The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2008 Cristom Syrah

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: 2008 Cristom Syrah

by Brian K Miller » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:36 am

Eola-Amity Hills.

Awesome blast of black berry overlaying fine grained blacberry and plum fruit with lovely acidity. Ver Northern Rhone in style. My last bottle :(

Also: 2006 Bartholemew Park Sonoma Valley Syrah. Some oak still present, but this is a meaty, dark savory version of Syrah. I enjoy this hidden winery's offerings, and was quite pleased. Not as blown away as by the Cristom, but still am happy I have three more bottles!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2008 Cristom Syrah

by Jenise » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:18 pm

I don't recall which vintage of Cristom syrah I fell in love with, but it would have been earlier than yours, and was from their own estate vineyard, then (and possibly still) the only Syrah vineyard in its appellation. I'm guessing that's not EolaAmity, but I could be wrong. Anyway, gorgeous stuff, a real revelation to me w at the time really didn't care for domestic Syrah at all. Very Northern Rhoney, with loads of pepper on raspberry fruit and Cristom's typical austerity.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: 2008 Cristom Syrah

by Brian K Miller » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:01 pm

Jenise wrote: Very Northern Rhoney, with loads of pepper on raspberry fruit and Cristom's typical austerity.

Oops. In rereading my note, I said "big blast of black berry". I meant...black PEPPER of course! :oops:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach