The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Big charity tasting

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

WTN: Big charity tasting

by Ryan M » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:12 pm

Back in October (10/19/12), I went to the annual charity tasting for the local hospital. Wanted to share just to show that there are actually some nice wine events in Yankton. Quite a fun event, lots of local venders with excellent food too. Over 80 wines available for tasting, but I took a focused approach.

First the highlights, then a roundup of the rest.

Villa Maria, Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough 2011
Classic Marlborough nose. On the palate, ripe fruit, but with good restraint and acid balance. 3 Stars

Forefront (by Pine Ridge), Pinot Noir, California 2010
Fruit from San Lois Obipiso, Santa Barbara, and Sonoma. Wonderful, earthy, gamey, Burgundian nose of dark fruits. Similar on palate though somewhat reticent, but succulent and promising nice dark fruit. Can age a few years, and will benefit. I like it! 3 Stars

Columbia Crest, Grand Estates, Amitage, Columbia Valley 2008
Cab Sauv, Merlot, and Syrah. Wonderful Washington nose of earth, roses/floral notes, tobacco leaf, and pleasant greeness, with elegant tone. Similar on the palate, with wonderful dark and tart red fruit; awesome body. Can go another 5 - 10 years. 3.5 Stars

Conn Creek, Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley 2007
Good Napa nose of leather, earth, tobacco, and black raspberry. Similar on the palate, with excellent tone and good density, but holding back. Needs time, but should be awesome. Give it 5 years, and might last for 10 years or more beyond that. Impressive! 3.5 Stars

Oyster Bay, Chardonnay, Marlborough 2010
Wonderful nose. Tropical fruits and flowers. Marlborough style fruit with nice aromatics. Love it. 3 Stars

Oyster Bay, Pinot Noir, Marlborough 2011
Wonderfully aromatic. Tart red fruit, floral notes, earthy, with nice depth. A little young, needs air or time. 3 Stars

Jacuzzi, Arneis, California 2010
Wonderful! Pleasant vegetal notes, creme fraiche, citrus rind, wonderful ripe pear, orange, and stone fruits. A faithful Arneis, but so rich. I love it! 3.5 Stars

Cline, Mourvedre, Ancient Vines, Contra Costa County 2011
Dark, slightly tarry fruit, with tart red fruits, and some nice floral softness behind it all. Awesome fruit density. I like it. 3 Stars

Farrier, Presshouse Meritage, Alexander Valley 2008
48% Merlot, 41% Cab Franc, 11% Cab Sauv. Pure, dark fruit with wonderful tart red fruit providing balance. Succulent body and exceptional aromatics. Outstanding. I love it. Drink over the next 10 - 15 years or more. 4 Stars

2.5 Star wines:
Pine Ridge, Chenin-Viognier, California 2010
Chamisal, Chardonnay, Stainless, Sonoma 2011
Santa Cristina, Pinot Grigio, Sicilia 2011
Cline, Cashmere, California 2011
Oyster Bay, Merlot, Marlborough 2011
Cline, Zinfandel, Ancient Vines, Contra Costa County 2011

2 Star wines:
Segehesio, Zinfandel, Sonoma 2010
Tomaresco, Neprica, Puglia 2010
Schloss Vollrads, Riesling, Rheingau 2010
J. Lohr, White Riesling, Monterey County 2011
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: WTN: Big charity tasting

by JC (NC) » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:34 pm

I have a couple bottles of 2008 Pine Ridge Pinot Noir from Forefront Vineyard so was interested in your note on the 2010.