Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Tuna, anyone? No, not THAT tuna. Drinking tuna.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Tuna, anyone? No, not THAT tuna. Drinking tuna.

by Hoke » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:42 pm

Was re-introduced to a lovely drinking sensation recently---tuna. Tha's what Jaliscans call the cactus fruit, lemon-sized orange, red and purple fruit of the cactus that are harvested when ripe and pulpy, trimmed of spines, and then pulped in a blender.

Mix in a little lime juice, blend, strain into a picher, serve over ice in a tall glass with tequila.

It is absolutely delicious, and faintly reminiscent of watermelon. Makes a dman good agua fresca if you don't want the tequila. On the other hand, why wouldn't you want the tequila?

Good news is I found tuna in the local Safeway produce store, so it's available.

Better in summertime, of course, but not bad now.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Tuna, anyone? No, not THAT tuna. Drinking tuna.

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:18 pm

Sounds tasty! I'll have to keep an eye out for it.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:19 pm

Hoke wrote:Was re-introduced to a lovely drinking sensation recently---tuna. Tha's what Jaliscans call the cactus fruit, lemon-sized orange, red and purple fruit of the cactus that are harvested when ripe and pulpy, trimmed of spines, and then pulped in a blender.

Mix in a little lime juice, blend, strain into a picher, serve over ice in a tall glass with tequila.

It is absolutely delicious, and faintly reminiscent of watermelon. Makes a dman good agua fresca if you don't want the tequila. On the other hand, why wouldn't you want the tequila?

Good news is I found tuna in the local Safeway produce store, so it's available.

Love cactus fruit. Did you find it fresh, or was this canned?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:45 pm

Jenise wrote:
Hoke wrote:Was re-introduced to a lovely drinking sensation recently---tuna. Tha's what Jaliscans call the cactus fruit, lemon-sized orange, red and purple fruit of the cactus that are harvested when ripe and pulpy, trimmed of spines, and then pulped in a blender.

Love cactus fruit. Did you find it fresh, or was this canned?

Fresh, Jenise. They had yellow, purple and red at Safeway (one that caters to a local Latino neighborhood) and they were presented well...nice and ripe but not soft and pulpy, and spinal carefully trimmed.