The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Havens Bourriquot

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 2004 Havens Bourriquot

by Jenise » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:05 pm

The first Bourriquot I ever had was shared by some rock star at the wedding of a mutual friend. It was young and earthy and wonderful and maybe a little extra dazzling because of the guy sharing it.

This was my own bottle and the first Bourriquot I've ever had with any time on it. At eight years old, we were hoping to find it pleasantly middle-aged, with both grapes evident as well as some secondary nuances. It was decanted only about fifteen minutes before service. And it first it seemed kind of simple, mostly merlot on the nose with a bit of vanilla and red rose notes on the palate. When it changed it shifted entirely in the direction of the cab franc becoming kind of prickly--almost more weed than herb--with a bitter finish following raspberry and chokecherry fruit. Drinkable throughout but disappointing and not an experience I'd look forward to repeating. Glad I don't have another bottle.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: WTN: 2004 Havens Bourriquot

by Bill Spohn » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:43 pm

Surprised at that. I have the 96 still in good form.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:05 pm

Might be the vintage or a change in philosophy or possibly it was just in a dormant stage. No idea, but this certainly wasn't one you'd hold that long.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:07 pm

Better try my 96 soon, I think.

I went down to look for it and found a single bottle of 1995 Havens Syrah, which definitely should have been drunk a few years ago. Put it on the counter as tonight's bottle, so we shall see.....
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:56 am

Thanks to Dale Williams, I had the opportunity to try the 2006 version this past June and enjoyed it: http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=44204&p=361651.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:16 am

Sounds like your own wine was pretty great, Howie, congrats.

Bill, how'd the syrah turn out? A friend gave me bottles she'd been given when she worked in Napa and the Havens owner was a client, but they were all seriously brett-affected from warm passive storage, so I really don't have an idea what a Havens syrah tastes like. I do remember his merlot fondly, though, having gotten my hands on some separately back in the 90's.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:02 pm

SWMBO wanted to have a Burrowing Owl 2003 Pinot, so of course that's what we did!

I looked up the syrah and it showed well in 2010, so maybe it is lunch material......
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:21 pm

I still have most of a case of the Bourriquot 2003 which still needs time, just out of balance, or going thru some closed stage.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:36 pm

I've got several bottles of the '01 Bourriquot left, not too worried. I've opened mags of '94 and '96 in last couple of years without issues.
I do think the winery had a mild brett issue, but cool stored bottles never showed too horsey for me.