos and very rarely at special occasions, unless I am hanging out with Gabe and his band of crazy elves!
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Craig Winchell » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:24 pm

Always on Shabbos, sometimes at other times. For isntance, yesterday I tasted about 30 barrels. I did not spit. By the way, the GE thing still seems to be on.
Craig Winchell
Wine guru

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:39 pm

I usually have 1-2 glasses of wine every day, typically with dinner and slightly more over the weekend. I taste often but given that I always spit when tasting, I don't think that counts.
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby YoelA » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:38 pm

A glass or so at dinner; one or two on Friday nights?
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby Z Spigelman » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:47 pm

A glass or 2 nearly every night during the week and 2+ glasses at each of the 2 Shabbat meals when we bring out the higher quality wines.
Z Spigelman
Wine guru

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:09 pm

Just to respond to Gabe - i just sent out my newsletter with the best wines of 2012 and the most interesting/exciting wines for the year.
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Elie Poltorak » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:57 am

I drink wine or beer with every meal at home and at restaurants. On weekdays, that's typically only dinner as breakfast and lunch are usually on the go/at the office. Half a bottle or so on weekdays (or the equivalent in beer). Usually a bottle or so during each Shabbos/yom tov meal. (I don't finish an entire bottle--I mean between the multiple bottles I open and share I drink around a bottle's worth.) Does that make me French? :lol:
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Isaac C » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:06 pm

I drink at least a bottle over shabbos, more if I have guests, I rarely, if ever, drink wine during the week - I have a beer on most nights with dinner.
Isaac C
Ultra geek

Postby gaston k » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:47 pm

A bottle on Shabbat, usually with the majority consumed with friday night dinner.
Once or twice a month or so, usually when bringing home takeout or when we have guests will have another bottle, that usually split over two nights.
Will also have beer 3-5 nights a week with dinner, or Shabbat lunch.
gaston k
Ultra geek

Postby Steven B » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:50 pm

I drink somewhere in the ballpark of a bottle every Shabbos. I find that if I drink to much in wine in one meal my palate gives out and I can no longer properly taste it. Anyone have any tips on how to prevent that?
Steven B
Wine geek

Postby Adam M » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:31 pm

About a bottle from Fri-Sun on average without guests.

1-2 glasses during the week on occasion with a homemade evening meal with meat. But I must say that it typically brings my day to a grinding halt and I feel that, as a result, it somewhat diminishes family time in the evening. So for this reason I have cutback on my weekday drinking pretty significantly.
Adam M
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:11 am

Steven B wrote:I drink somewhere in the ballpark of a bottle every Shabbos. I find that if I drink to much in wine in one meal my palate gives out and I can no longer properly taste it. Anyone have any tips on how to prevent that?

Practice my friend, practice... :lol:
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Philip Aron » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:41 am

Steven. B

Your palate is simply telling you that enough is enough. Good for you, since the danger is always that, the more you drink the more your body learns to tolerate the increased quantities of alcohol.
Philip Aron
Wine guru

Postby Mike_F » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:44 am

I agree with Philip that one should stop drinking before your palate shuts down. However Rogov z"l used to say that when doing an extensive wine tasting, he could refresh his palate by chewing a mouthful of plain cooked white rice (without salt or any spices), spitting it out, and rinsing well. Probably useful only for professionals who need to taste dozens of wines in a days' work.
Of course we must be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.”
Richard Dawkins
Mike_F
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:00 am

Mike_F wrote:I agree with Philip that one should stop drinking before your palate shuts down. However Rogov z"l used to say that when doing an extensive wine tasting, he could refresh his palate by chewing a mouthful of plain cooked white rice (without salt or any spices), spitting it out, and rinsing well. Probably useful only for professionals who need to taste dozens of wines in a days' work.

Right, there are a few "tricks" that are the more or less efficient for palate cleansing. I for instance like to use some fresh bread with unsalted white cheese spread and sparkling water. Then I can taste up to about 100 different wines in one day (and spit needless to say). So can Dave Raccah and very likely so Yossie H as well. In my case, it wasn't always like this of course and takes quite some practicing. But when drinking the wine without spitting it it's a different story. Maybe 7-10 different wines at the same sitting at most.
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Mark Lieser » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:30 am

Definitely every Shabbat - a bottle each on Friday night and Shabbat lunch.

During the week, there is the occasional bottle if the mood strikes - but that is usually of slightly lesser quality.

And once to twice a month, a visit to a winery on a day I'm not working - and since it's only one winery at a time, I don't spit. So that adds a couple more glasses. I've also given up on multiple winery visits in a day (sometimes I'll push it to two), as I find that after a while I can no longer tell the difference - so I'm wasting my time and theirs. (And bread and cheese - although delicious - doesn't prolong my palate's ability to function, either.)

Mark
Mark Lieser
Ultra geek

Postby Steven B » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:25 pm

Gabriel Geller wrote:Right, there are a few "tricks" that are the more or less efficient for palate cleansing. I for instance like to use some fresh bread with unsalted white cheese spread

Unfortunately that only works if you're milchigs :lol:

I find that my palate holds up a lot better with sweet wines and white wines, so I'm assuming that the palate shutting down has to do with tannin.
Steven B
Wine geek

Postby Elchonon Hellinger » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:14 am

What the hell is a matter with you freakoids!!! I drink on avg a full bottle of wine daily.. Raccah you disappoint me!!! I need to o to the west coast and ensure you drink you poison!
Elchonon Hellinger
Ultra geek

Postby Elchonon Hellinger » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:16 am

David Raccah wrote:I drink on Shabbos and very rarely at special occasions, unless I am hanging out with Gabe and his band of crazy elves!

I am no elve!!! I am a bearded badass crazy insane wine drinking alien!! and we have not drunken NEARLY as much as our potential has dictated and foretold by the mazalot ;)
Elchonon Hellinger
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:30 am

We've created a monster...
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Elchonon Hellinger » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:08 pm

Gabriel Geller wrote:We've created a monster...

its not THAT bad lol
Elchonon Hellinger
Ultra geek

Next

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum