The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Long time no TN...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

Long time no TN...

by John S » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:40 pm

Catching up on notes.

• 2007 Château du Trignon Côtes du Rhône Villages Sablet - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône Villages Sablet (10/22/2012)
    Very Rhone-ish on the powerful nose, with earthy cherries, plums and lavender the main impressions. Medium bodied on the palate, with still a few tannins at the back end, and the grenache dominating right now. There's earthy notes, a hint of leather (OK, maybe the mourvedre showed up), but mainly plums, cherries and red licorice. It seems to be tightening up with a bit of air: this is still quite structured. A solid QPR, and solid wine too. It doesn''t have the big plushness of some 2007s. This should be better in 2-3 years. (B+)
  • 2006 Domaine Lorenzon Mercurey 1er Cru Champs Martin - France, Burgundy, Côte Chalonnaise, Mercurey 1er Cru (10/21/2012)
    Hazy notes from last night. Had with seafood crepes, and the food improved the wine. Lovely pinot nose, and the light to medium-bodied opened up a bit with air. But still, it stayed on the light and acidic side, though certainly with lovely cherry, strawberry and a hint of forest floor notes. Still developing over the next few years, I think. Solid but unspectaular. (B+)
  • 2003 Charles Joguet Chinon Cuvée de La Cure - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Chinon (10/16/2012)
    After an hour open, this wine is light-medium ruby coloured. The nose is interesting, not too powerful, but with some leather, red licorice, plums and cherries. Mainly a mix of redfruits on the fairly light, elegant, and simple palate. Despite the lightness, there are still some slight tannins at the back end. This would probably be best with subtle foods, and is probably best to drink now or in the very near future. No brett, though, and no green notes from this bottle, but ultimately not very interesting. (B)
  • 2009 Château Gaudrelle Vouvray - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray (9/28/2012)
    Hazy notes from last night. Classic chenin, with a slightly viscous texture, funky flavours of tropical fruits, wool and minerals. Slightly off dry, very nicely balanced and with good concentration for a 'basic' wine from this producer. I always think this is a very good QPR, especially in great years like the 2009. I'll grab a couple more, as it will last and improve several years yet. (A-)
  • 2007 Peregrine Pinot Noir - New Zealand, South Island, Otago, Central Otago (9/27/2012)
    Hazy notes. There was a lovely cherry liqueur nose on this wine, and a nice, medium bodied, velvety palate with more cherries and asian spices. Nice concentration and balance. Drinking very nicely now, but should last several years. (A-)
  • 2009 Whitehaven Pinot Noir Greg - New Zealand, South Island, Marlborough (9/10/2012)
    Popped and pured this last week with a salmon dinner. Not very impressed, as it was fairly light bodied, and there was too much acidity and/or not enough fruit. It did open up a little with time and food, but this bottle was a disappointment. A nice enough and correct nose, but the palate was weak. (B)
  • 2000 R. López de Heredia Rioja Blanco Crianza Viña Gravonia - Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja (9/8/2012)
    Didn't take notes, but this was nice as always. Bottle variation is a given with this wine. Very dry on the light-medium bodied palate, with some oxidation and light pineapple and lemon fruit notes. Not as nice as some previous bottles. (B+)
  • 2006 Graham Beck Syrah The Ridge - South Africa, Breede River Valley, Robertson (9/8/2012)
    Hazy notes from last night. The last bottle of the night, but it still managed to impress! Quite a modern style, rich, ripe and concentrated, but it did have a wonderful velvety structure, and nice complexity, with some game notes mingled with the red fruits and herbs. Impressive syrah. (A-)
  • 2002 Celler Joan Simó Priorat Les Eres Vinyes Velles - Spain, Catalunya, Priorat (9/2/2012)
    Notes from the second night open. The cork disintegrated on me while opening this. Nice if rather generic and light red fruit nose, but some plum, cherry, chocolate and smoke there. There a fairly concentrated, medium bodied palate, smooth in texture, with very slight tannins at the end. The flavour of cherries, black plums, tobacco, earth and red licorice are enhanced by a nice acidity.This is a bit better on the second night, with increased complexity, but still pretty lousy QPR. But it isn't as modern or in your face as some other Priorat wines, so that's a plus for me; it's probably a reflection of the vintage. (A-)
  • 2006 Escarpment Pinot Noir - New Zealand, North Island, Wairarapa, Martinborough (8/29/2012)
    Medium ruby in colour, with an attractive raspberry and herb nose. Medium bodied on the palate, with more complexity than on the nose. Raspberry, cherry, lovely earthy notes, herbs, and healthy acidity are the main components. Good food wine. Nicely done for the basic Escarpment offering, this should last several years yet. (B+/A-)
  • 2007 Unison Vineyard Syrah Gimblett Gravels - New Zealand, North Island, Hawkes Bay, Gimblett Gravels (8/23/2012)
    Hazy notes from last night. The nose was very complex and inviting, with blackfruits and smoke. The medium-full bodied palate was velvety smooth, with again nice, complex flavours and a long peppery finish. The only downside for me was the use of what I assume was American oak, which added a dill note that detracted from what was otherwise a lovely wine. Still a nice wine, but I wish they'd switch to French oak! (B+/A-)
  • 2003 Weingut Max Ferd. Richter Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (8/21/2012)
    Hazy notes from last night. This was singing from the get-go. The wine impressed me with its intensity and concentration. Lots of peaches on the medium-full palate, with minerals, apricots, pineapples and lime as well. Lovely, long finish.Well balanced, especially given the vintage. Sad to see it's my last one! It should last many years yet. (A-)
  • 2004 Schloss Lieser Niederberg Helden Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (8/19/2012)
    A lovely young wine drinking well now. Lovely slatey and tropical fruit nose, and very honeyed on the medium-full palate, with a mix of citrus and more tropical fruit and minerals. Despite the honeyed taste, there was nice balance to the wine, a reflection at least in part by the 'classic' vintage in 2004. Drink or hold, glad to have two bottles left. (A-)
  • 2009 Cave Spring Riesling Indian Summer Select Late Harvest - Canada, Ontario, Niagara Peninsula, Niagara Peninsula VQA (8/5/2012)
    Light gold in colour, with lime and a hint of caramel on the interesting nose. Lots of interesting citrus, mango and banana notes, and again, for lack of a better description, an oatmeal/caramel note. Very lively acidity keeps this very refreshing - nicely done. Drink or hold for several years. (B+/A-)
  • 2009 Kerpen Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (7/9/2012)
    Had this with the 2008 kabinett last week. I liked the kabinett better, no doubt because of the racier acidity in the 2008 vintage. The spatlese is a 'classic' 2009, quite ripe, and indeed a little too much so for my tastes. But there's no doubting it is very tasty as well, with lots of apricots and some tropical notes too. Will the 2009s lose all this fruit and become more balanced in the future? I wonder... Solid wine for sure, just a little too ripe for my tastes. (B+)
  • 2008 Kerpen Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (6/8/2012)
    Had this last week with the 2009 spatlese version. I enjoyed this kabinett more, as it had much more vivacity (i.e., acidity), no doubt a result of the different vintage. 2008 is more my style, more acidity and structure and less opulent. This was a very solid kabinett with lots of citrus and tropical fruit and nice minerality and acidity. Will get more! (A-)
  • 2005 Craggy Range Te Kahu Gimblett Gravels Vineyard - New Zealand, North Island, Hawkes Bay, Gimblett Gravels (6/4/2012)
    Notes from second night open. Very deep ruby in colour. Moderate, very nice nose full of blackfruits, blueberry, cedar, milk chocolate and hints of oak. Medium bodied on the smooth, ripe palate; a little hollow in the mid palate. Mainly blackfruits, chocolate, plums and slight oak notes are present right now. Somewhat simplistic on the palate, but this is a solid, tasty Bordeaux blend that's ready now, but could last several years. The merlot is definitely dominant in this wine. (B+)
  • 2005 Concha y Toro Cabernet Sauvignon Terrunyo Block Las Terrazas - Chile, Central Valley, Maipo Valley, Pirque (4/26/2012)
    Hazy notes from 3 days ago. A wonderful nose of this wine with nice complexity of fruit and herbs. Medium-full bodied on the velvety palate , with good concentration and intensity. Lots of blackfruits with some leather and hints of chocolate and herbs. Still young on the palate, it should improve over the next few years. Solid QPR. (A-)
  • 2008 La Bête Pinot Noir Saint Vincent Cuvée - USA, Oregon (3/27/2012)
    Hazy notes. This was a great QPR, and a wonderful OR pinot from the 2088 vintage. I was surprised at how open it was, but it drank well after a pop n pour. Medium bodied, quite elegant, lots of red fruits and hints of Asian spices, and a great silky texture. (A-)
  • 2006 Perrin & Fils Vacqueyras Les Christins - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Vacqueyras (3/17/2012)
    Medium ruby in colour. An earthy cherry nose that is reflected in the medium bodied palate, with a hint of cloves and plums. Slight tannins, and a little warmth at the end as well. The slight warmth detracted from the wine, and made it a little heavy. Solid as always, but not the best vintage of this wine I've tasted. (B+)
  • 2004 Philippe Delesvaux Coteaux du Layon Clos du Pavillon - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Coteaux du Layon (3/17/2012)
    Last bottle of this, and it has evolved well. Wonderful funky chenin notes on the rich, off dry palate. The nose wasn't too expressive, but the wine sure was. (A-)
  • 2005 Cuvée du Vatican Châteauneuf-du-Pape Réserve Sixtine - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (3/12/2012)
    Hazy notes from 2 nights ago. After about 2 hours in the decanter, this wine was still extremely tight and closed. After about 5 hours, it started to open up, but not by much. Hard to judge this one, there seemed to be some good material in there, with nice concentration and black fruits. I won't touch my other bottle for another 4-5 years.
  • 1999 Château Faizeau Sélection Vieilles Vignes - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Montagne-St. Émilion (3/7/2012)
    Hazy notes from 2 days ago, after decanting about 2 hours. Lovely nose on this wine, with a medium-full bodied palate with blackfruit, cedar and tobacco. Seems to be ready now, but should last for a while yet. Nice QPR Bordeaux. (B+/A-)
  • 2008 Ataraxia Chardonnay - South Africa, Western Cape (3/3/2012)
    Hazy notes from last week. I really enjoyed this chardonnay, and I'm not usually a big fan of old World chardonnays. Very nice balance of fruit, acid and oak, and a long finish. A mix of tropical and citrus fruits in this medium bodied, elegant wine. (A-)
  • 2006 Loimer Grüner Veltliner Käferberg - Austria, Niederösterreich, Kamptal, Langenlois (2/26/2012)
    Hazy notes from last night. Wonderful GV, it was the silky texture texture of the wine i remember most, with apples and apricots on the medium-full bodied palate. Slightly off dry, but well balanced; weighty, but not heavy.Very enjoyable, especially as it warmed up a bit. (A-)
  • 2002 Albert Mann Pinot Gris Furstentum - France, Alsace, Alsace Grand Cru AOC (2/16/2012)
    Deep bronze in colour, with a wonderful nose of honeyed apricot, smoke, and a hint of oxidation. Drier than I would have thought (given the nose) on the medium-bodied palate, there is tropical fruits, pears, creme brulee and a bit more oxidation (but not too much). There's a long finish on this complex, intriguing wine. But this is on its way downhill now - I'd drink up ASAP if you have any. (A-)
"Tastes are perhaps first and foremost distastes, provoked by the disgust and visceral intolerance ... of the taste of others". Pierre Bourdieu (1984, p. 56)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Long time no TN...

by Jenise » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:41 pm

As always, love the variety of wines you drink. Interesting note on the Trignon. I've had a few Trignon CdR's in the past and though they've always been pleasant, I never got the impression that they would keep the way your 07 is doing.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:10 am

My taste in wine is almost as eclectic as my taste in music. I'm not a 'top 40' guy, and that blends into my taste in wine as well, I suspect.

While I have no problem drinking CDR-V young, I prefer them with some age, and I've never left one too long (I probably just jinxed myself). Maybe I've been listening to Bill too long!?!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:28 am

John S wrote:Catching up on notes.

Well done! Thanks, John.