The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: NY(ish) and French Wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: NY(ish) and French Wines

by Dale Williams » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:08 pm

Saturday night I attended a benefit gala at a local church. Silent auction, dinner, and concert. Betsy was one of the musicians, so I put together a table of friends. After passed appetizers (and local cider and beer) in the silent auction room, we moved to the dining room. This year’s theme was NY/Local, and Alex and his cooking team did a bangup job- roasted squash soup with cider creme fraiche and pumpkin seeds, Hudson Valley duck confit with potato dauphinois and braised vegetables.

The house wines were
2006 Pellegrini Cabernet Franc
Raspberry fruit, a hint of vanilla, a bit of greenness, not too bad. B/B-

2011 Pumphouse Red
Soft and characterless, please pump it elsewhere.C

My table also had some bonus wines, though many strayed from theme:

2011 Hart Wine Cellars Gamay
This is made with Ontario grapes, so not quite NY, but fresh and lively. Sweet strawberry, light and fun, very popular, folks were surprised it was an amateur (in best sense) offering. B+/B

2009 Ravines Pinot Noir
Probably as good a Finger Lakes red as I’ve had, lighter styled but with a solid finish. B

2002 Chandon de Briailles “Aux Fourneaux” Savigny-les-Beaune 1er (Mag)
I was a little worried this might be closed, but fleshy and giving, black cherry with earth and spice. B+/A-

1979 du Tertre (Margaux)
Cork had slipped into bottle when Fred opening, so this was in another bottle, but it showed well. Red fruit and cedar, good acids, not best bottle I’ve had of this but very good. B+

1979 Domaine de Chevalier (Graves)
Minerally, stony, good fruit but really about the gravel and tobacco. I very much enjoyed A-

1989 Tayac “Prestige” (Cotes du Bourg)
Corked, too bad as seems to be plenty of fruit underneath, and I liked this a few years ago

1985 Sociando Mallet
A bit foursquare, without the elegance I associate with 1985, nor the herbal notes I associate with SM. A correct but not exciting claret. B/B-

1995 Baumard Quarts de Chaume
I bought a lot of Baumard years ago, but recently have gravitated more to Huet, Foreau, and other more “exciting” producers for my Loire sticky fixes. But I confess this is actually a beautiful wine, orange marmalade and lemon zest, honey, minerals. A-

Sunday was a Korean themed meal, with marinated pork (bought from HMart), king oyster mushrooms, and (accidental) cabbage 3 ways- kimchee, David Chang’s Brussels sprouts, and bok choy with oyster sauce. Wine was the 2009 Guion “Les Deux Monts” Bourgueil. Sturdy, coffee over dark fruits, could use some time. B

Monday I braised broccoli in tomatoes to make a pasta sauce, with pesto bread and the 2004 Brocard “Montmains” Chablis 1er. I’ve liked this wine before, but this is PremOxed. Damn.
I contemplate trying to grit my teeth and bear it, but open the always dependable 2010 Pepiere Muscadet instead. Nervy, stony, B+

Happy Thanksgiving All

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: WTN: NY(ish) and French Wines

by Howie Hart » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:38 pm

I'm pleased that you enjoyed the Gamay. I'll have to find a bottle of the Ravines PN. Happy Thanksgiving to you also, Dale.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Gary Kahle

Rank

Wine geek

Sun May 27, 2012 9:08 am

Traverse City, MI

Re: WTN: NY(ish) and French Wines

by Gary Kahle » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:10 pm

Too bad about the Tayac being corked as the 1989 is still drinking very well. I'm out of 750's now but still have one Mag and one 6L. There's an empty 18L bottle (1982 Tayac) sitting in our family room as evidence of my love of the winery and the Saturny's.
Cheers and Happy Thanksgiving,
Gary