An edgy 2012 top wine thread

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

An edgy 2012 top wine thread

Postby Adam M » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:31 am

After providing you guys and gals with ample time to launch a more traditional thread soliciting your top 5 or 10 wines tasted this past year, I would like to ask a much more targeted question: of all the wines that you've enjoyed this past year, which single one - only one - would you take with you to a deserted island. I repeat, you are only allowed to take a single wine with you. All considerations relating to food pairing, what day of the week it is, what kind of glass you are using, what kind of mood you are in, what music is playing, etc, are irrelevant - because there is only room for a single bottle of wine :) !

My pick is the 2006 Yatir Shiraz. And yes, it was a very, very difficult and heart-wrenching decision.
Last edited by Adam M on Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam M
Wine guru

Re: An edgy 2012 top wine thread

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:04 am

WOW! Adam, very tough decision...

I think I'm going to say:

GHW, Yarden ROM 2008

P.S. Elchonon, let me say it for you: KD Sherry :lol:

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Elie Poltorak » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:15 am

Wow, this is the hardest question I've been asked in a LONG time! I'll go with the '07 Four Gates Cabernet Franc.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby YoelA » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:42 pm

Time to show my feisty New-York-origin self. Because I don't like the question or premise.

First if all, if I have to choose just one bottle, age-indexed, to take with me to the grave, why does it have to be a wine that I drank in the past year? Maybe I'd prefer one that I drank a couple of years ago. Or maybe it'll be one that I drink in the next couple of years, while I still have functioning taste buds.

Second, I don't know whether it'd a matter of age or volume but I don't remember what wines I drank this year. I would have to check all my posts here, and it's just not worth al that just to answer the question.

So I'm passing on this one.
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby Adam M » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:25 pm

Hi Yoel - you are perfectly free to be a difficult concreted-headed New Yorker about this. As a New Yorker myself, I am not the slightest bit offended. All the best, adam
Adam M
Wine guru

Postby Elchonon Hellinger » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:40 pm

Gabriel Geller wrote:WOW! Adam, very tough decision...

I think I'm going to say:

GHW, Yarden ROM 2008

P.S. Elchonon, let me say it for you: KD Sherry :lol:

Best,

GG

im not planing to doe, if I do, bury me in a barrel of the sherry
Elchonon Hellinger
Ultra geek

Postby Harry J » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:44 pm

Four Gates Chardonay 2005. H
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby David Raccah » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:52 pm

Elk - that may be more expensive than a Cadillac funeral, if the prices are as high, per bottle, as they say they are. also, that would be a whole lot of baal tashchis (waste of food). Why not go with a wooden box and bequeath the barrel to me :lol:

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Samuel A » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:24 pm

Very tough decision, but I would go with the 2006 Yarden Rom
Samuel A
Wine geek

Postby Jonathan D » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:21 pm

Great thread. I would say the 2005 Carmel limited edition
Jonathan D
Wine geek

Postby Pinchas L » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:59 am

Hi Adam,

The one wine that currently stands out in my mind is the Tishbi Single Vineyard Malbec 2009. If I'm not mistaken its the only wine I scored A- over the course of the year. Its made in a wonderfully refreshing style, possessing focused and layered fruit, and is versatile enough to pair with an array of dishes, or to be enjoyed on its own.

Best,
-> Pinchas
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:45 pm

Tough call since enjoyment is the key factor here, but I think I am sticking with my initial choice:

Golan Heights Winery, Yarden, Katzrin, 2008
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Adam M » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Pinchas L wrote:Hi Adam,

The one wine that currently stands out in my mind is the Tishbi Single Vineyard Malbec 2009. If I'm not mistaken its the only wine I scored A- over the course of the year. Its made in a wonderfully refreshing style, possessing focused and layered fruit, and is versatile enough to pair with an array of dishes, or to be enjoyed on its own.

Best,
-> Pinchas

Hi Pinchas - Now that's a wine that I never thought I would rush out and buy. But now I most certainly will! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks to all the others who have shared. The results so far have been quite interesting!
Adam M
Wine guru

Postby Pinchas L » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:30 pm

Adam M wrote:
Pinchas L wrote:Hi Adam,

Best,
-> Pinchas

Hi Pinchas - Now that's a wine that I never thought I would rush out and buy. But now I most certainly will! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks to all the others who have shared. The results so far have been quite interesting!

Adam,

BTW David has posted on a separate thread that the wine is now available on sale from Queen Anne Wines. As for my choice, I wasn't splitting hairs and I wasn't overly analytical, I chose what stuck in my mind. I liked it enough to order--what the winery claimed to be--the last five bottles the winery had in stock, and to have them shipped to my storage. The next time I retrieve wine from my offsite storage, I plan on including several of those bottles.

Best,
-> Pinchas
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby David Raccah » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:39 pm

Last five bottles - LOL!!! When I was there, a week or two ago, there was a wall of bottles. That said - who am I to argue with commerce!!!
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Isaac C » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:48 pm

If I had to choose one wine that I tasted, but didn't really drink, it would be the Katzrin 2008. If I was choosing one wine that I actually opened and drank I would choose the Galil Yiron 2005 - one of my all-time favorite wines that is just so enjoyable - and if I only get one bottle, please make mine a magnum!
Isaac C
Ultra geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum