The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN - Tahbilk, Chapoutier, Le Clos Jordanne

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

WTN - Tahbilk, Chapoutier, Le Clos Jordanne

by John S » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:51 pm

Had a dinner party last weekend, here's the wines I opened... The third bottle I've opened of the Chante Alouette was FINALLY worth drinking - better late than never, I guess. The first two were oxidized and awful. The ON chardonnay was a typical boring, overpriced Canadian wine, I'm afraid. Great zing in the Tahbilk, I buy some of this every year, you can drink it now or wait 10-12 years: there's not too many under $20 wines (CAD) you can say that about.

• 2008 Tahbilk Marsanne - Australia, Victoria, Central Victoria, Nagambie Lakes (11/26/2012)
    Used this for cooking - Cioppino and a pasta sauce - and had a leftover glass two days later. Light yellow with a slight green tinge. Yellow fruits on the nose and a nice floral note as well. Light to medium bodied but there's good intensity here: mainly citrus fruit, green apple and honeysuckle. Nice bright acidity but also with a slight oily texture. Nice now, but I'll try to save a few for another 5 years or so. (B+)
  • 2004 M. Chapoutier Hermitage Blanc Chante-Alouette - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Hermitage (11/25/2012)
    This bottle was the best I've had of this wine. Finally! Didn't take notes, but this reminded me of Musar blanc, in that it was quite funky in terms of flavour, with earthy tropical fruit, great balance and great complexity. (A-)
  • 2006 Le Clos Jordanne Chardonnay Claystone Terrace - Canada, Ontario, Niagara Peninsula, Twenty Mile Bench VQA (11/25/2012)
    Hazy notes from last night. We started off with this wine. Light in colour and not too much on the nose - some apple and oak notes. Not a lot of concentration on this light to medium bodied wine, and little intensity too. Some reasonable and typical fruit and oak notes on the palate, but rather dilute and boring. Not good QPR. (B)
"Tastes are perhaps first and foremost distastes, provoked by the disgust and visceral intolerance ... of the taste of others". Pierre Bourdieu (1984, p. 56)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN - Tahbilk, Chapoutier, Le Clos Jordanne

by Jenise » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:48 pm

I've had that 04 Chante several times, including a bottle purchased direct from the winery and drunk in France, and no two have been alike or particularly satisfying. Not at all surprised to conclude, after seeing your note, that all were drunk too soon.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:31 pm

Well, I think with Northern Rhone whites you either have to drink it soon after release or wait quite a while. The other two bottles I had in the last two years were awful: one was a hot alcoholic mess, the other completely oxidized. So it was nice to finally find a 'good' bottle. It was a very impressive wine; but I'm still only shooting 33%... :cry: :evil:
no avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

by ChaimShraga » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:08 pm

I realize I don't have enough experience to pass judgement - but then again, I don't intend to experiment with wines whose aging curve requires a third degree in mathematics to decipher - but Rhone whites remind me of the classic Neil Young song, "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere".
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:33 pm

John, I too am a great fan of the Tahbilk marsanne, but never have seen the 2008 this side of the border. I have some different vintages in the cabinet, but have also missed several vintages. I still have 1 or 2 bottles of the 95. I also have some 97, 96,99,00,02,06 and 09. A few weeks ago I opened 3 of the 02 before I found one that was drinkable. The first two had heat damage somewhere. The 01,03,04,05 vintages never made it to the USA AFAIK. A few years ago Alstair Purbrick offered to hand carry a couple bottles of the 01 from OZ to Cal and send them to me, but Kentucky being a felony state I felt I didn't want him to stick his nose out that way.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:58 pm

John S wrote:Well, I think with Northern Rhone whites you either have to drink it soon after release or wait quite a while. The other two bottles I had in the last two years were awful: one was a hot alcoholic mess, the other completely oxidized. So it was nice to finally find a 'good' bottle. It was a very impressive wine; but I'm still only shooting 33%... :cry: :evil:

"Hot alcoholic mess" describes the bottle from the winery (two days after purchase) and oxidized was Devin's bottle. Maybe not a time problem but bottle variation. Or better yet, instances of both.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:13 am

Bob Henrick wrote:John, I too am a great fan of the Tahbilk marsanne, but never have seen the 2008 this side of the border. I have some different vintages in the cabinet, but have also missed several vintages. I still have 1 or 2 bottles of the 95. I also have some 97, 96,99,00,02,06 and 09. A few weeks ago I opened 3 of the 02 before I found one that was drinkable. The first two had heat damage somewhere. The 01,03,04,05 vintages never made it to the USA AFAIK. A few years ago Alstair Purbrick offered to hand carry a couple bottles of the 01 from OZ to Cal and send them to me, but Kentucky being a felony state I felt I didn't want him to stick his nose out that way.

Bob, AFAIK, after Bartholomew Broadbent labored for several years to keep Tahbilk extant in the U.S., he finally gave up and sold back most of the remaining stock to Alex Purbrick. Since then, I don't believe Tahbilk has been coming in to the U.S. market. Sad.

Like you, I treasure the Tahbilk Marsanne, and some of the well aged Tahbilk Shiraz and Cabs were simply phenomenal wines...although they were getting too pricey for my purse just before they disappeared.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:04 am

Hoke wrote: Bob, AFAIK, after Bartholomew Broadbent labored for several years to keep Tahbilk extant in the U.S., he finally gave up and sold back most of the remaining stock to Alex Purbrick. Since then, I don't believe Tahbilk has been coming in to the U.S. market. Sad.

Like you, I treasure the Tahbilk Marsanne, and some of the well aged Tahbilk Shiraz and Cabs were simply phenomenal wines...although they were getting too pricey for my purse just before they disappeared.

Thanks for the reply Hoke, As you know the Tahbilk is probably my favorite white wine from anywhere. I also like the Tahbilk 1860 vines shiraz (and others) which I think is a better wine that the Penfolds Grange. That is simply my opinion you understand. My reasoning is that I like a wine to have more nuance than most reds from OZ have including the Grange. Grange is however a great wine and world class in quality as well as in price. The 1860 vines is a rather more refined, more nuanced, and more feminine in nature. Again IMO only. I once put the 1860 beside Grange at Mo'Cool and was surprised that few attendees had ever heard of it. BTW, it held it's own against such an august opponent. I think I have a few bottles left of the 1860 vines, but with prices well above the century mark, I doubt I will be able to withstand the price in the future. BTW, Tahbilk is now imported by Epic wines. which can be found at http://www.epic-wines.com/public/portfo ... ++++++++++

Another BTW, I was recently able to procure 2 bottles of the 1927 vines 2002 Marsanne for $36 per which I thought was a decent price. I believe the 2002 is the current release of the 1927 vines...can't wait for an occasion to try it. Might get some WLDG'ers to an offline in Cincinnati sometime in the near future.

Giving some credit and thanks, One year when Robin was in OZ to judge at the big competition he stopped at Tahbilk and picked up a bottle of their Rousanne (not exported) and hand carried it back to Kentucky for me. What a guy!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:00 am

Bob H , great thoughts. Did I tell you about the `08 Library Release Marsanne?
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:47 am

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Bob H , great thoughts. Did I tell you about the `08 Library Release Marsanne?

Bob, is there a Canadian importer of Tahbilk? AFAIK, the 08 never got to the USA, how was it. There has historically been Tahbilk import problems of some nature unknown to me. The current vintage of the marsanne in my area is 2009, but I do know (from their web page) that Epic has the 2010 and 2011 vintages in stock. I may have to find someone willing to send me some of each.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:22 am

From the archive.

Hey all you Tahbilkfanatics, just about to open the `06 entry level Marsanne so stay tuned. Oh, gift from Bob H. :D .