The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Which wine/region is your main passion?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

Which wine/region is your main passion?

by Jeff B » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:52 pm

I know this has been asked before, but what wine/region is your favorite?

I sacrifice a lot of pleasure in other wines just because my infatuation with champagne is that much greater. In other words, despite missing out on some amazing wines, I like focusing on the one I truly love rather than trying to squeeze in all wines and all regions.

Is there a wine you gravitate to above all others?

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Which wine/region is your main passion?

by Carl Eppig » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:28 pm

Depends. We drink mostly Finger Lakes stuff for everyday drinkers. All that is laid down is California or Europe.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:33 pm

Most of the wines I buy are local - either Niagara County, NY or Niagara Peninsula, NY. However, I am infatuated with the Loire - Vouvray, Chinon, Sancerre, Muscadet, etc.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:30 pm

My tag says it -- Zinaholic.
And yes, mostly very local, Russian River Valley and Dry Creek Valley. With > 150 wineries, several of them pretty good :evil: in half an hour's drive, why should I go farther except for an occasional adventure?
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:03 am

In beginning of my obsession, my main passion was California because that's all I knew. When I moved back East for graduate school I was exposed to the wines of Europe and I gradually shifted my focus to the Rhone Valley, as it produced big red wines such as I knew from my familiarity with California wines. More recently, my focus has again shifted, and while the Loire and the Mosel I hold dear in my heart, Burgundy (inclusive of the Beaujolais) has eclipsed them all. In another ten years ask again and I may tell you something differently.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:10 am

I try to be open to all the world's wines, with a nod to QPR, but when it comes to "comfort wines" for pleasant enjoyment it's likely going to be red, European, and Italian (Tuscany and its neighbors), Southern Rhone or Burgundy-including-Beaujolais.

I'd hate to be stuck without recourse to all the rest of the world, though, with Loire, Champagne and Euro-style California and Oregon wines ranking particularly high in the second tier.
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:04 am

No one region for me - I am passionate about high quality wines from around the world. Like Robin, QPR wines are a particular focus, but I don't really care where they are from.
"Tastes are perhaps first and foremost distastes, provoked by the disgust and visceral intolerance ... of the taste of others". Pierre Bourdieu (1984, p. 56)
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:30 am

My favorite red wine grape variety is Pinot Noir. My favorite white wine grape variety is Riesling. My regions of greatest interest are white and red Burgundies (including Chablis), and Pinot Noirs from Oregon and Sonoma County. However, there are wines from the Rhone, the Loire, Rioja, Tuscany, New Zealand, etc. that I can be passionate about--just don't have them as frequently.
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:38 am

A wine that I gravitate to above all others? German Riesling.

Wine regions that I seem to 'feel the gravity' to explore them more deeply as much I can as they strike a chord include the following:

the Loire (especially Chenin, Chenin, Chenin, Chenin and Muscadet), Champagne (particularly and especially grower bubbly), Beaujolais, Jura, Bugey, and Savoie, Switzerland, Alto Adige, Valle d'Aosta, Piemonte, Mount Etna, Canary Islands, Basque Country (on both the French and Spanish sides of the border), Priorat, Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia, Franken Silvaner (if I could ever get it), Sherry.

But plenty of discoveries for me in regions that overall I might find of less interest (e.g., Faugères in Languedoc).

Surprisingly, Burgundy doesn't make the list. Which is probably due to fewer opportunities to taste it and less willingness to shell out money where the entry price for bottles is higher.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:17 am

German Riesling tops my list, closely followed by the western Loire Valley. Portugal seems to gain more attention this past two years. :)
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:51 am

Well…I didn’t pick up my family, leave a good job, relatives, and friends behind to learn how to make wine in Germany because I’m passionate about wine from somewhere else. German wines have almost completely pushed aside every other wine in the world for me, except that I love Austria, Alsace, Burgundy, the Loire, Alto-Adige, Champagne, Hungary, and N. Rhone Syrah. The rest: meh, I could take it or leave it.

Cheers,
Bill
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:22 pm

Bordeaux and Tuscany. Can't pick one above the other. Although Bordeaux is a much larger portion of my cellar.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:04 pm

It depends a lot on the style and winemaking choices of individual wineries. But, I definitely seem to focus on Napa Valley Cabernet (and Sonoma to a certain extent) made by producers emphasizing leaner, earthier, even "greener" wines. Clos Du Val, Corison, Al3exander Valley Vineyards.

I also love Loire Valley Cabernet Franc. Chinon, Saumur Champigny.

I have been discovering more Pinot Noir that I can drink (I HATE HATE HATE the super fruity cherry cough syrup style)-mostly from Oregon and Russan River Valley.

And, of course, the amazing, bizarre wines of Arbois (and Savoie!)
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:08 pm

Bill Hooper wrote:Well…I didn’t pick up my family, leave a good job, relatives, and friends behind to learn how to make wine in Germany because I’m passionate about wine from somewhere else. German wines have almost completely pushed aside every other wine in the world for me, except that I love Austria, Alsace, Burgundy, the Loire, Alto-Adige, Champagne, Hungary, and N. Rhone Syrah. The rest: meh, I could take it or leave it.

Cheers,
Bill

Oh no. I forgot about Northern Rhone Syrah (and American producers who seem to express similar characteristics in their wines)
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:17 pm

It all depends on the wine. For Cabernet it is Napa, Chardonnay is Napa also, Riesling is Rheingau, Champagne is Mesnil, Pinot Noir is Sonoma Coast, Zinfandel (although I have very few) is Sonoma. For Bordeaux blends it is Bordeaux, duh, if I can be patient and wait for maturity. Syrah would be N. Rhone.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:19 pm

Burgundy for me, hands down.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:42 pm

yeah, burgundy.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:23 pm

Another Burgundy fan here, at least currently. I remain open to other areas and other wines but it's been Burgundy for a while now.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:01 pm

Piemonte
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:07 pm

Keep going back and forth between Germany, and the Northern Rhone.

Quite often when I drink a bottle from Hans-Gunter Schwarz, or an aged Prum, Schaefer, Egon Muller or Donnhoff, I sometimes wonder why only a third of my cellar is German wine.

Then at other times if I'm drinking Gonon, Levet, Texier, Allemand or something from the old, retired masters like Trollat or Verset, I keep thinking I don't own or drink enough N. Rhone Syrah.
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:14 pm

Germany is definitely first for me, no question.

My other favorite "region" is anywhere/anything from Italy. Piedmont is at the top of my list of favorite Italian regions, but I enjoy exploring all Italian wines.
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:03 am

Loire.

With Burgundy, Beaujolais, some smaller French regions (Savioe, Marcillac...) and Galicia not too far behind, along with Piedmont, which I'll be visiting for the first time in a few weeks!
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:28 am

That's an impossible question to answer. And so is "which is my favourite composer?"

I wouldn't want to be without red Bordeaux, Burgundy red and white, all the Loire valley in both red and white, all the Rhône valley (including in Switzerland), Bandol, Riesling from Germany, Alsace and Austria, Langhe reds, Tuscany reds (especially from Sangiovese), Bandol, Rioja (old fashioned) and so on.

Perhaps the best way to look at it is to ask what I drink the most of and, of course, QPR enters into this. Top, I think, are Cabernet franc and Chenin wines from Anjou and Touraine. Following closely are reds from Rhône and Chianti and, for whites, Chablis and Mâcon together with German Riesling, of which I would drink more if I could find enough suitable pairings for the RS of those in my cellar.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

by Ted Richards » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:46 pm

Not sure I'd say I have a main passion. Hermitage, in the northern Rhône, is my favourite [especially Chave], but I also love Burgundy, Barolo, Oporto, Châteaneuf du Pape and Bordeaux. Rioja, Alsace and Pinot Noir from Ontario (where I live) also feature a lot in my cellar. And then there's Ridge Zins (although few other Zins).

Which one I choose at any given time depends mostly on what food I will be having.
Next