The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Beef Stroganoff Pairing?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Beef Stroganoff Pairing?

by Howie Hart » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:12 am

I'm doing Beef Stroganoff (with home made fettuccine) for a New Years Day dinner and was thinking of what wine to open. I have about 60 bottles of "store-bought" wines in my cooler and this may be a good opportunity for some culling. I did a Google search and most of the reviews recommended NOT serving Pinot Noir, Zin or Cabernet Sauvignon. I don't think I have any Rhones or Syrah. Any suggestions?
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Beef Stroganoff Pairing?

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:14 am

I had a Mourvedre with stroganoff last week. I don't really think there is a "good" pairing, as the sauce in stroganoff is so heavy that it coats the palate too much.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:30 am

No idea why but for some reason I am thinking a white from Alsace, Pinot Gris preferably but maybe Riesling. Or maybe a dry Tokay if you have one
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:46 pm

Brian Gilp wrote:No idea why but for some reason I am thinking a white from Alsace, Pinot Gris preferably but maybe Riesling. Or maybe a dry Tokay if you have one

Sounds more appealing than red wines to me. I once had an Alsace Gewurz with a beef kebab -effectively cubes of grilled steak. I chose it because I was in Alsace and none of the limited selection of reds appealed, but it worked surprisingly well.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:09 pm

I really like stroganoff. Betsy makes 2 versions, a Pierre Franey one and a "50s" version from her grandmother that involves -yes- cream of mushroom soup. I enjoy both, but neither is particularly wine-friendly - the beef makes me want red, while the sour cream sauce really calls for a white. I generally settle for the lightest red I have in house- a (non-Cru) Beaujolais, Schiava, Grignolino, etc. Rose works well too, though I once tried a rose bubbly and found the combo odd.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:28 pm

Beer!!!!!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:13 pm

I had the same question several years ago and turned to Hugh Johnson's recommendation in his Pocket Wine Book: Dramatic red: Barolo, Valpolicella, Amarone, Cahors, Hermitage. I went with the Barolo and still think that's the best pairing for Beef Stroganoff.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:09 pm

I'd be inclined to go with a white wine. Maybe a somewhat creamy Chardonnay from California or Chassagne-Montrachet.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:12 am

Thanks everyone. Left on my own, I may have chosen a CA Merlot, but thanks to this discussion, I placed two bottles on the table.
First served was 2011 Freedom Run Gewurtztraminer (Niagara River) - straw color, very aromatic, typical of Gewurtz, just a trace of RS, medium, drying finish with a slight tannic bitterness. Very nice wine that paired very well with the Stroganoff.
Next was 2009 George DeBouef Morgon - very deep red color (no purple or brown), a bit closed at first, but opened up nicely during the course of the 90 minute meal. Generous nose of dark berry fruit and a hint of black pepper. Very long, full, tannic finish. This was a different experience with the dish and seemed to do best when chewing a piece of the beef or mushroom, whereas the Gewurtz complemented the sauce better. Both wines worked in their own way.
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:28 am

Pleased the gewurz worked out well. It is always a bit scary when others follow your suggestion! It is not a varietal I drink a lot of, but I shall make a note to try it again with beef sometime.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:35 am

Bowie, thanks for the report back. Is the Gewurtztraminer you poured similar to an Alsace Gewurtztraminer in body/texture or is it a lighter version?
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:12 am

Yes it was similar to Alsatian - perhaps not quite as intense as some, but good varietal character, just a touch of RS, good acid balance. I looked for this on their website, but it's not listed. I purchased it at the winery, where I know most of the folks. During the meal I discussed this thread with my B-I-L and asked him if he were to serve Beef Strogonoff at his house, which wine would he serve? He answered "Both" and he was reluctant to even try the Gewurtz at first.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:22 am

I'm just glad you got such clear advice here. It's obvious the correct choice is Mouvedre, Riesling, Corvina, Chardonnay, Frappato, Nebbiolo,Gewurztraminer, Gamay, Pinot Gris, Hops, Schiava, or Syrah/ :)
Thanks for reporting back
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:14 pm

Dale Williams wrote: Schiava

Actually, I think that might be the most correct choice. There are a lot of 'Mountain Stews' and such with red meat or vension and also cheese. We usually keep some Schiava (Trollinger) on hand for these -higher acid red wine that drinks like a white.

Cheers,
Bill
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com