Yarden cabernet sauvignon 2009 WTN

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Yarden cabernet sauvignon 2009 WTN

Postby Arthur Juran » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:12 am

Dear Forumites!
Do You have WTN for this wine?
Best Regards
Arthur
Arthur Juran
Wine geek

Re: Yarden cabernet sauvignon 2009 WTN

Postby Gabriel Geller » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:13 am

Hi Arthur,

I have not yet tasted it but will hopefully do so in a few days. A friend told me that the wine seems to have good potential and is till in its infancy at this stage but apparently while still very nice, this is not the best ever vintage for the regular Yarden Cabernet Sauvignon. He reported that it has
good fruit, a strong tannic structure and a long lingering finish
however it felt still a bit closed even 2 days after having opened the bottle.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Isaac Chavel » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:24 am

My guess is that the future regular series wines will be cannibalized by all the single vineyard wines. I just do not see them improving in quality with all the best grapes going elsewhere.
Isaac Chavel
Wine guru

Postby Andrew B » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:04 pm

I actually thought the 2009 vintage was my favorite since the 2006, and I am not typically a big drinker of the Yarden regular series.
Andrew B
Wine guru

Postby Isaac C » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:17 pm

I had it a few months ago and thought it was really good, obviously very young, but still showed really well.
Isaac C
Ultra geek

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:41 pm

While there have been increasing numbers of single vineyard wines coming from GHW, I don't think they have (or have any plans to) "cannibalize" the "regular" Cabernet Sauvignon series which they take very seriously and really view as an icon of the Israeli industry and the true "flagship" of the winery. Successfully maintaining the consistent level of quality for the wine (the way they have for so many years) is very important to them and I would expect the wine to continue its level of excellence and aging ability for years to come. They have plenty of new and quality vineyards available to maintain the SV wines as well. Obviously in years there are no Katzrin, Rom or El-Rom wines, the level of grapes available for the series are higher, but there is no cannibalizing of the wines. The El-R
om has been around since 2001 with no noticeable deterioration of the regular series....
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Elie Poltorak » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:12 pm

I think there's some truth to both sides here. IMHO, the SVs have cannibalized the regular merlot, which used to be just as consistent as the CS but hasn't had a good vintage since '03. However, I haven't seen any decline in the CS at all--probably for the reason Yossie stated: it is their "flagship" wine. They make plenty of more expensive wines but the CS is what put their winery on the map and is still their mainstay. In fact, I think the '07 was one of their best vintages ever! The '09 is still VERY young but has promise. The '07 was unique in that despite its aging potential, it was more fruit forward and showed very well upon release, which is unusual for a Yarden CS. The '09 needs another year or so to become approachable.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Isaac Chavel » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:22 pm

On Yossie's take on Yarden CS --- certainly reasonable.
Isaac Chavel
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum