The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two More w/ DinDin..(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Two More w/ DinDin..(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:16 pm

Tried these two last night:
1. picket fence Chard RRV (13.8%; www.PicketFenceVineyards.com) Hopland 2009: Med.yellow color; attractive ripe/melony/lemony/Chard/mango/spicy light pencilly/oak clean/bright/pure Chard nose; soft light pencilly/oak attractive ripe/melony/lemony/mango/Chard/spicy clean/bright bit simple but pure Chard flavor; med.long bright/lemony/melony/Chard/mango light pencilly/oak finish; a pure/clean/varietally-correct/four-square Chard w/ plenty of flavor & aromatics at a great price. $10.00 (AV)
2. JCCllrs Misc.Stuff Calif RW (Grenache/Syrah/Mourvedre/PetiteSirah; 15.5%) 2010: Very dark/black color; strong toasty/oak/smokey bit pungent/graphite rather blackberry/boysenberry/Syrah slight earthy nose; soft rather hot/alcoholic very strong blackberry/boysenberry/Syrah rather toasty/chared/smokey/oak sorta unfocused flavor w/ some hard/gritty tannins; long fairly hot/alcoholic/fumey very strong blackberry/boysenberry/Syrah/chocolaty strong toasty/charred/oak finish w/ rather hard/unyielding/gritty tannins; seems rather unfocused and just a bunch of miscellaneous stuff of leftover wines just thrown together w/ no rhyme nor reason; not a bad wine and very expressive of JeffCohn winemaking but seems sorta purposeless; pretty ppricey at $45.00
1. picket fence: Not a wnry I'd ever seen nor heard of before. Winemaker is AllisonCrowe, another total unknown. My eyes glided over this btl on the shelf at ArroyoVino until I saw the price...$10!!! Is Brian trying to out-TraderJoe's us w/ this wine? So I bought a btl w/ very low expectations. I was mightly impressed by this Chard. Better than any of the TJ's <$20 Chards I've ever tried. Certainly not a profound rendition of Chard but just mighty tasty and way overdelivers for $10.00
Tom
no avatar
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Just got here

Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:09 pm

Re: WTN: Two More w/ DinDin..(short/boring)

by Craig Winchell » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:24 pm

I was impressed with Terrenal 2012 Chard from Trader Joe's for $3.99/bottle. It's their answer to 2-buck Chuck for kosher-keepers. I have not been impressed with any of the reds I've had, but the Chard had great balance, some fruit, and otherwise was a very solid effort, at way under $10/bottle. It was brought to my attention on the Rogov forum, as well as the 2012 Malbec (that's right, 2012). I wasn't at all impressed with the Malbec, but the Chard is one I'd buy cases of.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Uhhhh???

by TomHill » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:33 pm

Craig Winchell wrote:I was impressed with Terrenal 2012 Chard from Trader Joe's for $3.99/bottle. It's their answer to 2-buck Chuck for kosher-keepers. I have not been impressed with any of the reds I've had, but the Chard had great balance, some fruit, and otherwise was a very solid effort, at way under $10/bottle. It was brought to my attention on the Rogov forum, as well as the 2012 Malbec (that's right, 2012). I wasn't at all impressed with the Malbec, but the Chard is one I'd buy cases of.

Craig,
Is the Terrenal a SouthAmerican Chard, if it's a '12???? I've not seen that one yet at out TJ's.
Tom
no avatar
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Just got here

Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:09 pm

Re: WTN: Two More w/ DinDin..(short/boring)

by Craig Winchell » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:31 pm

Yup, Chilean.