The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2002 Henri Gouges 'Les Pruliers'

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 2002 Henri Gouges 'Les Pruliers'

by Jenise » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:25 pm

Another Cellar Tracker user captured this wine so well there's no point in me writing my own tasting note, except to say that in the year and a half since he/she wrote this, the wine hasn't changed an iota and his estimate of 2013 as the start of a drinking window is too soon:

Powerful aromatics of roasted and baked cherry with layers of vanilla and cocoa powder, but very muted on the palate, nervous and shy. Screaming acidity never lets the fruit come out and play. Leave this one in the cellar for a few more years, or longer. Drink 2013-2020+

We drank it anyway because what else are you going to do, but it certainly wasn't the experience we hoped for.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: WTN: 2002 Henri Gouges 'Les Pruliers'

by Salil » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:26 pm

Gouges coming across tightly wound, really youthful and structured? Colour me shocked! :twisted:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:08 pm

I know! And from a ripe year like 2002.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:35 pm

While I certainly think 2002 was ripe, it was not in any way overripe, so the normal caveats about Burgundies shutting down apply IME. Gouges is of course the most notorious for taking ages to come around (which is why I stick with Chevillon).
Decisions are made by those who show up