The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

What "Big Name" Wine/Grape/Region Do You Not "Get"?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

What "Big Name" Wine/Grape/Region Do You Not "Get"?

by Jeff B » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:46 pm

I write this in anticipation that Dom Perignon might be a common response. Yet, as I've mentioned in other posts, I've always had very pleasurable bottles of Dom and find it to be a finely crafted wine for the number of bottles made. It's actually one of my very favorite champagnes.

As for grapes or regions, I still haven't come across a Burgundy I like. I suspect that I just haven't tried the right ones. It's perhaps a bit ridiculous that I find it such a sublime component in Champagne yet, to the south, I don't taste the same magic in its still form.

I'm also not too big a fan of the "green" taste of Sauvignon Blanc.

What wine/grape/region do you not "get"?
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

Re: What "Big Name" Wine/Grape/Region Do You Not "Get"?

by Jay Labrador » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:46 pm

I agree with you on Sauvignon Blanc. Viognier is another one I don't get.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

Noel Ermitano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:28 am

by Noel Ermitano » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:53 pm

Jeff B wrote:What wine/grape/region do you not "get"?

Wine: Penfolds Grange
Grape: Aussie shiraz
Region: Several actually
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:46 pm

There are wines that I don't like as much as others, but I'm not sure I don't 'get' them. I mean I can usually see why other people might like them.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:06 pm

The one that comes to mind is quite specific, and that is wines from the Beckstoffer vineyards. I do understand why some would find them appealing, but do not understand why they are considered to be so special.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:08 pm

I despise 99.9% of Sauvignon Blanc. I cannot see why anyone would drink them.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:11 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I despise 99.9% of Sauvignon Blanc. I cannot see why anyone would drink them.

I can understand why some would not care for Sauv Blanc, but for me, it has the potential for such remarkable focus, purity, and depth.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:14 pm

Sancerre.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:06 am

Chile.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:00 am

Sauvignon Blanc, except Sancerre.
Syrah/Shiraz
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

by Jeff B » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:35 am

At least there has been no mention of champagne yet, so all replies have been appreciated... :D

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Patrick Martin

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:28 am

by Patrick Martin » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:46 am

Red Burgundy (love the white and fizzy versions)
Barbera (virtually all I've tried have tasted like charmless charred creosote with shrill acids)
Aussie Shiraz
Parkerized everything (but especially CDP and St Emilion)
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:55 am

I never reckoned much for Spatburgunder but a real surprise in my glass here from Weingut Knab. Very worthy of going back for 2 more bottles for sure.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:03 am

Shiraz (but I love cool climate Syrah)
Lambrusco
Warm climate Chardonnay
Warm climate Merlot
Tim York
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:42 am

Red Bordeaux. OK - if it is a good mature example I can appreciate it, but I don't "get" the style in the way that I do many other wines.

In terms of varieties - any grape with the word Cabernet or Sauvignon in it - which might explain my problem with Claret. I like white Bordeaux though, including Sauternes - it must be the Semillon.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:40 am

Rahsaan wrote:There are wines that I don't like as much as others, but I'm not sure I don't 'get' them. I mean I can usually see why other people might like them.

I'm with Rahsaan on this, I think. Some of the grapes, I don't like as much as others include Malbec, Carménère and Shiraz from down-under. I keep trying these once in while but only at tastings.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:50 am

Jeff B wrote:At least there has been no mention of champagne yet, so all replies have been appreciated... :D

Jeff

Actually, that is me but I was going to spare you the pain. There are a few exceptions (Pierre Peters, Duvall-Leroy, Billecart-Salmon) but otherwise I just don't understand the love that many have for it. I am just as happy if not happier with a good CA sparkler or Cava at a fraction of the price.

As for grapes, I have never appreciated Gewurtztraminer. I think I grasp why some like it so that probably does not fit the OP.

Flipping the question around and I don't get why the S. Italian wines don't get more love but am happy they don't. Prices have stayed reasonable while selection has slowly increased over the years.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

by Brian Gilp » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:59 am

Jay Labrador wrote:I agree with you on Sauvignon Blanc. Viognier is another one I don't get.

I never liked Viognier until I tried Cold Heaven http://www.coldheavencellars.com/. This is not the big, lush, oily style of Viognier. The 2010 are especially nice with the Sanford and Benedict showing the best. Not sure if you can get them or if its even worth it to you to try but this is one wine that may help you understand, it did for me.
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:08 am

Brian Gilp wrote:
Jay Labrador wrote:I agree with you on Sauvignon Blanc. Viognier is another one I don't get.

I never liked Viognier until I tried Cold Heaven http://www.coldheavencellars.com/. This is not the big, lush, oily style of Viognier. The 2010 are especially nice with the Sanford and Benedict showing the best. Not sure if you can get them or if its even worth it to you to try but this is one wine that may help you understand, it did for me.

Brian, thanks. I'll look out for this.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:30 pm

To my eternal shame, Riesling. <sob>

Also Sauvignon Blanc and Viognier.

My growing hypothesis is that the high-aromatic class of wines blasts my scent and taste receptors in ways that bother me more than most wine geeks.
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:37 pm

For me, wine is very much an integral part of mealtime, so I don't get the obsession with over-ripe, flabby, overblown alcoholic wines that smother food from any region or grape. This rules out 95% of what comes from Australia and California. The one region most befuddling to me though, is Napa, and the obsession people have with it. I have tasted some very good wines from Napa, if the winemaker understands how to show restraint. What I don't get is how people are still duped to buy stupidly overpriced, very lush wines that have no nuance other than explosive fruit and oak, because they think they must hold on to the status symbol that "Napa is everything" and they want to impress their friends.

Another thing I don't get are people who say "I only drink Cab".
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:44 pm

Jeff B wrote:At least there has been no mention of champagne yet, so all replies have been appreciated... :D

Jeff

Jeff-

Not to be a pot-stirrer, but one thing I don't get about Champagne is why people are so obsessed with the big Champagne houses, when you can buy much superior (IMO) RM Champagnes for much better values. Why buy massed-produced when you can have very small production, hand-crafted, family owned-estate Champagne that carries with it so much soul?

The exception I could see might be some of the very old Champagnes you have mentioned from the big houses in another post. Personally, I have not had the pleasure of tasting a Champagne much older than the early 90s, so I can't speak to the super-aged stuff.
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

by Jeff B » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:35 pm

Joy Lindholm wrote:

Jeff

Jeff-

Not to be a pot-stirrer, but one thing I don't get about Champagne is why people are so obsessed with the big Champagne houses, when you can buy much superior (IMO) RM Champagnes for much better values. Why buy massed-produced when you can have very small production, hand-crafted, family owned-estate Champagne that carries with it so much soul?

The exception I could see might be some of the very old Champagnes you have mentioned from the big houses in another post. Personally, I have not had the pleasure of tasting a Champagne much older than the early 90s, so I can't speak to the super-aged stuff.

Hi Joy,
Thanks for the response. I'm sure you're correct about many of the RM champagnes. The main reason that house champagne occupies the bulk of my cellar is that those are the bottles most easily obtainable for me and I've had the best experiences with them. So part of it is sticking with what I know and love. There's just much greater variety available to me with quality house champagne than with RM champagnes. But, money-wise, I have no doubt that the grower champagnes would likely carry a better value.

Also, when I first fell in love with champagne, all the books I owned dedicated the bulk of coverage and study to the big houses. So there is a natural "fascination/romance" instilled about many of the big name houses and their wines. Hopefully, I haven't become so big of a champagne snob that I start to intentionally overlook grower champagnes. Because I wouldn't want to do that. But it is true that I find a great deal of pleasure and mystique in the big house wines.

Jeff
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

by Brian Gilp » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:38 pm

Joy Lindholm wrote:For me, wine is very much an integral part of mealtime, so I don't get the obsession with over-ripe, flabby, overblown alcoholic wines that smother food from any region or grape. This rules out 95% of what comes from Australia and California. The one region most befuddling to me though, is Napa, and the obsession people have with it. I have tasted some very good wines from Napa, if the winemaker understands how to show restraint. What I don't get is how people are still duped to buy stupidly overpriced, very lush wines that have no nuance other than explosive fruit and oak, because they think they must hold on to the status symbol that "Napa is everything" and they want to impress their friends.

Another thing I don't get are people who say "I only drink Cab".

A number of years ago, my wife and I were in the cellar at Citronelle with the Som at the time and as he was showing us around I will never forget his one line. "And over there are the California Cabs. They don't go with anything on the menu but we sure sell a helluva lot of them. "
Next