Kinor David Tasting

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Kinor David Tasting

Postby Elchonon Hellinger » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:24 pm

I have no words to describe this... fragments of "wow" and "amazing" might do.

GG will fill you in, as we snuck tastes of port right and left, shameless folks

*After due course of a nights sleep and sobering, with my coffee in hand I add this... I wont do it justice so I suggest GG make his own thread*

We started off the night at Gush etzion winery, the fact that for 5 years I passed the junction and never there was such an amazing restaurant so close was my loss but im glad I found it, as you all know I love their cab franc '09.. I wont discuss gush as gab will.

We drove to kiryat arba, we made our way to Kinor David got there at about 9pm, first we got the winery tour, then we entered the cellar.

David Edri is the perfect host, he dots on you and he never fails to amaze and shock. The cellar is pretty packed these days and I have tasted a lot on these after many pleadings and cajoling.

The first taste was the 8 year port, this was the 5 year port bottle previously but now 8 years. Strong and flavored aromas that excites your senses, its hard to describe the taste, its sweet but doesbnt have they honey or chocolate liquor like taste of the other ports.. it has tastes of tobacco and chocolate but they arent so strong as to drown out the ports many flavors and layers

10 year port - this has an amazing smell, like a combination of spices from vasco di gama's storehouse, cloves and cinnamon and stuff I cant even name but sets your mind in a dream. Strong and tasty it doesnt have the strong chocolate and tobacco of the 8 year, more of a spice wonder with fruits galore?

Sherry Andolouisie - As my hearing isnt there yet, I missed this story.. but something about aged 2 years in oak barrels in the sun, cabarnet saviugnon and sherry? It took us 2-3 minutes just to overcome the smell of the garden of eden, its tantalizing and devouring, you lose yourself in the glass, the first sip sets your mind soaring upwards, and when the glass is empty you mourn at having finished off such greatness...

My descriptions do not sound objective, I sound like a Kinor David shill... heaven in my whiteness that since i was there 1 year ago I have begged every one to go... Gab will weigh in and uhh you judge for yourself... or go to the winery or buy a bottle from gab

Next up I begged for a barrel tasting of his young cab franc which is tasting very well, it will sit in barrels for 20 months, will restate on my return in feburary. We tasted the straight cab sav, we also tasted a blend of cab sav, syrah, petite vardot and i think franc?

On prior tastings I had his pinot noir from barrel, sryah + cab franc? pinot noir + cab sav and others..

We spent about 3 hours there, he showed us a 100 year old port? i dunno honestly, this guy has a new surprise every time i go.. and he has a brandy they made thats right now aging..(I wonder about the brandy as well as he has kosher flavored barrels to use)

If you go, bring cash to buy.. you will buy becvause the stuff is that good, and buy at least 1 bottle as a courtesy to a man that will give you the time of his day or night to share the stuff he makes...
Last edited by Elchonon Hellinger on Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elchonon Hellinger
Ultra geek

Re: Kinor David Tasting

Postby Shawn Johnson » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:04 pm

Wow! Never saw someone pump up a wine so much.
Shawn Johnson
Ultra geek

Postby Elchonon Hellinger » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:24 pm

Shawn Johnson wrote:Wow! Never saw someone pump up a wine so much.

I wont do it justice, i'll leave it to gab.. But I asked edri if he merits nightly visits from elijah the prophet or if the angels come by..
Elchonon Hellinger
Ultra geek

Postby Elchonon Hellinger » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:31 pm

i'll gladly take any one tasting.. stacey will be dragged there.. there is no way to describe david edri.. or the stuff he makes... its mind blowing experience... he dips in to barrels with a twinkle in his eye and a mischievous grin which grows to a full huge smile as your face registered shock and sheer wonder...

I am hoping GG will hold off on the cab sav and blended tasting till i finally drag myself to his store..i'll tell you this, sherry andalousie is the name of my new girl friend :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Elchonon Hellinger
Ultra geek

Postby Josh Patt » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:47 am

Could you tell us something about the wine instead of a list of superlatives.
And try to be objective.
Josh Patt
Ultra geek

Postby Elie Poltorak » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:24 am

Elchanan:
Would you mind posting more about your tasting after your visit to Kinor Dovid after you've sobered up? :lol:
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Elchonon Hellinger » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:53 am

Josh Patt wrote:Could you tell us something about the wine instead of a list of superlatives.
And try to be objective.

done... and thats objective...
Elchonon Hellinger
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Kovnat » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:04 am

Josh Patt wrote:Could you tell us something about the wine instead of a list of superlatives.
And try to be objective.

Hi Elchonon,

I loved reading as you waxed eloquent. Much preferred, IMHO, to a "dry" TN about this fruit or that spice, tannins and finishes on the nose and in the mouth. It's really all about the "wow's" that wine does to me when I experience it. And your descriptions of the vintner are also great to read.

Write on, Elchonon, and damned be he that first cries, "Hold, enough," to misquote another pretty good writer.
Come on over to read about my experience tasting wines produced in Israel at http://www.israelwinetaster.com
Daniel Kovnat
Ultra geek

Postby Josh Patt » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:54 pm

Elchonon Hellinger wrote:
And try to be objective.

Much more informative.
I'm not sure about the objective bit, but wine tating is subjective by nature :)
I'll try to get a chance to taste the wines myself and will give my own humble opinion.
Josh Patt
Ultra geek

Postby Elchonon Hellinger » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:22 pm

Daniel Kovnat wrote:
And try to be objective.

Hi Elchonon,

I loved reading as you waxed eloquent. Much preferred, IMHO, to a "dry" TN about this fruit or that spice, tannins and finishes on the nose and in the mouth. It's really all about the "wow's" that wine does to me when I experience it. And your descriptions of the vintner are also great to read.

Write on, Elchonon, and damned be he that first cries, "Hold, enough," to misquote another pretty good writer.

Thanks Daniel, I used to blog and write poetry... as Gab must be sick of hearing, to me the wine is a culmination of love... the land, the grapes, the work etc.. I taste all this and i taster with my nose, tongue and heart..I never spit the wine which generally has my drunk often lol.

Sherry andoulise, no words can do her justice, you MUST taste it..

Edri is VERY gracious... and as long as you arent leeching from him, he is very glad to give you wine tasting and his time.. I usually buy about 600-800 shekel worth at a time..

BTW gab has the port at his shop, but me thinks every bottle will be sold by monday if it wasent already ;)
Elchonon Hellinger
Ultra geek

Postby Elchonon Hellinger » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:28 pm

Josh Patt wrote:
Elchonon Hellinger wrote:
And try to be objective.

Much more informative.
I'm not sure about the objective bit, but wine tating is subjective by nature :)
I'll try to get a chance to taste the wines myself and will give my own humble opinion.

An amazing wine would have you all running, a wine better than tzora, castel, yatir etc combined.. KD is just not worldly... and till gab got bottles you had to make the visit to k4 to buy and taste

I cant do the sherry justice... gab will post his tn's
Elchonon Hellinger
Ultra geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum