Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Kyocera Customer Service

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Kyocera Customer Service

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:19 pm

I own two Kyocera chef's knives, around 6.5 inch blades. I use them mainly in the summer, for tomatoes(the best knife for slicing those babies) cucumbers, and chopping other summer veggies. Over the years, the tips have broken off, and the blade edge gets nicks. Two weeks ago, I sent one knife back to them for repair or replacement (as per their guarantee) they make the judgments when it arrives. Today, I got it back, beautifully wrapped in the original box it came in and it looks like new. Actually, I cannot tell if it was the knife I sent. My second one, will be sent sometime this week for repairs. There was no fee, like there was about 5 or 6 years ago. Gene thinks we paid $10.00 to have two knives repaired. This time, we downloaded a form from their website and sent it in with the knife. I love this type of customer service and want to share just in case any of you have a knife that needs fixing or are considering on buying one as a gift. :D
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Kyocera Customer Service

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:28 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:I own two Kyocera chef's knives, around 6.5 inch blades. I use them mainly in the summer, for tomatoes(the best knife for slicing those babies) cucumbers, and chopping other summer veggies. Over the years, the tips have broken off, and the blade edge gets nicks. Two weeks ago, I sent one knife back to them for repair or replacement (as per their guarantee) they make the judgments when it arrives. Today, I got it back, beautifully wrapped in the original box it came in and it looks like new. Actually, I cannot tell if it was the knife I sent. My second one, will be sent sometime this week for repairs. There was no fee, like there was about 5 or 6 years ago. Gene thinks we paid $10.00 to have two knives repaired. This time, we downloaded a form from their website and sent it in with the knife. I love this type of customer service and want to share just in case any of you have a knife that needs fixing or are considering on buying one as a gift. :D

That's good to hear. One of the reasons we don't have any ceramic knives is my skittishness over chipping or breaking the blades. Sounds like that's not an issue for the Kyoceras.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Kyocera Customer Service

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:49 pm

That's good to hear. One of the reasons we don't have any ceramic knives is my skittishness over chipping or breaking the blades. Sounds like that's not an issue for the Kyoceras.

Well, they are certainly not known as work horses. You do not want to expose them to bones, winter squash, or any sort of prying. They stay sharp, are light weight, and do the job fast. That is why summer gives them the most use for me. They go through tomatoes, summer squashes, cucumbers, lettuce, and they do a great job with garlic cloves. My only problem is that they are so quick, I have to be careful that I do not slice the tip of a finger off. :( I do love them and they have their own purpose. The pairing knives are great, as well. But with the great potatoes peelers out now, I find I use them less and less. I use my potato peelers, for cucumber peeling, celery strings, potatoes of course, mangos, and more.