The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Finally saw the movie Bottle Shock

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Finally saw the movie Bottle Shock

by Jenise » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:41 pm

LAME!!

Bad acting, bad script, bad continuity, immature/amateurish direction and bad wardrobe. And I don't even know the name of the department that should get fired for the really bad wig worn by Bo Barrett's character. Bob and I were laughing out loud at things that weren't supposed to be funny and groaning through all the parts that were!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Pollard

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:53 pm

San Diego

Re: Finally saw the movie Bottle Shock

by Mike Pollard » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:47 pm

Have to agree. It was pure fiction and not a patch on Sideways.

Mike
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:34 pm

Funny. I hated Sideways, but at least get a few smiles from Bottle Shock.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

by Jeff B » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:57 pm

I can't say that I've seen either one. My favorite "wine movie" is A Good Year. A great "date movie" and the scenery was gorgeous. Then again, I have a soft spot for romantic comedies. :)

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:17 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Funny. I hated Sideways, but at least get a few smiles from Bottle Shock.

I liked Sideways, but understood it as an Alexander Payne character movie with beautiful Central Coast wine photography, not a wine tutorial. He did a beautiful job of skewering the wine geeks of the era, though. :lol:
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:20 pm

haven't seen Bottle Shock..+1 re what Robin said re Sideways..We had just returned from visit to the Sta Barbara,Sta Rita area when we watched the movie
Jon
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:56 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Funny. I hated Sideways, but at least get a few smiles from Bottle Shock.

David hits the nail on the head for me. Sideways is well crafted but for me completely unenjoyable, whereas Bottle Shock is at least fun, if not the best movie ever.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:19 pm

The main character in Sideways is so despicable that I did not enjoy the movie, whatever its other merits.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:31 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:The main character in Sideways is so despicable that I did not enjoy the movie, whatever its other merits.

+1

Though I did feel that Bottle Shock was a far worse movie regardless. It's sorta like debating the relative merits of cholera and bubonic plague, though.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Jon Leifer wrote:haven't seen Bottle Shock..+1 re what Robin said re Sideways..We had just returned from visit to the Sta Barbara,Sta Rita area when we watched the movie

I truly enjoyed Sideways. Seemed to be a film by and for adults. Bottle Shock, on the other hand seemed made for Dukes Of Hazard fans.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Kelly Young

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:37 pm

Washington, DC

by Kelly Young » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:16 pm

Jenise wrote:LAME!!

Bad acting, bad script, bad continuity, immature/amateurish direction and bad wardrobe. And I don't even know the name of the department that should get fired for the really bad wig worn by Bo Barrett's character.

You're too kind, it's not that good.

"Sideways" is excellent.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:29 pm

Kelly, after seeing others say relatively decent things about it, I went two look at critical views sure I'd read pan after pan after pan. Unfortunately, most of the big guns, usually not so easily sold, liked it quite a bit. The word "charming" came up frequently. I don't get it!
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:47 am

Haven't seen "Bottle Shock" but I did enjoy "Sideways." I'm proud to claim Alexander Payne as a fellow Nebraskan--didn't see "Election" but I enjoyed "About Schmidt" with Jack Nicholson and "The Descendants" with George Clooney. It seems like there is another film of his I've seen that I am forgetting the title but I don't see it listed in a quick filmography online--maybe I'm mixing up a film directed by someone else with similarities to his style.

Oops. I was thinking of "People Like Us" and the Director was Alex Kurtzman, not Alexander Payne.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:06 am

I saw both films. Since I expected very little, I enjoyed them both. I watched them on borrowed CDs. Perhaps if I'd paid for them, I'd feel differently.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:28 pm

People here in the valley involved in the wine business without exception that I'm aware of thought Bottle Shock was one rung below terrible. :(
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:53 am

JC (NC) wrote:Haven't seen "Bottle Shock" but I did enjoy "Sideways." I'm proud to claim Alexander Payne as a fellow Nebraskan--didn't see "Election" but I enjoyed "About Schmidt" with Jack Nicholson and "The Descendants" with George Clooney. It seems like there is another film of his I've seen that I am forgetting the title but I don't see it listed in a quick filmography online--maybe I'm mixing up a film directed by someone else with similarities to his style.

Oops. I was thinking of "People Like Us" and the Director was Alex Kurtzman, not Alexander Payne.

Next time he is in the restaurant (which should be soon, as they are shooting for his new film about Nebraska), I will make sure to slip him a Merlot. :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:54 pm

Lou Kessler wrote:People here in the valley involved in the wine business without exception that I'm aware of thought Bottle Shock was one rung below terrible. :(

[smug look] :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:55 pm

Joy Lindholm wrote:
JC (NC) wrote:Haven't seen "Bottle Shock" but I did enjoy "Sideways." I'm proud to claim Alexander Payne as a fellow Nebraskan--didn't see "Election" but I enjoyed "About Schmidt" with Jack Nicholson and "The Descendants" with George Clooney. It seems like there is another film of his I've seen that I am forgetting the title but I don't see it listed in a quick filmography online--maybe I'm mixing up a film directed by someone else with similarities to his style.

Next time he is in the restaurant (which should be soon, as they are shooting for his new film about Nebraska), I will make sure to slip him a Merlot. :)

Love that--no matter what he orders, slip him a merlot.

Warren ever eat at your place?
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:16 am

Jenise wrote:
Joy Lindholm wrote:

Love that--no matter what he orders, slip him a merlot.

Warren ever eat at your place?

Warren hasn't been in - he tends to stick to his favorites which are diner type places and old school steakhouses in town. We get loads of traffic though from Berkshire Hathaway folks though, especially during the shareholders meeting each year.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:19 pm

I've seen pictures of one of his supposedly favorite places. Was not impressed! He must be a very unadventurous eater.
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:55 am

Jenise wrote:I've seen pictures of one of his supposedly favorite places. Was not impressed! He must be a very unadventurous eater.

Apparently so, but also quite frugal. His house is very unpretentious too. If you didn't see, he was on the Daily Show this past Tuesday and was quite funny! You can catch the clip on their website.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:57 pm

DIdn't see that, but heard the very last part of an interview on NPR in which he said something to the effect of having made up his mind in his 20's exactly what he likes to eat and how he likes to live and has never seen any reason to change. Have a feeling he'd have no problem spending his money on more if he liked more better, he just doesn't. A most unusual man!