Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Killer Potato Latkes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Killer Potato Latkes

by Jenise » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:52 pm

Love love love potato latkes, and this recipe that came on Food & Wine Daily's email (not something I signed up for, it just started coming recently and I'm enjoying it for now) looks like it could be the ultimate because of the way it breaks the potatoes down into two types and multiple steps. It's attributed to that weird guy with the TV shows about travelling the world eating bugs, Andrew Z-something (not seen the show, too squeamish for it). Will try it on Tuesday, should be perfect for an all-sparkling topic tasting-group night.

KILLER POTATO LATKES

1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
Sea salt
2 pounds baking potatoes
1 large onion, finely diced
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup matzo meal
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
Vegetable oil, for frying
Applesauce, crème fraîche, smoked salmon, salmon roe and dill sprigs, for serving

In a medium saucepan, cover the Yukon Gold potatoes with cool water, season generously with salt and bring to a boil. Cook the potatoes until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain well and immediately pass the potatoes through a ricer into a large bowl.

Working quickly, peel and grate the baking potatoes on the large holes of a box grater into a medium bowl. Press with a clean kitchen towel to remove excess moisture. Add half of the grated potatoes to the riced potatoes.

Transfer the remaining grated potatoes to the bowl of a food processor. Add the onion and pulse until the potatoes and onions are very finely chopped. Transfer to a fine-mesh sieve and press with the back of a spoon to extract as much liquid as possible. Add the potato-onion mixture to the large bowl. Stir in the eggs, matzo meal, white pepper and 2 teaspoons of salt.

In a large, heavy skillet, heat 1/4 inch of oil until shimmering. Working in 3 batches, spoon 1/4 cup of the potato mixture into the oil for each latke; press slightly to flatten. Fry over moderate heat, turning once, until the latkes are golden and crisp on both sides, about 7 minutes. Drain the latkes on a paper towel-lined baking sheet and sprinkle lightly with salt. Serve with applesauce, crème fraîche, smoked salmon, salmon roe and dill.

Make Ahead
The fried latkes can be kept at room temperature for up to 4 hours. Reheat them on a baking sheet in a 375° oven for about 5 minutes, or until warmed through and crisp.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Ken Schechet

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:54 pm

West Palm Beach, Florida

Re: RCP: Killer Potato Latkes

by Ken Schechet » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:12 am

Well, you're kind of close to the family recipe. Try this and see how it compares:

3 baking potatoes (grated)

1 good size onion (grated)

2 eggs (beaten)

2 - 3 Tbs matzo meal to hold everything together

Salt and Pepper to taste.

This batter can be made in a food processor using the grating blade and then the regular cutting blade to mix it all together. Even better if you hand grate the potatoes and onion.

You can hold them for a while as you describe, but they are so much better if they're eaten as soon as they come out of the pan. I use them basically as an appetizer. The vultures generally hang around the stove to get them immediately. It's a lot of fun. Then you just have dinner without a starch.
Ken
Save the earth! It's the only planet with wine.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:21 am

Jenise -what kind of food processor do you use?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:30 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:Jenise -what kind of food processor do you use?

I have a 30 year old Cuisinart which I love so much I even purchased another one at a yard sale for spare parts. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:36 pm

Ken, Andrew's recipe included the same kind of tale you tell of everyone standing around the stove to get them straight out of the pan. Sounds like a perfect holiday tradition! And yes, I can appreciate where there's nothing as good as fresh made (as with all things fried potato), but to take to a wine tasting I'm going to have to go the other way. There aren't many things you can take to someone else's house 30 minutes away and crisp up in five minutes that would also be super satisfying with champagne.