The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Amarone, Burg, CA, and cheap Bdx

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Amarone, Burg, CA, and cheap Bdx

by Dale Williams » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:27 pm

Meatless Monday was a “use up what’s in kitchen” day, so I made a quick porcini/red wine/escarole risotto, panzanella, and green beans. Cooking wine was the 2005 Moueix “Encore” Merlot. Solid little Bordeaux, black plum fruit with just a note of green, easy tannins, quite decent for very little money.. B-

Dinner wine was the 2007 Masi “Costasera” Amarone Classico (375 ml). You know, I really like Amarone in half bottles. A glass or a bit more is plenty for me. Rich and full (duh!) with black plums and raisin fruit, moderate tannins, good acids. Nose is spicy (cardomon, aniseed) with a bit of heat. B+/B

Tuesday was roast chicken and the 2010 Brun/Terres Dorees Morgon. Farily tannic, balanced acids, red fruit accented with coffee. Good length, good with the chicken. Maybe a bit tight. Betsy enjoyed rest on day 2. B/B+ (if I had more I’d hold)

Thursday we had an assortment of mostly leftovers (Betsy’s spaghetti and meatballs from Wed, my doggie-bagged pork chop from Il Corso, plus escarole and asparagus) with the 2011 Edmunds St. Jone “Bone Jolly” Gamay rose. Fun puppydog of a wine, easy and pleasing. B+

Friday was Bittman’s one hour bouillabaisse with the 2007 Etienne Sauzet Chassagne-Montrachet. OK, so white Burgundy isn’t a traditional match for the dish, but it’s what I was feeling like opening. And really, dish doesn’t complement. But I really enjoy the Chassagne after dinner- full with hazelnut and lemon notes,just a whisper of oak, good acids. The only thing detracting for me is a faint hint of oxidation- this is surprisingly mature. Please, not the pox. But if I don’t extrapolate, B+/A-.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.