The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Some good pre-Christmas wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Some good pre-Christmas wines

by Dale Williams » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:43 pm

Betsy made a favorite family recipe, an Asian accented beef stew with Chinese wheat noodles, wine was the 2009 Repris Right Bank Wine (Sonoma). There's a neck tag entitled Right Bank with a note this is a Merlot/Cab Franc blend. Black plums, some cocoa and spice. Full, richly textured. Clearly big wine with just a touch of heat (bottle shows 14.8 abv), but not OTT. As an homage to the Right Bank it does pretty well- I don't think if I was served this blind and told it was a ripe vintage of a mid-modern St. Emilion like Angelus or Beausejour-Becot I doubt I'd blink. I don’t drink much recent California cabernet/meritage, but thought this pretty good stuff in a lusher style. B+

Meatless Monday was a feta/spinach pizza, with the NV Clotilde Davenne Cremant de Bourgogne Rose Extra Brut. First bottle corked, 2nd quite nice. Crisp, strawberries and cherry, citrus zest, bread. Full and long, very good. B++

Tuesday was leftovers- chicken, beef stew, dressing, roasted vegetables. Wine was the 2010 Lapierre Morgon. Bright, red and black cherries, a little earth. This is the sulphured version. Very nice. B+/B

Wednesday was SOBER (reported elsewhere), and Thursday SOBER leftovers (vinuous and culinary). Friday was turbot, rice with nori, broccoli, and long beans with pepper and hoisin; wine was the 2009 Heritiers du Comtes Lafon “Clos de la Crochette” Macon-Chardonnay. Richer riper style of Macon, drinks more like a Meursault, nectarine and pear fruit, a little fat. B/B+

Saturday was chicken fried rice, slivered asparagus, and the 2011 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Kabinett (AP #16) . Vibrant, zesty, beautiful lime fruit with some slatey soil tones. Excellent (I’ve got the #3 as well, haven’t tried yet). A-/B+

With ham, potatoes, and salad, the 2011 Preto Rosado (Bierzo). I’m told this is rose, but could easily pass for red, Dark berries and a little grapey edge. Full, a hint of sweetness, unusual and fun wine. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: WTN: Some good pre-Christmas wines

by JC (NC) » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:13 pm

Sounds like some good food and wine. Where did you purchase the Cremant de Bourgogne Rose'?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Some good pre-Christmas wines

by Dale Williams » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:17 pm

Grapes the Wine Company in N. White Plains