The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2009 Reinhold Haart Piesporter Goldtropfchen Kabinett

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

WTN: 2009 Reinhold Haart Piesporter Goldtropfchen Kabinett

by JC (NC) » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:11 pm

Imported by Rudi Wiest. 8.5% abv. Pale gold color. Sharp acidic hit, yet sweetness suggests at least Spatlese level rather than Kabinett. One sip leads to another and another in rapid succession--indeed, the impulse is to gulp it. Some light ammonia on the nose along with white peach and white blossoms. White peach stars on the palate. Thumbs up! I had this with broccoli, cheese and white-meat turkey casserole.

I didn't catch my typo in the title until weeks later--the designation is Piesporter Goldtropfchen ("golden drops), not Tropchen (just "drops"). I was just careless it typing it on my keyboard.
Last edited by JC (NC) on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

Re: WTN: 2009 Reinhold Haart Piesporter Tropfchen Kabinett

by Jim Grow » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:24 pm

Happy New Year Jane. I had a Kabinett also recently while up in NW Ohio visiting Luci. From her cellar I opened a 2002 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett that was in very fine shape with a med. straw color, great acidity and citrus/pear flavors with a slight varnish/lacquer note that was not off-putting but probably indicates a past-peak maturity.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:01 pm

Happy New Year to you, Jim and to Luci.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:07 pm

Jim Grow wrote:Happy New Year Jane. I had a Kabinett also recently while up in NW Ohio visiting Luci. From her cellar I opened a 2002 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett that was in very fine shape with a med. straw color, great acidity and citrus/pear flavors with a slight varnish/lacquer note that was not off-putting but probably indicates a past-peak maturity.

Jim - I would suggest that the varnish/lacquer element suggest heat damage at some point in the wine's lifetime. I'm still drinking kabinetts from the '90s that are remarkably fresh.
Decisions are made by those who show up