Potato Peeling Question

Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Potato Peeling Question

Postby Fred Sipe » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:32 pm

Which has more surface area to peel, 10 pounds of big ass potatoes or 10 pounds of smallish potatoes? I just worked my way through the small ones. :|
User avatar
Fred Sipe
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:34 pm
Location: Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

Re: Potato Peeling Question

Postby Karen/NoCA » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:49 pm

Ten pounds is ten pounds. I prefer Yukon Gold spuds all around and they are usually smaller than the russetts. One consolation, rice them after cooking ...saves mashing time, so I guess it is all relevant.
Karen/NoCA
Hunter/Gatherer
 
Posts: 5264
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:55 pm

Re: Potato Peeling Question

Postby Mike Filigenzi » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:18 pm

Big-ass potatoes will be more volume to surface area, so you'll have less peeling.

If they're for mashed potatoes, though, I like Karen's ricing option. It makes for excellent potatoes and no peeling is necessary.

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a very narrow field" - Niels Bohr
User avatar
Mike Filigenzi
Known for his fashionable hair
 
Posts: 6935
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:43 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Potato Peeling Question

Postby Shlomo R » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:30 am

ten pounds of smalish potatoes will have more surface area to peel, and will also ultimately result in a very slightly smaller quantity of mashed potatoes because more mass will be lost in the peelings.
http://www.chailifeline.org/events/Bike ... rosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again in 2014!
Shlomo R
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 474
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:49 am

Re: Potato Peeling Question

Postby Carrie L. » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:53 am

I love the small Yukon Golds for mashed potatoes too and also use the ricer for mashing. Len isn't a fan though. He had the job of peeling with what he called an "inferior peeler" the kind that is "Y" shaped, and not the standard type of peeler, and I heard lots of explatives throughout the process. He begged me to buy a standard peeler before he is charged with peeling again.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (I feel so much better now.)
User avatar
Carrie L.
Golfball Gourmet
 
Posts: 2525
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:12 am
Location: Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

Re: Potato Peeling Question

Postby Redwinger » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:41 am

Carrie L. wrote: He begged me to buy a standard peeler before he is charged with peeling again.


Jeez Carrie, don't you give Len an allowance so he can buy his own kitchen gadgets? :twisted:
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
Redwinger
Wine guru
 
Posts: 3904
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: Potato Peeling Question

Postby Jenise » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:11 pm

Brings to mind the time I asked my husband to peel half the potatoes, pointing to a five or ten pound bag while I went off on an errand. When I got home he had peeled ALL the potatoes, but each only half way. It was so cute I practically cried.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher
 
Posts: 26237
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm
Location: The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Potato Peeling Question

Postby Fred Sipe » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:57 pm

Jenise wrote:Brings to mind the time I asked my husband to peel half the potatoes, pointing to a five or ten pound bag while I went off on an errand. When I got home he had peeled ALL the potatoes, but each only half way. It was so cute I practically cried.


God bless that man!!! :lol: Love it.
User avatar
Fred Sipe
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:34 pm
Location: Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

Re: Potato Peeling Question

Postby Carrie L. » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:01 am

Redwinger wrote:
Carrie L. wrote: He begged me to buy a standard peeler before he is charged with peeling again.


Jeez Carrie, don't you give Len an allowance so he can buy his own kitchen gadgets? :twisted:


I promise you that kitchen gadgets would be the last thing he would think of purchasing on his own. He considers the kitchen "my domaine" and I'm actually okay with that. ;)
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (I feel so much better now.)
User avatar
Carrie L.
Golfball Gourmet
 
Posts: 2525
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:12 am
Location: Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

Re: Potato Peeling Question

Postby Carrie L. » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:02 am

Jenise wrote:Brings to mind the time I asked my husband to peel half the potatoes, pointing to a five or ten pound bag while I went off on an errand. When I got home he had peeled ALL the potatoes, but each only half way. It was so cute I practically cried.


Jenise that is an absolute riot. I'm sure he figured you had a darned good reason for needing peels on half of all the potatoes. Adorable.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (I feel so much better now.)
User avatar
Carrie L.
Golfball Gourmet
 
Posts: 2525
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:12 am
Location: Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

Re: Potato Peeling Question

Postby Frank Deis » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:29 am

One of my best kitchen purchases ever was a Kyocera ceramic peeler.

Image

The blade is super sharp forever, and peeling things is almost fun.

There are other brands probably as good...
Frank Deis
Wine guru
 
Posts: 2059
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:20 pm
Location: NJ

Re: Potato Peeling Question

Postby Jenise » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:20 pm

Carrie L. wrote:Jenise that is an absolute riot. I'm sure he figured you had a darned good reason for needing peels on half of all the potatoes. Adorable.


Even he couldn't imagine why I'd want them peeled only halfway, but he's so trusting of my judgement that if that's what I wanted (or what he thought I said) then there must be a good reason, and I would have it.


Frank, never used a Kyocera! I'm intrigued, even though my Zyliss is my favorite peeler ever. Different shape, though, the blade is vertical to the handle not horizontal, which I prefer. Or think I do. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher
 
Posts: 26237
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm
Location: The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Potato Peeling Question

Postby Carrie L. » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:28 pm

This is the kind I've been using since the 80s when I worked for a caterer. These are what she used and I thought they were the easiest peelers ever. Len does not agree! Jenise, I wonder if you'd like them if you tried them. The brand is Kuhn Rikon.
Attachments
swiss peelers.jpg
swiss peelers.jpg (9.74 KiB) Viewed 2057 times
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (I feel so much better now.)
User avatar
Carrie L.
Golfball Gourmet
 
Posts: 2525
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:12 am
Location: Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

Re: Potato Peeling Question

Postby Carl Eppig » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:44 pm

We have never been able to use the kind picured above, particulaly on potatoes. We use a traditional peeler from Good Grips.
Carl Eppig
Our Maine man
 
Posts: 3993
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:38 pm
Location: Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Potato Peeling Question

Postby Mike Filigenzi » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:51 pm

Carrie L. wrote:This is the kind I've been using since the 80s when I worked for a caterer. These are what she used and I thought they were the easiest peelers ever. Len does not agree! Jenise, I wonder if you'd like them if you tried them. The brand is Kuhn Rikon.



I have an all-metal version of those which is my preferred peeler.

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a very narrow field" - Niels Bohr
User avatar
Mike Filigenzi
Known for his fashionable hair
 
Posts: 6935
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:43 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Potato Peeling Question

Postby Jenise » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:22 pm

Carrie L. wrote:This is the kind I've been using since the 80s when I worked for a caterer. These are what she used and I thought they were the easiest peelers ever. Len does not agree! Jenise, I wonder if you'd like them if you tried them. The brand is Kuhn Rikon.


Once upon a time I had a cheap little metal peeler that was a horizontal blade like what you show, but instead of a handle you grab it had a rigid loop shaped bottom you would put all four fingers into. The overall method is similar to yours, you pull down to peel. But then it could also be true that i never found a really good vertical peeler until i bought my zyliss. not sure, just know that I've owned a number of different peelers, and pretty much kept buying until i found one i liked better than the rest. And these days I'm just more efficient pushing a blade away to remove peel than to pull down toward me as this style requires.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher
 
Posts: 26237
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm
Location: The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Potato Peeling Question

Postby Mike Filigenzi » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:50 pm

Jenise wrote:Once upon a time I had a cheap little metal peeler that was a horizontal blade like what you show, but instead of a handle you grab it had a rigid loop shaped bottom you would put all four fingers into.



That's the one I have. We also have a Good Grips vertical one as well as a couple of cheapie verticals. I find that I like the way the horizontal one works. I also like the fact that it has the little pointy thing on one side that you can use to scoop out the potato eyes or any blemished bits. Some of the vertical ones are sharp enough on the ends to do that but some (including the particular Good Grips one we have) aren't.

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a very narrow field" - Niels Bohr
User avatar
Mike Filigenzi
Known for his fashionable hair
 
Posts: 6935
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:43 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Potato Peeling Question

Postby Jenise » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:05 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:
Jenise wrote:Once upon a time I had a cheap little metal peeler that was a horizontal blade like what you show, but instead of a handle you grab it had a rigid loop shaped bottom you would put all four fingers into.



That's the one I have. We also have a Good Grips vertical one as well as a couple of cheapie verticals. I find that I like the way the horizontal one works. I also like the fact that it has the little pointy thing on one side that you can use to scoop out the potato eyes or any blemished bits. Some of the vertical ones are sharp enough on the ends to do that but some (including the particular Good Grips one we have) aren't.


Yup, were talking about the same tool. Loved that little side thing, great for removing the eyes or any other unwanted parts on potatoes without reaching for a knife. Those things last forever--the one i had was probably 30 years old when it died, it had been part of my childhood household. My Zyliss has a very useful blade at the top for the same purpose. The Zyliss replaced a Good Grips one, btw, which wars a POS. the blade twirled 360 if you pressed/pulled very hard.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher
 
Posts: 26237
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm
Location: The Pacific Northest Westest


Return to The Forum Kitchen

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests