The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Looking for BYO restaurants in Portland, Oregon area

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Vin Pina

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:20 pm

Looking for BYO restaurants in Portland, Oregon area

by Vin Pina » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:35 pm

I'm looking for BYO restaurants in Portland, Oregon area. I've looked on Zagat, Yelp, Wine Spectator, and Urban Spoon with not much in the way of results.
Any suggestions?
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: Looking for BYO restaurants in Portland, Oregon area

by Hoke » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:09 pm

Vin Pina wrote:I'm looking for BYO restaurants in Portland, Oregon area. I've looked on Zagat, Yelp, Wine Spectator, and Urban Spoon with not much in the way of results.
Any suggestions?

Not quite sure what you mean here, Vin. If you're looking for restaurants that are benign about bringing a special bottle in, that's pretty much every one I know. Might charge a minimal corkage fee, but maybe not if you buy another bottle.

This is considered wine country so bringing bottles in---again, for certain reasons---is de rigeur. I personally wouldn't worry about it much.

Of course if you do it because you're trying to avoid paying wine list prices, that's another thing entirely. :wink:
no avatar
User

Vin Pina

Rank

Cellar rat

by Vin Pina » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:20 pm

Hoke wrote:
Vin Pina wrote:I'm looking for BYO restaurants in Portland, Oregon area. I've looked on Zagat, Yelp, Wine Spectator, and Urban Spoon with not much in the way of results.
Any suggestions?

Not quite sure what you mean here, Vin. If you're looking for restaurants that are benign about bringing a special bottle in, that's pretty much every one I know. Might charge a minimal corkage fee, but maybe not if you buy another bottle.

This is considered wine country so bringing bottles in---again, for certain reasons---is de rigeur. I personally wouldn't worry about it much.

Of course if you do it because you're trying to avoid paying wine list prices, that's another thing entirely. :wink:

Thanks for the reply. What I mean is, in other cities I'ved lived, Boston, NYC, Hartford, there are published lists of restaurants that permit BYO without a corkage fee. Gobyo.com and Zagat, as examples, actively maintains such lists. I want to know exactly which restaurants allow BYO in the Portland, OR area. However, it sounds like no such list exists. You just have to wing it and ask each and every restaurant, is what you're saying? :D
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:28 pm

No idea, but hello Vin. Long time no see.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:38 pm

Vin Pina wrote: I want to know exactly which restaurants allow BYO in the Portland, OR area. However, it sounds like no such list exists. You just have to wing it and ask each and every restaurant, is what you're saying?

Your second post asked, as I read it, about restaurants that allowed you to bring in your own wines without paying corkage.

Don't know about that but in past week we have been bringing our own wine to dinner in a hotel restaurant with airs and paying $15 corkage, in a branch of Elmers they first had to ask the manageress and search out a corkscrew but it was just $5.

Paying corkage when you're not buying wine from them seems only fair.

Just ask.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:05 pm

Peter May wrote:
Vin Pina wrote: I want to know exactly which restaurants allow BYO in the Portland, OR area. However, it sounds like no such list exists. You just have to wing it and ask each and every restaurant, is what you're saying?

Your second post asked, as I read it, about restaurants that allowed you to bring in your own wines without paying corkage.

Don't know about that but in past week we have been bringing our own wine to dinner in a hotel restaurant with airs and paying $15 corkage, in a branch of Elmers they first had to ask the manageress and search out a corkscrew but it was just $5.

Just ask.

Did you have the German Pancakes in Elmers, Peter? It's something of a Portland tradition. :D
no avatar
User

Vin Pina

Rank

Cellar rat

by Vin Pina » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:32 pm

Peter May wrote:

Just ask.

Thanks for the note. I'm not asking about fairness or willingness to pay a corkage fee. I'm only asking if there is a list of BYO restaurants with zero corkage (I'll take a list with corkage fees also). Fairness, in Peter's words, implies a restaurant where they have liquor for sale. That was not my question. My question was far more general. So, the word fair is not relevant to my question. if there is a list of BYO restaurants in Portland (with or without corkage), as I asked, great. If not, that's ok too.

FYI, La Sirene in NY, or Yama in Wellesley, to name just two of many, promote BYO with zero corkage fee. Should I ask them "is that fair." No, as it is not relevant. As an aside, I tip them handsomely for their food service. :)
no avatar
User

Vin Pina

Rank

Cellar rat

by Vin Pina » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:33 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:No idea, but hello Vin. Long time no see.

Good to be back! Best to you and Laura!
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:45 pm

Hoke wrote:
Did you have the German Pancakes in Elmers, Peter? It's something of a Portland tradition. :D

I didn't know that .....

I had the Flat Iron steak, something which I heard of first on this forum, and this was the first time I encountered it.

Juicy, tender and quite flavoursome.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:26 pm

Vin Pina wrote:

Vin, here on the west coast there is no such list or tradition. A proprietor who knows you might not charge you corkage personally, and a Somme might not charge you if you offer him a glass of something interesting, but as others have inferred corkage in the kind of restaurant you'd want to take a bottle to is pretty much standard.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Vin Pina

Rank

Cellar rat

by Vin Pina » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:28 pm

Jenise wrote:
Vin Pina wrote:

Vin, here on the west coast there is no such list or tradition. A proprietor who knows you might not charge you corkage personally, and a Somme might not charge you if you offer him a glass of something interesting, but as others have inferred corkage in the kind of restaurant you'd want to take a bottle to is pretty much standard.

Hi Jenise, Thanks for your note. I obtained a list. All set.