The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Frank Prial has died

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Frank Prial has died

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:28 pm

I've been out most of the day and had hoped someone might have beat me to this. It's sad to read of the death at 82 - not so old by today's standards - of Frank Prial, who served as wine critic of the New York Times starting in 1972, at the birth of modern wine writing, and continued for 30 years or so.

I guess I always gravitated to Prial because he came up through the ranks as a general news reporter, a career path that I would mirror a decade later on a much less imposing path, adding wine writing to my duties as news reporter at The Louisville Times starting in the early '80s. I always looked up to Prial as a kind of model, I guess, and felt close to him even after Parker and the Spectator came along and brought a very different approach to wine reporting.

Here's the NY Times obituary ...
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/08/dinin ... at-82.html

And a really nice piece he wrote in 2008 that I quote not so much because it's head-and-shoulders above the rest but because it's the kind of wine reporting that Frank did routinely:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/16/dinin ... rankjprial

Rest in peace ... may choirs of angels bearing crystal stemware filled with fine and rare Burgundy and Bordeaux sing you to your rest. :)
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Frank Prial has died

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:13 am

I remember his name when I first came to N America. I will have to check some of his writings again. RIP.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Nice Tribute

by TomHill » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:44 pm

Nice tribute to Prial here:
PrialTribute

Tom
no avatar
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Just got here

Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:09 pm

by Craig Winchell » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:06 pm

He was a very nice fellow, from the little contact we actually had. His article on my winery was one of the first major reviews it received (mostly human interest because of the kosher aspect, rather than a wine review per se). I remember the almost painless interview, and he didn't misstate my answers, unlike many interviewers.
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:53 pm

RIP, Frank.

Actually, I just recently discovered Frank's writing through the New York Times Book of Wine that a I received as a gift a couple of months ago. I was immediately drawn to his approachable and friendly, yet intelligent and thorough style of journalism.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Nuther Tribute...

by TomHill » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:09 pm

MikeDunne weighs in w/ a nicely done tribute on his blog:
DunneBlog

Tom