Wine to serve with venison

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Wine to serve with venison

Postby Bill Coleman » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:19 pm

That is, roasted leg of venison, venison sausage, and venison soup. Any suggestions?
Bill Coleman
Ultra geek

Re: Wine to serve with venison

Postby Gabriel Geller » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:58 pm

I had venison at Tierra Sur last year. Paired it with Herzog Special Reserve Syrah 2005. It was perfect. Go with Syrah! 8)
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby David Raccah » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:24 pm

Syrah if made with spice or cab if made on the sweeter side :D
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby lewis.pasco » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:26 pm

Aww, C'mon David, I'll bet you could think of a Carignane that would be a great match for Venison :wink:
Life is too short to drink bad wine.
lewis.pasco
Ultra geek

Postby Andrew B » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:37 pm

I like Cab Franc with gamey flavors, particularly here with a few years of bottle age.
Andrew B
Wine guru

Postby Bill Coleman » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:50 pm

Wow, four Jews, 3 1/2 opinions!
Bill Coleman
Ultra geek

Postby Adam M » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:22 pm

Agree with what's been said so far, ESP the cab franc

I'd also like to try this meat with a full bodied Pinot such as the new Landsman Pinot from Covenant.
Also a well made Zinfandel from e.g., dalton or the prix line from Hagefen

The cab/Syrah/zin blend from the Herzog special reserve series would also be interesting
Adam M
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel W » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:43 am

For venison, I would avoid anything very structured, as venison has almost no fat to balance out the tannin. If the roast is a slow-long fall apart type of roast, you probably have more flexibility, if it's kind of rare, the texture is more like rare tuna than say beef or lamb. The kosher venison is almost for sure farm-raised and far less gamey than you may expect, but I think brambly-juicy wines like a Southern Rhone or a Zin would pair well. I would pair Syrah and Pinot with game and mutton and would choose one over the other based on how lean the meat is. The Coalition would probably be my current Shirah choice for venison because it's not particularly tannic and it has crazy aromatics.
If the sausage is spicy, I would avoid the wine and go for some good beer. A dark Belgian or a stout/porter would be my choice.
I like all red wine with a hearty soup.

My current wine picks for venison:
Four Gates Pinot (Binyo's terroir and Pinot work so well together)
Brobdingnagian Besomim (earlier Zin based vintages)
Brobdingangian Rogers Creek Syrah (can't remember what the tannins are like but it's super herbal, like bay leaf, Herb de Provence)
Brobdingangian Makom (spicy, Southern Rhone medium bodied styled wine)
Shirah The Coalition 2010
Gabriel W
Ultra geek

Postby Bill Coleman » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:03 am

Thanks for the advice, everybody. I was able to read the first four posts prior to the dinner.

In the event, I followed the 1 1/2 opinions suggesting syrah and chose the 2009 Power to the People. It was fruity with apricot overtones and spicy. I tasted cardamon. Everyone at the table loved it. The meat, as Gabriel explained, was not the least bit gamey and I thought the wine paired well with it.
Bill Coleman
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:50 am

Bill Coleman wrote:Thanks for the advice, everybody. I was able to read the first four posts prior to the dinner.

In the event, I followed the 1 1/2 opinions suggesting syrah and chose the 2009 Power to the People. It was fruity with apricot overtones and spicy. I tasted cardamon. Everyone at the table loved it. The meat, as Gabriel explained, was not the least bit gamey and I thought the wine paired well with it.

Nice! I'd also have picked my one and only bottle of PttP to pair with venison 8) but as far as I know, venison meat is not available in Israel (info anyone?) :cry:
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Andrew B » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:06 pm

Good call on PTTP. I think it pairs well with a variety of foods since it has some white wine qualities as well (apricot, etc., as noted by Bill). Someone last year asked me for a good pairing for steak salad, and I recommended PTTP as well.
Andrew B
Wine guru

Postby Drew Hall » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:59 am

I eat quite a lot of venison in the States, Maryland/Pennsylvania harvested, and like to pair with zinfandal. We typically do long roasts, fall off the bone and braising with lots of caramelized onion/garlic, so zins work very well.

Drew
Drew Hall
Wine guru

Postby ChaimShraga » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:49 pm

Bill Coleman wrote:Wow, four Jews, 3 1/2 opinions!

:D
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
ChaimShraga
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum