The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: GarfieldEstates Syrah CO '09...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: GarfieldEstates Syrah CO '09...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:48 pm

Tried this last night w/ my pork rollotini:
1. GarfieldEstates Syrah GrandVlly/CO (14.2%; www.GarfieldEstates.com) JeffCarr/Founder; RainerThoma/Winemaker/Palisade 2009: Med.dark color w/ slight bricking; slightly reduced/fecal that cleared immediately earthy/dusty strong blackberry/blueberry/Syrah bit peppery/espresso/Rhonish some toasty/charred/smokey/oak fairly perfumed very intriguing nose; soft rather earthy/dusty/mineral/coffee/espresso bit tannic/chalky strong blackberry/blueberry/Syrah rather toasty/smokey/oak/slight buttery quite interesting flavor; bit rustic/earthy/dusty slight mineral/graphite/pungent bit tannic/hard strong blueberry/Syrah some charred/smokey/oak finish; quite an interesting and well-made Syrah; speaks strongly of Syrah fruit; the earthy/dusty/graphite character reminds me some of SouthAfrica or Argentine Syrah, maybe a few of the Swiss Syrahs; I was very favorably impressed and thought it maybe the best CO red wine I've tried. $18.00
1. I got this Syrah at BoulderWineMerchant in early Sept and have been wanting to try it since then. Every visit I make to BWM, I usually try to snag a CO wine to try. This one was recommended to me by Gili, so should have known it would be good. I was rather impressed...way better than any Syrah from NM or TX that I've tried.
Tom