The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Dinner at Marc D's

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Matthew Latuchie

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:41 am

Chicago, IL

TN: Dinner at Marc D's

by Matthew Latuchie » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:39 am

DINNER AT MARC'S - Marc's House - Bellingham, WA (12/3/2012)

Big thanks to the Davis' for hosting this night of wine and food. This was my first time out in Bellingham and all the locals really pulled out some great bottles to share. Thanks to everyone for their generous contributions - both wine and food!

Looking forward to my next visit.
  • NV Bereche et Fils Chardonnay Champagne Les Beaux Regards - France, Champagne, Montagne de Reims, Champagne
    Sweet nose of apples, fresh herbs and melon. Palate was energetic, and plush with nice mineral and truffle notes. Had great pear and apple tones too. (89 pts.)
  • 2008 Domaine Ganevat Côtes du Jura Les Chalasses Marnes Bleues - France, Jura, Côtes du Jura
    Incredible. Aromas of marzipan, apple, truffle, and flint. Palate was deep, layered and complex. This reminded me of grand cru burgundy...had the elegance, the flinty tones on the palate, the richness, and the acidity. Additionally, had subtle oxidative notes but this was toned down compared to many other Jura blancs. (94 pts.)
  • 2003 Clos Rougeard (Foucault) Saumur-Champigny "Clos" - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Saumur-Champigny
    Killer bottle of Cabernet Franc. When Rougeard is on, the focus and purity of the fruit can be painfully wonderful. This bottle was on, and it was exactly what I look for from the Loire. Pure red fruit, dried floral notes, fresh green pepper, and subtle tobacco notes were woven together perfectly. Lots of class and elegance. (94 pts.)
  • 2002 Domaine Robert Chevillon Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Perrières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru
    A beautiful 2002 Burgundy. Has the juiciness and sexiness of the 2002 vintage, with nice elegance, purity and depth too. I think some folks think about 2002 as a big fruit vintage, but this seemed to be more rustic - nice mushroom and earth aspect balanced the juicy fruit quite nicely. (91 pts.)
  • 1995 Domaine Marc Morey & Fils Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru En Virondot - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru
    From magnum. Great freshness on the nose with some seashell, apple, pear and peach. The palate seemed to be in a good place. Nice secondary notes of flint and truffle made this complex and quite lovely. (91 pts.)
  • 2010 Domaine Ganevat Côtes du Jura Cuvée Julien - France, Jura, Côtes du Jura
    This reminded me of some Loire pinots I've had. Potent nose of radish, tomato and floral notes. Palate was a bit sour, but turned the corner with some air to have some nice red fruit and earthy notes. This was pretty nice, but not in the "wow" territory for me. (88 pts.)
  • 2009 Jean Foillard Morgon Côte du Py - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon
    Beautiful, albeit tart aromatics. Cranberry and sour cherry were big and serious on the nose, with subtle wet leaves and earth too. Palate was REALLY juicy and seemed to really be tipping its cap to the 2009 vintage. To me, this seems to be a touch less complex than before...potentially entering a sleepy phase. (90 pts.)
  • 1999 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage Blanc - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Hermitage
    Aromatically this was a bit closed. Even with decanting the nose was shy with hints of lemon oil, melon, and herbs. The palate was silly and seductive with nicely integrated fruit and spice notes. My guess is that this needs a couple of years to flesh out more. (90 pts.)
  • 2004 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    This is great Pegau. Meaty, stinky, earthy...yum. Palate is classy and elegant with big time flavors. Drinking nicely and should continue to improve. (91 pts.)
  • 1996 Domaine Lucien Boillot et Fils Volnay 1er Cru Les Brouillards - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Volnay 1er Cru
    Liked this a lot and it felt like this was drinking during a good spot. Tannins were resolved, palate was red fruited and floral driven with nice earthy undertone. What's not to love? (90 pts.)
  • 1998 Gaja Langhe Nebbiolo Sperss - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC
    Lots of oak. The fruit was dark and deep so the oak integrated relatively well with the big fruit and structure. The tannins were nicely integrated and framed the fruit nicely. If I had more of these, I'd probably try to age the oak of it...I'm guessing the naked fruit is quite nice! (90 pts.)
  • 1978 R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Tondonia - Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja
    A real treat. Aromas of tea, nuts, dark fruit and dried flowers was seductive and sexy. As is the case with many LdH wines, the palate was subtly oxidized so there was this undertone of roasted nuts. It had dark fruit,wet leaves, tea and dried florals on the nose. Drinking beautifully well, but I'm sure this will last a while. (94 pts.)
  • 2001 Domaine Grand Veneur Châteauneuf-du-Pape Les Origines - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Lots of charcoal, dark fruit and smokey notes on the nose. The palate was big and dense. Vibrant tons of dark fruit and spices on the palate were pretty nice. The alcohol spiked for me a bit on the finish, came across a but hot which is surprising given the vintage. (87 pts.)
  • 1997 Dalla Valle Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville
    A pretty nice Cabernet. Big and juicy this had a lot of dark fruits, spicy oak, and wild flowers. Palate was still powerful and dense, loads of dark fruit, oak and floral notes. Still young, this needs some time for further develop. (89 pts.)
  • 2009 Dehlinger Chardonnay Estate Bottled - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley
    A pretty nice chard. Good integration of suble oak, fresh melon and orchard fruits. Pals was fresh and breezy. Nice stuff. (90 pts.)
  • 2010 Pierre Gonon St. Joseph - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph
    Took some time to open up, but another great example of cool climate Syrah. Beautiful combination of dark fruit, meat tones, and floral notes. Palate is lithe but powerful...lots of complexity and power all rolled into a featherweight package. Great stuff. (92 pts.)
  • 2010 Marc Plouzeau Touraine Ante Phylloxera Clos de Maulevrier - France, Loire Valley, Touraine
    Dang. Glad I bought a lot of this. So good. Crystalline red fruit, lots of green pepper and fresh tobacco. Plate has lots of grip, beautiful red fruit, leather and earth. I'd recommend decanting for about 60-90 minutes beforehand. (93 pts.)
  • 2004 Domaine Truchot-Martin Bourgogne - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne
    This was easily the best Bourgogne rouge I've ever had. Indelible density of flavor with the weight of a feather. Incredible red fruit notes, underbrush, and mushrooms. Complete package from a Bourgogne. (94 pts.)
  • 2004 Domaine Truchot-Martin Morey St. Denis 1er Cru Les Blanchards - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Morey St. Denis 1er Cru
    Yum yum yum. Elegant red fruit, great beef broth notes that I've noted before with lots of earthy and floral notes. As is the case with most Truchots the palate was airy and soft with intense flavor. Lovely stuff. (93 pts.)
  • 2007 Didier Dagueneau Pouilly-Fumé Silex - France, Loire Valley, Upper Loire, Pouilly-Fumé
    Big wine and hardly recognizable as Sauvignon Blanc. What this does do well is showcase abundant tropical fruit, nice texture (so weird to say for a sauvignon blanc!) and great acidity. So while this steps outside the realm of Loire Sauvignon Blanc, it still tastes pretty darn good. (90 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
Last edited by Matthew Latuchie on Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: TN: Dinner at Marc D's

by Mark Lipton » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:43 am

Where Matt goes, so goes the Truchot! :wink: Nice notes. I'm especially appreciative of the note on the '04 Pegau, as I bought some of that as a birthyear wine for our son. It sounds like it'll be something special with a bit more age. And no candied notes on the '09 Foillard CdP?? :twisted:

Mark Lipton

p.s. You might want to change the spelling of Marc's first name in your notes -- we Marks can be sensitive to that sort of thing.
no avatar
User

Matthew Latuchie

Rank

Ultra geek

Chicago, IL

by Matthew Latuchie » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:56 am

Mark Lipton wrote:Where Matt goes, so goes the Truchot! :wink: Nice notes. I'm especially appreciative of the note on the '04 Pegau, as I bought some of that as a birthyear wine for our son. It sounds like it'll be something special with a bit more age. And no candied notes on the '09 Foillard CdP?? :twisted:

Mark Lipton

p.s. You might want to change the spelling of Marc's first name in your notes -- we Marks can be sensitive to that sort of thing.

Oops...thanks for pointing that out. Corrected!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:12 pm

So sorry we weren't able to join you that night, Matt, but I heard it was a pretty full house so it might be a good thing we weren't in town. I heard all about your Truchots from Gabe, and the Bourgogne in particular. What he somehow managed not to mention was that it was an '04--now I'm REALLY impressed!!!

Enjoyed the notes, thanks.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:51 pm

Matthew Latuchie wrote:2002 Domaine Robert Chevillon Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Perrières[/url] - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru
A beautiful 2002 Burgundy. Has the juiciness and sexiness of the 2002 vintage, with nice elegance, purity and depth too. I think some folks think about 2002 as a big fruit vintage, but this seemed to be more rustic - nice mushroom and earth aspect balanced the juicy fruit quite nicely.

I'm far from an expert, but I think about 2002 as showing less acidic detail than vintages like 01 or 08, even if it's in the 'rustic/earthy/tannic' side of things. Which is consistent with your notes.
no avatar
User

Matthew Latuchie

Rank

Ultra geek

Chicago, IL

by Matthew Latuchie » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:09 pm

Jenise wrote:So sorry we weren't able to join you that night, Matt, but I heard it was a pretty full house so it might be a good thing we weren't in town. I heard all about your Truchots from Gabe, and the Bourgogne in particular. What he somehow managed not to mention was that it was an '04--now I'm REALLY impressed!!!

Enjoyed the notes, thanks.

Jenise - would have been great to meet you...Marc did mention that you were out of town. Looks like I'll be headed back to Bellingham towards the end of January or early February, so here's hoping we're able to connect.