The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Quintessa "Seminar" at Enotria in Sacramento

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Quintessa "Seminar" at Enotria in Sacramento

by Brian K Miller » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:11 pm

A friend invited me to attend a "seminar" wine tasting for Quintessa, the large estate in Rutherford, at Enotria Wine bar and Bistro in Sacramento. Very enjoyable!

After starting the event with a quite "minerally" and powerful Sauvignon Blanc, we moved to the main tasting. Very interesting presentation. Quintessa is a 280 acre estate in the heart of Rutherford which offers quite diverse terroirs and even microclimates. They blend their estate lots into a single "red wine" each year (which could be legally labeled Cabernet Sauvignon) with a blend which varies each vintage. We viewed some interesting videos about the history of the state and their winemaking philosophy.

So...they basically gave us barrel samples from the forthcoming (in good time) 2011 vintage. Two cabernets, a Cabernet Franc, and a Petit Verdot. I really enjoyed the barrel samples! The first lot was amazingly fresh...tannic and powerful but quite elegant with a fine hint of pyrazines adding freshness. The second cabernet was much softer and fruiter. The standout, though, was the Petit Verdot, with its powerful violet aroma and juicy acidity.

Moving on to finished wine, we sampled the 2006 and the 2009 vintages. I am not sure I cared that much for the 2006, it had some notes that I did not like that almost suggested oxidation or something?????? But the 2009 was very firm and structured yet fresh, confirming again, imho, the quality of the vintage.

Im liked the 2009 wine quite a bit...it has a very restrained and elegant style. If one likes wineries like Corison, Clos Du Val, etc, this is a fine style of wine. I did not purchase any wine, even though they were giving a very good price, Quintessa is high $$$ stuff.

A note on Enotria....We repaired to the restaurant after the tasting and sampled the five course tasting menu from Enotria's new chef (two weeks). Not very familiar with the latest trends in high end dining, but the focus was on high tech and unusual preparations. Foams and crisps and other unique textures and preparations. Very "intellectual" :lol: But, which, imo, worked very well...delicious and unique food! Even the house-baked bread was delicious. I would not do the complex menu justice, but I had a mushroom salad course, beef carpaccio, squab, a sorbet, and a bourbon desert which was the only course I was not wild about. And, we had a bottle of 2009 Corison Napa Valley which I had brought as a gift for my friend (since he paid for the tasting event) but which we proceeded to drink with the meal. Not sure a bold, rich, but so balanced Napa red was the best wine for the tasting menu courses, but darn it is good. At half the price of Quintessa, too. :?

A fun experience. Thanks to my friend John for dinner and the event!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Lior Yogev

Rank

Just got here

Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:13 pm

A green Israeli campus

Re: Quintessa "Seminar" at Enotria in Sacramento

by Lior Yogev » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:57 pm

Hi,

I visited the estate on Silverado trail and I highly recommend it. It cost 50$ (at least a couple of years ago) and required scheduling a couple of weeks in advance.
You take a short hike and taste the Illumination sauv blanc* on a hill overlooking the estate and then return to the winery to taste the reds. In my visit I tasted two released vintages, and barrel samples - all cab but from different plots, which was quite amazing. The instructor then lets you try to blend them they way you see fit.
An amazing figure that I learned is that when they make the final blends (after the barrel aging), they select only the top 30% of the barrels and sell the rest as bulk wine.
Bottom line - beautiful place to visit and terrific wines, well worth the cost of the visit.

* The white wine is actually not labelled under the Quintessa label

Lior

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:15 pm

Beautiful photographs! Thanks! Sounds like a similar experience to the restaurant tasting!

I really like the architecture of the winery (it's very functional, too!) and we ride right by it quite often on Silverado Trail.

I almost bought some of the Sauvignon Blanc.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:37 pm

I recently had a bottle of the 2006 Faust and I think that wine is made by the son of the owner of Qunitessa. I have never had any Quintessa wines but believe the Faust is made in a bigger,bolder style. Can anyone confirm any of these rumors?
I liked the Faust a lot and bougth a case of the 2009 Cabernet not long afterwards.