Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Coffee Corner: What do you like in your coffee?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

Coffee Corner: What do you like in your coffee?

by Jeff B » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:27 pm

I'm one who likes the flavor/aroma of coffee yet I can't drink it all-black. Whether iced or warm I always garnish it with some form of cream and sugar (usually cream and cocoa thus making a mocha).

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Coffee Corner: What do you like in your coffee?

by Robin Garr » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:40 pm

Nothing but black for American coffee. I'm happy with a soylatte from the local coffee shop in the morning, though.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:57 pm

I learned how to drink black coffee during a dieting phase decades ago. Now it's really rare for me to use cream or sugar.

I'll mainly do that when it's rotten coffee in a meeting at work, or after a meal at a restaurant.

Totally can not abide flavoring in my coffee. Hazelnut?? More like Chemical Factory. :?
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

by Jeff B » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:11 pm

Frank Deis wrote:I learned how to drink black coffee during a dieting phase decades ago. Now it's really rare for me to use cream or sugar.

I'll mainly do that when it's rotten coffee in a meeting at work, or after a meal at a restaurant.

Totally can not abide flavoring in my coffee. Hazelnut?? More like Chemical Factory. :?

I'm with you Frank. At least in regards to hazlenut. It's just an awful flavor. I do love chocolate with coffee though. Sometimes literally (eating dark chocolate with a coffee).

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

by Jeff B » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:26 pm

I think the reason I can't drink all black coffee is that it tastes harsh and watery to me. Plus, I think of coffee as more of a "luxury companion". Thus, I like to give it some body. I only have it maybe twice a day and so I don't really "drink" coffee as much as viewing it as a "treat", if you will.

Jeff
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:13 am

Currently, a couple of splashes of 2% milk. It seems to add just enough sweetness and enhance the coffee flavor. I can, howver, drink good coffee straight.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:45 am

I make sure I only by great quality coffee so there's never any need to mix things into it. :D
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:37 am

Learned to drink it with cream and sugar back when I started working, and the terrible quality of the coffee required it. I drink much better coffee now, but the habit has stuck EXCEPT with dessert where I will normally drink black coffee.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:11 pm

Black only. I can't stand any added sugar, cream or flavoring. That applies equally to Jamaican Blue Mountain and discount rot-gut.

I started attempting to drink coffee when I was very young in order to emulate my grandfather. He took his coffee black so I took mine black even though I nearly gagged with each micro-sip.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:53 pm

Chocolate milk, real chocolate milk, not the lo fat abberations.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:56 pm

Half & half or cream only. thanks. In college, I used to use sugar in my coffee until I pulled an all-nighter doing a paper and got the shakes after 7 or 8 cups of sugared coffee; I quit the coffee cold turkey. Edit: I quit the sugar, not the coffee. I love coffee!
Last edited by Jon Peterson on Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:46 pm

It varies during the day, between a morning cappuccino, through to afternoon/evening macchiato (I'll sometimes go for something between the two - the coffee shops guys at work refer to it as a short). No sugar, no flavourings and I even prefer the cappuccino without chocolate.
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:16 pm

On all except the most bone chilling days (and yes, in the Sacramento Valley we get these socked in tule fog December days that are miserable) I like my coffee with ice, lots of cold milk, and good chocolate...the kind of chocolate which does not always even dissolve that way in an iced coffee frou frou beverage.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:32 pm

Cream. Or chocolate/cocoa as a mochachino in a cafe.

Experimented the other day and made a Greek coffee. Lots of coffee, three teaspoons of sugar, boiled in a saucepan for a while. Made two short blacks. Yum! Might cut the sugar back to two next time.

Never drink coffee straight after a meal. Does not seem right to destroy the taste of a nice desert with coffee.
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:45 pm

Black only. Good coffee only. Will put nutmeg and a bit of brown sugar in a good cappuccino, but I probably don't have more than two of those a month .
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:54 pm

If it's regular American coffee, then I usually have a splash of half-and-half in it, although I don't mind it black. Cream is too goopy, lower fat milk just doesn't give it the same smooth richness. Same goes for iced coffee in the summer time.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:16 am

Black only. For good coffee.

In the mood, I'll add a dash of cinnamon or cardamom (North African influence) to the pot but not using best grade beans. Also been known to add a small splash of heavy cream to a double espresso, but for some reason not big on dusting with anything on top - leave those Starbucks shakers alone.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:50 pm

Bill, what do you mean about the grade of coffee? Do you mean you sometimes prefer lower grades?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:52 pm

Jenise wrote:Bill, what do you mean about the grade of coffee? Do you mean you sometimes prefer lower grades?

No, I prefer always good beans, but lots of lesser breeds keep appearing around here as the quarter master corps seems unconvinced about quality justifying price.

So when I run out of good beans and have to use supermarket cheapies or even, on occasion break into the Italian espresso beans, I am then more likely to 'adulterate' with a whiff of cardamom or a soupcon of cinnamon.

I am picky about my coffee. I like one, and one only Starbucks blend and when I went to buy some this morning they told me I'd get $5 off if I bought their Christmas blend instead. I told them to keep their money and just give me the coffee I wanted (they were decent enough to not charge me for the hot coffee I also bought).

Coffee that I am willing to add anything but the odd splash of cream to has to parallel in quality the sort of sparkling wine I would consider adding soda or orange juice to - very basic so no waste.

And I cannot abide flavoured coffees like hazelnut either.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:03 am

Okay, I get you now. We're on the same page.
no avatar
User

Daisy D

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:43 pm

PVB, FL

by Daisy D » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:53 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Learned to drink it with cream and sugar back when I started working, and the terrible quality of the coffee required it. I drink much better coffee now, but the habit has stuck EXCEPT with dessert where I will normally drink black coffee.

I was like you David in that the way I 'learned' to drink coffee was with cream & sugar. These days - even though I buy better coffee especially since I am the one that stocks the supply for the 'office' - I still put a little cream in it. If I enhance it with any flavor it tends to be of a chocolate variety. My brother brought me drinking chocolate from Germany that I will mix in from time to time.

After dinner at a restaurant, black only.
...Eating is the only form of professionalism most people ever attain. - Don Delillo