The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Dragon my feet at higher prices

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Dragon my feet at higher prices

by JC (NC) » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:22 pm

Stopped in a Charlotte wine shop to browse and came away only with a 2010 Dr. Fischer Ockfener Bockstein Spatlese although I was tempted by a Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprost Spatlese and Muller Catoir Riesling and Scheurebe Spatlese. I was astounded to see that Leitz Dragonstone was priced at $26+. (Owner/salesperson? said a New York firm bought up the Terry Theise business and probably inflated prices due to the increased popularity of Dragonstone.) I think I paid about $15 the last time I purchased it. Also the Lucien Crochet Sancerre was high $20's (not even the Le Chene designate) and Alphonse Mellot Sancerre "la Moussiere" was $33! The clerk blamed those prices on "Fifty Shades of Grey." I have not read the series, but apparently it mentions sipping Sancerre during a tryst and the clerk said all the sudden ladies were coming to his shop asking for Sancerre and it had never sparked that much interest before. I was chagrined because I would have bought the La Moussiere but not at that price.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: Dragon my feet at higher prices

by Dale Williams » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:06 pm

The Dragonstone is still typically a $15-18 wine (up from the $10-12 of early 2000s vintages, but so is everything). I see Grapes the Wine Company (Posner) has the 2010 for $13.xx (before discount), and a bunch of NY/NJ places have the 2011 for $13-15.
David B can correct me if I'm wrong, but the Skurnik/Theise collaboration stays the same.
Sancerre prices have gone up dramatically in last few years, but I think that predated the 50 Shades of Grey phenomenon (or at least my awareness of ths).
Sounds to me more like an overpriced shop with a line of patter.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: Dragon my feet at higher prices

by JC (NC) » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:12 pm

"Sounds to me more like an overpriced shop with a line of patter." Just what I was thinking, Dale. I decided not to pay the inflated prices the shop was asking.