TN GHW Yarden Noble Semillon Botrytis: New Vintage!

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

TN GHW Yarden Noble Semillon Botrytis: New Vintage!

Postby Gabriel Geller » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:56 am

A few days ago, I ordered from GHW some Yarden Botrytis as it was reported that 2006 would be the last vintage for this wine I've always loved and that is the one and only Israeli interpretation of a Sauternes. As they told me that they still had some available I didn't think twice and ordered a few cases.

To my surprise, when I opened my cases the label showed that this is the 2007 vintage! Another intriguing fact is that the 2006 didn't have the "Botrytis" on the label while the 2007 does. Very strange, I'll try to get in touch with the winery to see what's the explanation here.

Best,

GG
Last edited by Gabriel Geller on Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Re: GHW Yarden Noble Semillon Botrytis: New Vintage!

Postby Yehoshua Werth » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:04 pm

Had the 2010 Heights wine and WOW...

and Yes looking to hear how the Botrytis is as well

Yes both new vintages

2010 Yarden Heights Wine
2007 Yarden Botrytis

looking to hear how others smiled with these bottles :)
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
Yehoshua Werth
Wine guru

Postby David Raccah » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:08 pm

Hey Yehoshua,

Since it has been too long since we have "disagreed" on life, please answer honestly! Have you EVER tasted a wine that you have not liked?

Peace be with you,
David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Yehoshua Werth » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Many of which I don't promote.I save my efforts of video's and written reviews for those that might reach someones table in a good way.
Setting a goal of finding what people will like versus beating on what I don't.

Yet the list is long and we carry many I am not a fan of in our store and others find them nice... Why? I don't know. :)

Thank you for another thought that is right on :)
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
Yehoshua Werth
Wine guru

Postby Mike BG » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:01 pm

Last month's (Israeli) Yayin Vegourmei magazine had a piece about dessert wines. They interviewed someone from the winery who said the 2006 would be the last one because it was never a commercial success. Not that I recall them ever marketing it seriously ...
Mike BG
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:57 pm

Mike BG wrote:Last month's (Israeli) Yayin Vegourmei magazine had a piece about dessert wines. They interviewed someone from the winery who said the 2006 would be the last one because it was never a commercial success. Not that I recall them ever marketing it seriously ...

So they probably made a mistake and meant that 2007 was the last. Anyway many questions left unanswered here. I'll try to get a hold of Victor. Anyway... I'm totally with you Mike and I could have easily come up with a bunch of ideas to promote it had they asked me. I see no reason why the Heightswine would be a success and not the Botrytis. IMHO the story behind it, with the laboratory-controlled vineyard's manipulation to expose the vines to botrytis cinerea fungus is a lot more fascinating than the artificial freezing of late harvested Gewürztraminer. Not to mention the comparison with Sauternes, Yquem and what's surrounding this kind of wines in literature, poetry and the passion showed by collectors for the best of these wines...
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:07 pm

Now that Château d'Yquem decided to skip making a 2012, I'm just hoping someone convinces them to use the grapes for a kosher run...
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:24 pm

Yossie Horwitz wrote:Now that Château d'Yquem decided to skip making a 2012, I'm just hoping someone convinces them to use the grapes for a kosher run...

I'm sure that with some serious lobbying and some loaded kosher winos and the right connections we could make it happen somehow. I'm all in to help on such a project. :D Quite doubtful if it could be profitable but what the heck! I wouldn't do it for the money. Only the idea of it makes me salivating... :P
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Lior Yogev » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:08 am

Hi Gabriel,

Actually, it's not the only Israeli botrytis, perhaps the only current one :)

In 1988 the sauv blanc vineyards got a natural botrytis (unlike the artificial one in the wines in question), making the first ever as far as I know
Had the honor of tasting it a about a year ago, truly wonderful

Lior

Lior Yogev
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:56 am

Hi Lior,

Yes, I know about the botrytised 1988 Yarden Sauvignon Blanc but I was indeed referring to the only current one... :(

Never had the luck to taste it... :cry: Was it still good?

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Lior Yogev » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:03 pm

It has lost its acidity way back, but it had complexity, and some grace, and it was a very interesting wine. I tasted it blind (knew the vintage only, didn't know it's Israeli) so it's an unbiased impression. Was VERY surprised when the label was unveiled. I have Hebrew TNs if anyone's interested.

Lior
Lior Yogev
Wine guru

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:25 pm

A link to your Hebrew TN would be great! I tasted this only once but it was nearly 8 years ago...
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Lior Yogev » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:58 pm

Enjoy :)

http://www.drinking.co.il/2011/06/11/ag ... s_tasting/

Tasted with some other forum members, btw

Lior
Lior Yogev
Wine guru

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:23 pm

Thanks - I don't have detailed notes but certainly agree with it being an Israeli milestone wine!
http://www.yossiescorkboard.com/?page_id=2411
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Mike BG » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:31 pm

Gabriel Geller wrote:
Yossie Horwitz wrote:Now that Château d'Yquem decided to skip making a 2012, I'm just hoping someone convinces them to use the grapes for a kosher run...

I'm sure that with some serious lobbying and some loaded kosher winos and the right connections we could make it happen somehow. I'm all in to help on such a project. :D Quite doubtful if it could be profitable but what the heck! I wouldn't do it for the money. Only the idea of it makes me salivating... :P

Maybe ... but maybe some serious lobbying could make GHW reconsider their decision to stop selling the Noble Semillon?
Mike BG
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:50 pm

Hi Mike,

May be... But if 2007 really is indeed the last vintage (a question that must be answered by someone from the winery, Yossie: you've got a mission for next week ;) ) then that's already 5 years ago. So I wonder and fear for what might have happened to that laboratory-controlled vineyard of Semillon. :|

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:55 pm

I will ask Victor and report back!
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Andrew B » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:06 am

Yossie Horwitz wrote:I will ask Victor and report back!

I'd ask about the extended age sparklers first... :mrgreen:
Andrew B
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:52 pm

OK, So I finally tasted the wine today in the good company of Bustan's winemaker Yaakov Fogler and I'd be lying if I said that this is the best vintage. It's very good and will be quite interesting to revisit over the 10+ coming years but drinking very nicely now.

GHW, Yarden Noble Semillon Botrytis 2007: Deep gold with on the nose dried apricots, candied orange peels and marzipan. Medium to full-bodied and round with a rich yet well-balanced sweetness with enough sharp acidity to keep it far from cloying. On first attack some dried mango and apricots, followed on the mid-palate by ripe sweet pomelo and spicy candied orange peels from the botrytis as well as honey and quince, honey, crème brûlée, quince jam and honeysuckle with again candied citrus with a touch of cinnamon and vanilla lingering on the long finish. There's a bit of acetate-ish heat that makes itself felt on the mid-palate though that luckily blows off after a few minutes and some vigorous swirling. A fruit-driven yet refined Sauternes-like wine with good depth that feels like it will develop nicely and gain substantial complexity over time, but while it's fairly exaggerated to say such a thing, it still felt a bit muted today, hiding some of its potential.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Re: TN GHW Yarden Noble Semillon Botrytis: New Vintage!

Postby Adam M » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:51 pm

Hi Gabriel - call me crazy, but I just don't understand how a wine with so many flavors and note can be muted, but simultaneously exaggerated? It just boggles my mind :lol: :?

Also, a wine that can last 10-20 years generally isn't going to really shine to its full potential upon release. And in my view it would take an extremely keen sixth sense to be able to project how a wine like this will evolve over the next 10+ years. I just purchased a case of this wine and wouldn't think of drinking it for another 5-10 years.

How much is this wine going for out by you?
Adam M
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:38 am

Adam M wrote:Hi Gabriel - call me crazy, but I just don't understand how a wine with so many flavors and note can be muted, but simultaneously exaggerated? It just boggles my mind :lol: :?

Also, a wine that can last 10-20 years generally isn't going to really shine to its full potential upon release. And in my view it would take an extremely keen sixth sense to be able to project how a wine like this will evolve over the next 10+ years. I just purchased a case of this wine and wouldn't think of drinking it for another 5-10 years.

How much is this wine going for out by you?

:lol: OK, I know what you mean Adam. It's just a feeling of mine as I've sipped the wine for about 2 hours watching the aromas and flavors blossom over that time but on opening the wine didn't show half of that. And still, even after a couple hours I still had a feeling, scientifically impossible to explain, that the wine hasn't showed it all and will likely change significantly over time. Having left enough in the bottle to sip a bit from it for 2-3 days I'll be checking its eventual evolution.
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Adam M » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:02 am

Gotcha, Gabriel. What's the wine going for out by you?
Adam M
Wine guru

Postby Yaakov B » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:27 pm

Gabriel, did you find out for certain if 2007 is the last year for this wine? I just had the 2006 and thought it was brilliant. It would be a darn shame if it stopped. I just heard from a pretty good source that it is certainly the last production but was hoping you heard otherwise.
Yaakov B
Cellar rat

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:57 pm

I met with Victor Schoenfeld last week and he confirmed that the 2007 is the last vintage.
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Next

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum