Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

I love this cranberry recipe, however....

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

I love this cranberry recipe, however....

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:02 pm

I'd like to find out exactly why I need to thicken it. The recipe does not call for it, but it does not set up like my other recipes. I think it has too much liquid going on...what do you think?
The only ID I have for this recipe is the name Sara Blanchard at the top.

1- 12 oz. bag cranberries
1 1/2 cup fruity red wine
1 1/4 cup brown sugar
zest and juice of 1 orange (Sara says recipe called for zest only, but she added the juice, as well)
1 tsp. Allspice
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1/3 cup minced crystallized ginger
1/4 tsp. cloves

Mix it all up and boil, then simmer for about 20 minutes.
Serves 8
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: I love this cranberry recipe, however....

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:39 pm

I make my own cranberry sauce all the time. This recipe is out of balance. For 12 oz of cranberries you should have 1 cup of liquid and 3/4 cup sweetener. Also, the cooking time is too long. Once the simmer is reached, 10 minutes is enough.

You should not juice the orange, just chop it up. Choose a thin-skinned variety. Also, do not cook the chopped orange. After the 10 minutes, take the pot off the stove, pour the goo into a bowl, let it cool for 15-20 minutes, then stir in the fruit and the seasonings.

Another good post-boil addition is toasted walnut pieces.

I use water instead of wine but I add a couple ounces of Grand Marnier at the end. :wink:
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:59 pm

This is the one I've been making for more than 10 years and it sets up perfect everytime. I smash a lot of the berries (even more) after they burst before I put it into the mold. I also use half water for the liquid instead of full Port. It was a little too "Port-y" for us. It's just not Thanksgiving without this recipe.

Jellied Cranberry and Port Sauce Gourmet | November 1991

Yield: Serves 8

a 12-ounce bag of cranberries, picked over
1 1/2 cups sugar, or to taste
1 cup Tawny Port
1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, or to taste

In a large saucepan combine the cranberries, the sugar, the Port, the zest, and the lemon juice, simmer the mixture, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the berries have burst and the mixture has thickened, and let it cool. Spoon the mixture into a lightly oiled 1-quart decorative mold and chill it, covered, for at least 3 hours or overnight. Run a thin knife around the edge of the mold, dip the mold into warm water for 10 seconds, and invert it onto a serving plate.

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/ ... z2C89JN8oq
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:17 pm

Thanks for your suggestions. I'd like to try your recipe Carrie and will amend the recipe on the one I have and see if I can get it to work the way I want. :)
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:10 am

Is it possible that the recipe really means dried cranberries? They would probably require more liquid and possibly a longer cooking time.
Just wondered as dried cranberries are all that is available most of the time down under.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:00 pm

I doubt it, Barb. Usually, the dried kind have already been sweetened so no add'l sugar would be needed.

Also, the thickening agent is the natural pectin in the fruit; does that remain viable when dried?