Porto Quedo Ruby Port

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Porto Quedo Ruby Port

Postby David Raccah » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:21 pm

Hey Yehoshua - I saw your YouTube - is the port available now? The port is imported by Allied and to charge 18 or 19 bucks sounds great. Anyone else tried it yet?

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Re: Porto Quedo Ruby Port

Postby Yehoshua Werth » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:20 pm

http://youtu.be/9QsQoKymncw

Here is the link to what David is talking about. And yes that is the bottle and we have it NOW!

So nice too....

Have a great day David and the Forumites :)
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
Yehoshua Werth
Wine guru

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:23 pm

Just bought it last week - planning on trying it this weekend - stay tuned (got a nice recommendation on it from Costas)
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Isaac C » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:40 pm

Yossie, did you get it at Gotham?
Isaac C
Ultra geek

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:23 pm

Got it at Gotham (who were subsequently sold out of it on Sunday). It is really good and a great QPR at under $20.
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Elchonon Hellinger » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:26 pm

PLEASE, I beg of you, this stuff is in no measure to what great port should taste like... 18$ QPR ? no way!!!!!!!!

If you want real port, my brother is picking up d6 or so bottles of kinor david tomorrow and will give to elie in ny monday, im sure he will share (or not!)

im leaving a few bottles for dsavid raccah at gab's store..
Elchonon Hellinger
Ultra geek

Postby Elie Poltorak » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:24 pm

I'm happy to host a port party anytime :D
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Andrew B » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:51 am

Elchonon Hellinger wrote:PLEASE, I beg of you, this stuff is in no measure to what great port should taste like...

Elchonon Hellinger wrote:If you want real port, my brother is picking up d6 or so bottles of kinor david

Out of curiosity, which great ports have you had, and what makes your favorite Israeli dessert wine qualify as "real port?"
Andrew B
Wine guru

Postby Elie Poltorak » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:58 am

Andrew Breskin wrote:
Elchonon Hellinger wrote:PLEASE, I beg of you, this stuff is in no measure to what great port should taste like...

Elchonon Hellinger wrote:If you want real port, my brother is picking up d6 or so bottles of kinor david

Out of curiosity, which great ports have you had, and what makes your favorite Israeli dessert wine qualify as "real port?"

Elchanan is very patriotic about Israeli wine. :wink: Let's not get into an argument over designations of origin. Port is widely used in the colloquial sense of fortified sweet red wine, just as champagne is widely used for sparkling wine made in the method champenoise. "Real" Port or not, I agree with him that the Kinor Dovid is incomparably better than any other sweet red wine on the Kosher market (at least from what I've tasted). I can't wait to get my fix. 8)
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:44 am

Like Elie said it well, while not really a Port, the Kinor Dovid is exceptionally tasty.

But Elchonon, that doesn't mean the Porto Quevedo isn't good! I'm not a big fan of sweet red wines in general but I do love the KD. And I don't doubt that for Port-lovers, the Quevedo must be good QPR as I trust David Raccah's and Yossie's opinions.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Postby Mike BG » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:18 am

No wine, however good, which is made out of Portugal by the traditional method may be called 'Port'. Doing so is a breach of international conventions (which Israel is a signatory to - take note Zion Wineries - I spotted bottles of red wine of yours labelled 'Port' this week). Whether it is good or not is another question altogether.
Mike BG
Ultra geek

Postby Elchonon Hellinger » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:41 pm

Firstly I highly regard david raccah and yossi horowitz tastes and opinions. But we are comparing to stuff untasted, GG mentions at the kosher "port" level KD is at the top than Tura, I havent had Tura but hope to iyh next week..

Shiloh Fort i havent tasted, I had a ruby port and at 67 tasting i had the psagot port, I think netofah or tzuba ? and another... did not like because it just tasted like a strong sweet liquor as if someone took strong wine and dropped honey in it.

What should port taste like ? http://taylor.pt/en/what-is-port-wine/introduction/
Elie told me last year when I brought the bottles that its a "desert wine" and the KD is just mind boggling.. the aroma the first taste and after taste.. it just pulls you in and never lets go.. and its aged 5 years..

Real port is a complex wine, some still made by manual foot crushing and hours long dancing http://grapefriend.com/2012/09/25/grape ... vargellas/

According to here it should take a minimum of 2 years barreling http://www.northernbrewer.com/documenta ... rtWine.pdf

In the defense of the others, let them age 3-5 years and stop putting too young bottles out there
Elchonon Hellinger
Ultra geek

Postby Elchonon Hellinger » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:42 pm

Mike BG wrote:No wine, however good, which is made out of Portugal by the traditional method may be called 'Port'. Doing so is a breach of international conventions (which Israel is a signatory to - take note Zion Wineries - I spotted bottles of red wine of yours labelled 'Port' this week). Whether it is good or not is another question altogether.

Thats why KD is called KPort,
Elchonon Hellinger
Ultra geek

Postby Elchonon Hellinger » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:51 pm

what is this aged 32 years ?!?

http://www.elephantwine.com/vsku1774047.html
Elchonon Hellinger
Ultra geek

Postby YoelA » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:18 pm

As a long-time port drinker, let me weigh in here.

1. The kosher ports (that is, those made in Portugal) are made by Taylor Fladgate, one of the top port houses (wineries).

2. As to QPR, I suppose their ports are priced well for kosher ports. However, they are priced considerably higher than non-kosher ports of similar quality. A ruby port, that is, a relatively young, non-vintage port, which costs maybe as little as $ 18-19 in kosher form ($ 28.00 at OnlineKosherWine), is more likely to cost $ 12- 15 non-kosher less at Trader Joe's). Their 2005 late-bottled vintage port is listed at $ 48.00; a typical late-bottled vintage port could be had for about $ 25.00 at Costco or perhaps $ 30.00 elsewhere.

3. Yes, I have drunk a number of fine vintage posrts and have some in my "cellar". They are the world's greatest dessert wines, especially old tawny (wood-aged) ones. The best port I ever drank (bought a bottle for my 40th birthday) was Burnestre "El Duque", which had spent an average 50 years in wood. The Yikvei Zion wine (32 years in barrel) referenced by Elhanon might be of that nature, but I'm not familiar with it and it's not likely to have been made in Portugal.

4. Just in case anyone's interested in trying a pretty good and well-priced non-kosher tawny port, the best QPR I know of is Costco's own 10-or 20-year old tawnies (which are usually made by Fonseca) or the 10-year-old Quarles Harris tawny port ($ 15.00 at Trader Joe's).
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby Elchonon Hellinger » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:39 pm

Hey,
I dont see any QPR to the ports besides KD, let them make port as it should be ESPECIALLY the good winery's... where I expect them to make an above par bottle..

My brother got Elie 3 bottles (sorry he alreasdy has the 2 ventura cf and other stuff) and tasted a 10 yr KD port, he only sells the 5 year I believe.

So north eatern ppl, go breack down Elie's door on monday
Elchonon Hellinger
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:07 am

Elchonon Hellinger wrote:My brother got Elie 3 bottles (sorry he alreasdy has the 2 ventura cf and other stuff) and tasted a 10 yr KD port, he only sells the 5 year I believe.

I've also tasted the 10 yr KD port, liked it but BY FAR not as much as the 5yr.
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Postby Craig Winchell » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:15 pm

YoelA, I concur that old tawnies are some of the greatest values in the wine world-- I wish they were kosher. But in that you placed them together in a thought about vintage Port, just want to set the record straight to those not in the know that tawnies are nonvintage. And it should be noted that one of the reasons for their value is the huge demand for vintage Port by the marketplace, making tawnies often an overlooked category.
Craig Winchell
Wine guru

Postby YoelA » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:15 pm

Craig; almost all tawny ports are non-vintage but there are occasional vinatge ones. Offley Boa Vista used to bottle some from time to time. They also are very nice but tend to be lighter and more delicare than the non-vintage tawnies.
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby Daniel Kovnat » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:01 pm

"Any port in a storm......" I get so confused when it comes to port wine and the rules, regulations, and laws about what you can call port and where you can't call it port and who is a signatory to what. I say that "a port by any other name would taste as sweet." The whole thing is a an accident anyway with someone long ago having added some brandy to wine to prevent it from spoiling when shipped on the high seas to Britannia. The various types of Ruby, Tawney, Aged Tawney, Colheita, Vintage, single-quinta vintage, LBV, crusted, Garrafeira, or even white ports have me completely bamboozled. I would like to get some of the port that is amongst the best of lot so I can have some standard against which to make comparison. I was even sent an email be Victor Schoenfield about this subject in response to a TN of mine about the GHW T squared (sorry, I can't get the computer to write T and superscript 2). Here it is:

Hi! Purely by chance, I ran across your blog entry regarding Yarden T2. First of all, thanks for checking the wine out and also writing about it. In addition, thanks for you kind words in general.

One comment: as you know, Port wine styles are generally split between the Tawnys and the Rubys. You compare ours to a Fonseca 20 year old Tawny. The style of our wine is in the Vintage (Vintage Port being the top of the Ruby style) direction. I think you'll find that Fonseca Vintage Port will normally start at around $40 a bottle and go up from there. That said, ours is still not "cheap". But if you do want to do a comparison tasting some time, I would suggest doing it with a Vintage Port.

This confused me further. I guess I'm going to have to take a course on this whole subject or give up trying to understand it. Any suggestions?
Come on over to read about my experience tasting wines produced in Israel at http://www.israelwinetaster.com
Daniel Kovnat
Ultra geek

Postby YoelA » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:27 am

Daniel: I can tell you what those terms mean but I'm not sure what your question(s) is/are. And what wine is being discussed in the correspondence you cite?
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby Mike BG » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:59 am

Daniel Rogov z"l once wrote a rather nice article about the different types of Port. I have no idea if it is still on the web, but I may have a copy at home.
Mike BG
Ultra geek

Postby Josh Patt » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:46 pm

I understand that the conversation was about the Yarden T squared.
Interesting that he suggests comparing it to a vintage port. If so, shouldn't it need a lot more ageing?
Josh
Josh Patt
Ultra geek

Postby Harry J » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:01 pm

Re yarder T2 in case anyone is interested ,spotted it on ave U and east 2nd for about 55. H
Harry J
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum