The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Orange Pinot Grigio

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Orange Pinot Grigio

by Saina » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:21 pm

2006 Az. Ag. Franco Terpin Pinot Grigio "Sialis" Venezie IGT
14% abv; a Pinot Grigio fermented with skins. It is aged for 12 months in oak and a further 12 in acacia. Sialis is Terpin's selection that he makes only in the best years. Due to skin contact, this looks alarmingly like Irn-Bru. From the scent it is easy to understand what I read in Jancis Robinson's new book on grape varieties that PG and Pinot Noir are the same grape variety since this smells like a grand old red Burgundy. The fruit can only be described as Pinosity; it has rye bread and other such scents associated with age; but then the fruit on the palate still seems vibrant and sexy just like in a good red Burgundy. But it is fairly low in acidity and I do find a touch of heat on the finish. But somehow it still stays together and is actually quite moreish. Exciting stuff. (NB! Pharmacists don't recommended using Sialis with grapefruit :) .)

I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: Orange Pinot Grigio

by Brian K Miller » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:58 pm

Interesting, Otto.

Copain Winery in Sonoma County (although their grape sources primarily are in Mendocino) makes a 50-50 blend of Pinot Noir and Pinot Gris that reminded me somewhat of a good "natural" (slightly funky) Cru Beaujolais. So...the quality of this blend may reflect their close relationship.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Re: WTN: Orange Pinot Grigio

by Bill Hooper » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:54 am

Two weeks ago I was at Bassermann-Jordan and tried a blend of Pinot gris (grauburgunder) and Gewürztraminer that had been co-fermented on the skins in Amphora. It was an interesting light-rose color and tasted very much like rosewater with tannin. The alcohol was a little too high for my tastes, but it was interesting. The also have a couple of Amphorea of blaufränkisch fermenting and one of Muskateller which was excellent. These will likely not be offered to the public, but done only as experiments.

We are making Silvaner in Amphora with whole grapes (destemmed) this year and another in tank -the flavors so far are really extraordinary -lots of fruit tea and herbal notes. I'll put together some pictures of the digging and filling at some point. It was a hell of a lot of fun. I hope that they turn out.

cheers,
Bill
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com