Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Kitchen Faucet recommendations?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Kitchen Faucet recommendations?

by Jon Peterson » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:06 am

When Liz and I began talking about new counter tops, we had to think about either using our existing kitchen faucet or getting a new one. The faucet we have now requires three holes in the counter (sprayer, spout and handle). In addition, there's a fourth hole in the counter for the air gap for the dishwasher drain, which I do not think we'll need with the new counter top. Many newer kitchen faucets only need one hole for everything. Since you can't "undrill" a hole in granite/quartz, we need to decide which way to go. We are leaning toward a brand new, single hole faucet.
While doing some research, I have found that there are so many features (touch on/off, pull down sprayers, etc) that it can be confusing. I also don't want to buy a gimmick that may not be a functional as the faucet company's literature would lead one to believe.
So, if you are knowledge on this topic, can you provide any insights?
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Kitchen Faucet recommendations?

by Howie Hart » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:14 am

I can't really comment on particular models, but about 25 years ago I worked for a plumbing and heating wholesaler. As far as brands were concerned, Kohler were very proprietary, requiring you to buy their sinks as the wholes would only match up with their faucets. Moen made the best single handle models and Delta made the best 2-handle models. Both Moen and Delta have lifetime guarantees.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:40 am

Howie Hart wrote:Both Moen and Delta have lifetime guarantees.

That's important to us, Howie.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:37 pm

I have a white Price Pfister pull out faucet with the spray feature and stainless steel cord. I love it, I can spray all the gunk out of the sink and spray veggies that I place on my stainless sink protector. I love the company customer service. as well. A few years ago, I noticed my faucet was turning yellow. I have a large window at my sink and the sun shines in at certain times of the year. I called Price Pfister and told them about it and that the faucet was in front of a sunny window. They said that did not make any difference and they would replace the set immediately. Within a week we had the new unit. Also, my soap dispenser chipped a few weeks ago, and that was replaced also as it had a lifetime guarantee!

I also have a hole for dish soap dispensing, a sunk-in button for the garbage disposal, and an instant hot water dispenser. On the wall there is also a flip switch for the garbage disposal just in case the button should malfunction. In twelve years it has not malfunctioned. Our plumber said an air gap for the dishwasher drain is not necessary if it is hooked up a certain way.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:06 pm

Howie Hart wrote:I can't really comment on particular models, but about 25 years ago I worked for a plumbing and heating wholesaler. As far as brands were concerned, Kohler were very proprietary, requiring you to buy their sinks as the wholes would only match up with their faucets. Moen made the best single handle models and Delta made the best 2-handle models. Both Moen and Delta have lifetime guarantees.

Howie, I had a Delta faucet in the kitchen that had a sprayer unit with it. The hose for the sprayer was plastic/vinyl, or something and it sprung a hole. I went to buy the sprayer and it was not available at Lowe's, so I bought a Moen replacement. I am not as happy with the Moen but that is likely my fault. The faucet on the Moen is quite a bit shorter than the Delta and it is a PITA in some chores. Also, the Moen guarantee is only to the original buyer. After the fact I called Delta and told them my story and they sent me a new sprayer unit.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:23 pm

Jon,
I have 2 SS sinks in my kitchen. Both have single hole faucets. My main concern about the # of holes had to do with the schmutz/clean up factor and I didn't want anymore than a single base to clean around.
Both faucets are KWC, all stainless. Beautifully designed, very well made and have given me no issue now after 5 years. Well worth the money
The main faucet has a pull out sprayer which is not absolutely necessary since the sink is deep enough 10 " for my largest stock pot and the faucet swivels to reach the entire 31" width of the sink. I use it only to wash the SS cleaner from the walls of the sink. The other faucet in for a smaller island sink and sprayer is not necessary.

I would advise making sure that the height of the faucet clears what ever you will be washing or else it gets in your way as an annoyance.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:28 pm

Bob, my neighbor, who is not the original owner, recently had an old moen replaced, no questions asked. The new one arrived a week after he placed the phone call to Moen.

Jon, what Karen said. You couldn't possibly be unhappy with the single handle control pullout sprayer style faucet--it puts water wherever you need it,and swings completely out of the way when you need it too. I also
Also have a soap dispenser and a hot water tap. My do I love that tap, even more uses for it than I'd first imagined. I'm crazy about mine, which is a kitchen aid brand I believe. If you opt for one, be sure to scan customer reviews. They will convince you to spend up for all brass parts and a decent sized stainless reservoir. The entry-level models have none of that, and there are a lot of unhappy Owners.

Forgive typos--new iPad user here.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:43 pm

We have a Kohler faucet on an American Standard sink so I guess it is no longer a proprietary thing. We are very happy with the combo.
no avatar
User

Jim Cassidy

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:00 pm

Salt Lake City

by Jim Cassidy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:23 pm

I put one of these in about 3 years ago http://www.faucet.com/moen-7599csl-clas ... n/f1210694 I have been very happy, especially with the pull-down feature and the associated high arcing neck. Preferred by far over any other I have used. This one may not be available, but the features I like come in other models from Moen.
Jim Cassidy

Owner, Millcreek Vineyards

(The prettiest vineyard in the Salt Lake Valley)
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:33 pm

One more vote for a single-hole faucet and for Moen. You can spend a lot more for one of the Euro-brands but Moen seems very high quality. I don't know if there are any plumbers in the house but when we were choosing brands I got the definite impression that of the mainstream brands, Moen comes highly recommended by those who see what breaks and what doesn't. A lifetime warranty is nice but you'd prefer not to use it.

I'm not sure if Karen's plumber was addressing whether code requires an airgap or whether it's really necessary, which are two different things. Many jursidictions do require one and I thought California was one. Regardless, there's an easy fix. The airgap really only needs to be there for inspection purposes. If you want to save a hole, wait until the inspector leaves and swap out the airgap for a soap dispenser. It turns out to be a pretty surprisingly common thing to do.

One last unrelated recommendation: consider installing one of the so-called "composite" sinks. It might be the best choice we made in our kitchen.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:38 pm

I "inherited" a Price-Pfister with three holes: faucet, lever, soap dispenser. The faucet is actually the sprayer hose in a housing that holds it up about 1' from the surface. All work well. The only caveat is that I needed to call PP for a replacement part; nothing in any store would match (and I live in a big town with a lot of stores).
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:18 am

Ok. Liz and I are off to the Noland showroom after she's done teaching this afternoon. We've been looking at paper and online catalogs and reading and rereading all of your comments and recommendations. It seems Moen is the prime choice but we remain open to Price-Pfister and Delta, in that order. And, yes, we no longer need the above-counter air gap for the dishwasher.
Thank you, everyone.