dalton alma white

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

dalton alma white

Postby Harry J » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:01 pm

Bsd. Hi :had asked a few weeks ago re the red. Now woud like opinions re the dalton alma white. Unless if yóu were buying a whitye as a gifty wqould you rather go with yarden odem ?h
Harry J
Wine guru

Re: dalton alma white

Postby Gabriel Geller » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:36 pm

Hi Harry,

I tasted the wine at the Jerusalem Wine Festival last summer and liked it. While it's certainly not as good as the Wild Yeast Viognier of which the production was stopped to use the grapes for the Alma, it still is a nice wine. Now regarding your question re: Yarden Odem Chardonnay. Depends on the vintage as the last one I tasted, the 2008 which was scored 94 by Rogov z"l, was way overoaked for my palate.

Here's my TN for the Alma White 2011:

Dalton, Alma White 2011: Light gold, medium-bodied with on the nose white peaches, honeysuckle and toasted bread, on the palate, white peaches, pears, lemon confit, brioche and hints of honey with nicely refreshing acidity well-balanced with an moderately long finish. I liked it, there's a very tiny almost imperceptible hint of sweetness and it is IMHO much better than the 2010 (that I wasn't impressed with to say the least).

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Postby Harry J » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:42 pm

Oy vey as they say. Around here alma white is 2010 and yarden odem chard is 2011!h
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:45 pm

Harry J wrote:Oy vey as they say. Around here alma white is 2010 and yarden odem chard is 2011!h

I'd personally take the risk probably and get the Odem (not tasted yet but very soon hopefully).
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Postby David Raccah » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:06 pm

The 2010 Alma - NO FUN - sorry, you all know O love Dalton, excepting for the white Alma and some of their roses. You can almost always trust the Odem Chard - but wow! The 2011 is really young.

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Pinchas L » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:53 pm

Hi Harry,

I'm beginning a streak of disagreements with David, why not build on that. I find the Alma to be an interesting wine, even if a bit reserved, and is probably more suited for a wine maven. The Odem Chardonnay I had was very pleasant, perhaps surprisingly so, and without much oak; however it is more straightforward, and would be my choice for a wine novice. Personally, as an popular of an opinion as it may be on this forum, I prefer the Alma White to the Wild Yeast Viognier.

My note for the Odem from June 25th reads:

Yarden Odem Vineyard Chardonnay 2010 - The wine has an inviting nose of tropical fruit and green melon. Although some of it is lost in the transfer from nose to palate, there is enough left to keep the mouth engaged. Add to that a nice dose of smokiness and vanilla and you've got quite an enjoyable wine, that is not weighed down by butterscotch and excessive creaminess. 14% AbV and $23 at the James Richardson duty free shop in Ben Gurion airport, but after the discount was applied the total cost was closer to $18. B-/**

My note for the Alma from June 3rd reads:

Dalton Alma Chardonnay-Viognier 2010 - The nose shows dusty pollen, and on the palate the floral notes develop into those of chamomile and dandelion. I found it difficult to detect other distinct fruit, but if I were forced to mention some, pear and peach would be on my short list. The finish has some bitter almonds. Overall, the wine is very dry, and the floral and fruit intensity is not sufficient to give a sensation of sweetness. Had I tasted it blind, I would have guessed that it was a Roussanne. Its really just the expectations that let me down, anticipating more expressive aromatics and floral character, but getting a wine austere and stinted instead. However, the wine is quite interesting on its own. I would like to point out that the label is misleading, listing Chardonnay before Viognier, even though the blend favors Viognier by two-to-one. 13.5% AbV and ~ $23 at tops.B/**

Best,
-> Pinchas
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby David Raccah » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:01 pm

Your comments are inline with mine - in terms of the Alma - that said still do not like it. Here i my note - this is getting fun :-) Note that our scores, given your skew or my skew are the same. Also the notes are common once it opens. That said, not as complex, in my opinion, as the Odem. The Odem has deeper fruit, more concentration, and a richer mouth. Funny - the Alma approach is where much of Israel is going. With Reca's RSW and others.

2010 Dalton Alma White Blend – Score: B+
The nose and mouth of this wine act in equal proportions to its blend. The wine is a blend of 66% Viognier and 34% Chardonnay. The wine is a real shame, personally, because it does not come close to being the hit that the pure Viognier was, and Dalton has said that they will continue with this Alma blend, and will not continue producing the pure Viognier.
The wine starts off with clear Chardonnay styling, pear, oak, cut grass, and green apple. The mouth is firm and not so round with lemon, some tropical fruit, and oak, all coming together ok. The finish is long with lemon zest, cloves, and spice. Over time the wine’s real winner comes out of hiding and does what it can to help this wine. The Viognier’s obvious stamp is made with lovely floral notes, honey, butterscotch, and lychee. The mouth finally fills out and adds in peach. The finish is lovely but not complex with hints of fig and date. This wine has so much more potential separate than combines, unfortunately this is not an example of the saying: ‘The whole is greater than the sum of its parts’. In this case the whole is a less than the sum of its parts.
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby David Raccah » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:07 pm

OK - I will admit my man that the 2010 was a let down, I did forget that on the Odem Chard. The 2010 was lightweight and overall too much oak - note here. Between the Two - I would choose the Alma white. But given the track record of all things Odem Chard I would take it ahead of the Alma White.

2010 Golan Heights Winery Chardonnay Yarden Kosher Odem Organic Vineyard - Score: B+
This wine is normally a no brainer QRP winner but this one unfortunately will not receive that label, though the bottle is a still a fine kosher wine, just not what I was expecting. The nose starts off with a bit too much oak - far more than in past years. The true joy of this wine in the past was its controlled hand on the usage of oak, in comparison to the aggressively oaked Katzrin Chardonnay also from Yarden.

The nose starts off with spicy wood, followed by lovely floral notes of rose and violet, lemon, pear, and butterscotch. The mouth is medium in weight and with lemony goodness, nice brioche, baked apple, grapefruit, melon, lemon and more spicy wood. The finish is balanced with mineral, spice, cloves, lemon zest, lemon fresche, followed by vanilla and fig. Drink within the next two years.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Elie Poltorak » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:36 pm

I'll match David and raise. The 2010 Alma is an unmitigated disaster. The only explanation for Pinchas's preferring it to the Viognier is that it's more tart--which is Pinchas's end-all, be all. (Don't mean any disrespect--just trying to put it in context.) Any Odem is better. I like the Alma style--the Flam Blanc is a fabulous wine in that style and the Recanati SRW is pretty good, albeit insanely overpriced--but the 2010 Alma is a very poor specimen. I look forward to trying the '11 once it makes it to these shores, but what I really look forward to is the techias hameisim (resurrection from the dead) of the incredible Wild Yeast Viognier for the '12 vintage!
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Harry J » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:03 pm

After following the conversation in the thread got the appetite for the dalton viognier. Have contacted all the major stores in brooklyn and all told me its out of stock. One guy in 5 towns selling an 06. Also found a yarden 09. Wonder if that's any good..
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Elie Poltorak » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:09 pm

Harry J wrote:After following the conversation in the thread got the appetite for the dalton viognier. Have contacted all the major stores in brooklyn and all told me its out of stock. One guy in 5 towns selling an 06. Also found a yarden 09. Wonder if that's any good..

Don't bother. The '09 Dalton Viognier is over the hill. Some bottles are still ok but it's hit or miss.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Harry J » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:36 pm

Thanks for the input. Was willing to pay for the 09 viog. Against Davids advice but noone in new york has it Just purchased the 2011 alma viognier chard.hope they like it .h.
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:11 pm

Harry J wrote:Thanks for the input. Was willing to pay for the 09 viog. Against Davids advice but noone in new york has it Just purchased the 2011 alma viognier chard.hope they like it .h.

If the 2011 then you're fine. :)
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Postby Yehoshua Werth » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:15 pm

Agree with the Flam Blanc from first whiff and tasting @ last Years KFWE been a fan.
1 ago Year+ top 10 for whatever reason was a 2007 Tishbi Special Reserve Chardonnay
Had a lot of what I needed...

And yet my cant stop talking about 2010 Agur Blanca that no one has seemed to respond too... Strange

Have a great day.... Been under the weather and not tasting for 2 weeks :)
A Gut Shabbos
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
Yehoshua Werth
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum