The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Election night and nor'easter wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Election night and nor'easter wines

by Dale Williams » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:28 pm

Tuesday night we were supposed to go to some friends’ home to watch the election. Unfortunately, about 4 PM their phone/net/TV service provider had a blackout, and neither manse nor church had service. A flurry of phone calls, and Hubert and Linda agreed to host. I made a white bean/anchovy/caper dip, others brought mulligatawny soup, vegetarian lasagna, sage shortbread with chevre, salad, and more.

There was some wine, my couple of bottles had label surgery with tape and a Sharpie

2009 Obamahauser Leistenberg Riesling Kabinett
Fleshy but fresh and bright, lime and apple over a mineral base. B++

2004 Ghisolfi Barack
Some gritty Barolo tannin, but solid fruit, tar, a bit of leather. Young, but would be good with a steak, a bit much for the lasagna. B with potential

I didn’t note details of other wines- there was a Bogle Chardonnay that while not my style was maybe a bit better than I expected, a Cavit PG that was even worse than I expected, and a J. Lohr CS that was decent enough for inexpensive Cab.

Wednesday was a bit scary. Betsy had taken my old Corolla rather than her AWD RAV4 (due to lack of gas) to a rehearsal, by time she headed home the nor’easter was dumping a bunch of wet snow and roads got bad. But she made it back, and I had dinner ready. Chicken breast in a morel cream sauce, rice, acorn squash, and broccoli, Wine was the 2004 Alesia “Chileno Valley” Pinot Noir. A little gassy, raspberry fruit, tart acids but the fruit matches up, a touch of barnyard but within my tolerance level. Pleasant but not profound. B/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: WTN: Election night and nor'easter wines

by Diane (Long Island) » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:44 pm

That 2004 Alesia was a clunker for me when I drank it a few years ago. I think Kevin Harvey admitted there were problems with it. I had 2 bottles and both were spoiled by Brett, and 1 also had VA.

On the other hand, I drank a 2007 Alesia Falstaff Rd. the other night that was beautiful. I've liked the Pinots with the exception of the 2004 Chileno.

I'm glad to hear that Becky made it home safely. Crazy weather.
Diane
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Election night and nor'easter wines

by David M. Bueker » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:28 am

As much as I love the spatlesen from Donnhoff (a 2010 Kirschheck spatlese a week ago was stunning), I drink much more of the Estate Riesling and Leistenberg Kabinett. Such great values for what is in the bottle.
Decisions are made by those who show up