The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Correggia Roche d'Ampsej '07...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Correggia Roche d'Ampsej '07...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:45 am

Tried over the last week repeatedly:
1. MatteoCorreggia Roche d'Ampsej DOCG: RoeroRiserva (14.5%; 100% Nebbiolo; www.GiulianaImports.com) Canale 2007: Med.dark color w/ slight bricking; rather tarry/earthy/Nebb/graphite/pungent very slight floral/lilacs slight Italian sausage/dried herbs nose; very hard/tannic/astringent/bitey some tarry/earthy rather acid/tart/lean very slight floral/lilacs almost no fruit quite hurtey flavoor; med. dried Italian herbs/earthy hard/tannic/bitey tart/lean very slight lilacs/violets some tarry/pungent finish; poster child for all that's wrong w/ Piedmonte Nebbiolo; a paucity of fruit and fierce tannins that never subside; the vinous equivalent of RedSkelton's MeanWiddleKid. $42.00 (SFW&S)
1. I opened this Sunday afternoon to share w/ a friend who loves Italian wines. You don't often see a Nebbiolo from the Roero. The hard/unyielding tannins did not make for a pleasant experience. I left the btl w/ the remaining wine standing on the counter to breathe and eventually soften the fierce tannins. The wine remained hard as nails over the entire 5 days I tried it, with the only substantial change being a diminuation of what little fruit was there. I thought for young/tannic wines, the breathing was supposed to soften the tannins and make them more drinkable?? Or does that not apply to Nebbiolo? Or did I not wait long enough?? Or does it not apply to my counter?? Or breathing does not soften a wine at 7500' altitude?? Beats heck out of me.
Tom
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: WTN: Correggia Roche d'Ampsej '07...(short/boring)

by Ian Sutton » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:57 pm

Difficult to say.
I do like Piemontese Nebbiolo and also old-school style, which means I accept that they may be truculent b*stards in youth, but then I'm banking on being interesting in a decade or three away. Sometimes they come round, sometimes they don't. Personally if I know a wine is in that style I'll give it 15-25+ years from vintage to accept the gamble (I've barely dipped into my 1996s yet - and then from wines that were likely to be lighter framed). Where I'd be less happy taking a gamble, is in a wine that is likely to be heavily structured and it's still in it's youth. Sometimes the fruit is still there strong enough to make it work, but often it can just be tough carapace of a wine.... just as you've found

There are plenty (especially from the modernists) that offer drinkability at 5 years old. Some I'm sure will age well, maybe not in the same way, but they seem to have found a better middle ground than some of the more radical early modernist wines. 2000 Molino Gancia Barolo has been a pleasure to drink for as long as we've had it - it has a better balance for drinking in it's youth. Not sure where it will end up, but we have a few more bottles & will see.

regards
Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster