Pin Wheels

Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Pin Wheels

Postby Howie Hart » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:18 pm

My Mom used to make these. After making a pie, she would roll out any leftover pie crust, sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon, roll it up, cut into 1/2 inch thick pin wheels, lay them on their side on a cookie sheet and bake them. I've been doing it the past few times I've made pies. Tasty treat. Anyone else do anything similar?
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
Howie Hart
The Hart of Buffalo

Re: Pin Wheels

Postby Redwinger » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:51 pm

Yup, NJ does that all the time.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
Redwinger
Wine guru

Postby Lou Kessler » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:42 pm

Thanks Howie, I had forgot that my mother did the same thing after baking a pie or pies. Remember now , what a treat! :D
Lou Kessler
Doesn't buy green bananas

Postby Karen/NoCA » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:51 pm

Mom did that all the time....I was not fond of pies but I readily ate the cinnamon sugar treats! :D
Karen/NoCA
Hunter/Gatherer

Postby JuliaB » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:43 pm

Haven't thought of that in years, Howie. My Mom did exactly the same thing. I don't think she basted them with butter, so they always looked and smelled better than they actually tasted..a tad on the dry side, but I never refused them!

JB
JuliaB
Woman of Mystery

Postby Christina Georgina » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:39 pm

Tootsie Rolls!!!! That's what my mother called them and I do as well. My son always asks for them when I make pie. We spread the rolled dough with butter, sugar and cinnamon then roll it into a a log, make 1/2 " thick slices and bake. Nothing better if the crust is short and rich!
Mamma Mia !
Christina Georgina
Wine guru

Postby Matilda L » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:09 pm

My mother made these too.
Is that what a tootsie roll is?
Matilda L
Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Postby Christina Georgina » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:50 am

No Matilda. Just what my family calls those delectable things made from left over pie crust. They bear absolutely NO resemblance to the candy, Tootsie Roll.
Mamma Mia !
Christina Georgina
Wine guru

Postby Mike Filigenzi » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:58 am

My mom used to just roll out the dough in strips and add sugar and cinnamon. They were a real treat.

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a very narrow field" - Niels Bohr
Mike Filigenzi
Known for his fashionable hair

Me too

Postby Rahsaan » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:19 am

My mother did the same thing, although not in shapes, just a cinammon sugar treat from leftover pie dough. When I got older I asked why she had stopped doing it at a certain point and she said that she mastered her recipes and no longer had extra dough!
Rahsaan
Wild and Crazy Guy

Re: Me too

Postby Mike Filigenzi » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:25 am

Rahsaan wrote:My mother did the same thing, although not in shapes, just a cinammon sugar treat from leftover pie dough. When I got older I asked why she had stopped doing it at a certain point and she said that she mastered her recipes and no longer had extra dough!

Sometimes, efficiency is a bad thing!

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a very narrow field" - Niels Bohr
Mike Filigenzi
Known for his fashionable hair

Postby Jenise » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:30 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:Tootsie Rolls!!!! That's what my mother called them and I do as well. My son always asks for them when I make pie. We spread the rolled dough with butter, sugar and cinnamon then roll it into a a log, make 1/2 " thick slices and bake. Nothing better if the crust is short and rich!

I do the same!

I received some free apple pie spice in one of my Penzey's shipments and have used that in place of cinnamon the last few times--it's mostly cinnamon anyway. I've also been known to put some finely chopped pecans in there--baby pecan wheels!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Return to The Forum Kitchen