The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: wines before Sandy

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: wines before Sandy

by Dale Williams » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:51 pm

Wines from this week (pre-Sandy)

With a vegetable pizza (tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, and peppers), the 2010 JP Brun (Terres Dorees) “L’Ancien” Beaujolais. It’s usual lovely puppyish self of a wine. Crunchy red (cranberry/raspberry) fruits, juicy without being jammy, nice length, bright. B+

Thursday I broiled some chicken breast and made a toor dal with vegetables, wine was the 2011 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Kabinett #16. Bright, light, elegant, vibrant acid core, tasty tasty tasty.B+/A-

Friday I made halibut and sauteed arugula, with salad, leftover dal, and a half bottle of the 2009 Auvigue “Solutre” Pouilly-Fuisse. Acceptable Chardonnay, pear fruit with enough acidity to keep it alive, but there’s no real core here. That’s ok at $7/375. B-

Later I walked a few blocks to Rob’s house, where my local wine group (plus a couple of Rob’s friends) were having our monthly tasting. Rob had out some nice cheese, sausage, fruit, olives, plus a couple of greeting wines:

2011 Pumphouse (North Fork)
Bland, fat, no guess re varietal comp, seems “generic wine white” like a low end Pinot Grigio. C+

On to the blind red wines. Usually we have a theme of a variety or a region, but this time Rob came up with “bring a wine (red, available for under $30) that your spouse would love, and be prepared to tell why.” I have a much better night guessing than usual, but it was as much social engineering as tasting

Wine #1- whoa, Nelly. This is huge, hot, and not up my alley. Jammy, alcoholic. For once I’m on- I take the first guess- Zinfandel. The owner (not a regular) continues to solicit opinions, so I assume I’m wrong. Finally he says “yes, Zinfandel- from where?” I guess Paso Robles, which is says is correct (though he corrects my pronunciation). I should stop here. 2006 Norman Estate Zinfandel (Paso Robles). C

Wine #2- this is also big, but seems a bit more balanced to me. Tannins, blacker fruits, a little hint of merde. Then Rob mentions he got it through me. Aha, that narrows it down to a few dozen wines, and I get the Haven B&B on first guess. OK, this one was inside knowledge, but better than I usually do. 2006 Havens Black and Blue B

Wine #3- all streaks must come to an end. Light to medium body, moderate acids, cherry fruit. As it’s Fred’s I’m thinking Loire, but doesn’t seem to fit (and then someone guesses that and is told no). I miss with Chianti. In any case, a nice lighter quaffer. I’m surprised at a French guy bringing the 2009 Italo Pietrantonj Montepulciano d’Abruzzo. B
Wine #4 - Roger’s “mine should go next” following Fred’s makes me guess Italy. Roger confirms. Light, smooth, some tar and roses over dried cherries, I guess Nebbiolo, told no. A few more guesses and then Roger says it’s a Barolo (this isn’t the geeky group). Not bad for a under $30 Barolo (though I was thinking Nebbiolo d’Alba or something)., 2006 Settevie Barolo (there’s a prominent “7” on label if more than 1). B/B+

Wine #5- Wow, this is really quite nice. Light to medium bodied, red fruits, a nice nose with sandalwood/incense and floral notes. I ponder Burgundy, but guess Italy, I’m right but my mind is on the wrong end of the country, I’m thinking some Alpine wine when it’s the delicious 2010 Tenuta delle Terre Nere Etna Rosso. B+ My WOTN

Wine #6, mine so no guesses. This was opened about 2.5 hours before being served. On opening it seemed tight, but I thought showed well (in a lighter mode a la 2007) by serving. Red fruits, forest floor, meat. I think Burgundy was quickly nailed, but guesses were older (I didn’t think it tasted old at all, I think these guys are just used to me bringing older wines. 2007 Jadot “Narbantons” Savigny 1er. B+/B

Wine #7- ack! Volatile nose, pruney, madeirized. This is clearly a wine that had a bad cork. 2006 I Perazzi Morellino di Scansano D (but pretty sure this was off bottle not wine).

There wa a Prosecco at the end. Oops, just realized I forgot a red wine. Rob’s friend Greg brought 2 wines, the first was a blind red. Simple, easy, I guessed Rhone and he confirmed, but it was actually a VdP. No further info. He said his wife really only drank Prosecco, so he had brought the NV Ruffino Prosecco. A bit offdry.appley, simple, inoffensive. C+/B-

Saturday I made a bread stuffing for a pork tenderloin, with the 2008 Grosset Springvale Watervale Riesling (Clare Valley). Very appealing- crisp, minerally, with a touch of petrol. Citrus fruit. Very nice, good length. B++

Sunday I spent most of the day in hurricane prep (refastening a drain spout, tying down outdoor stuff, clearing nearby storm drains) but invited some friends for dinner. Lobster salad, steak in a red wine sauce, baked potatoes, and green beans.

NV Moutardier Rose Champagne
Sweet strawberries, a nice bitter touch to the finish, but seems a bit coarse and it’s rather short. B-

2007 Fevre “Bougros” Chablis GC
Beautiful bottle of Chablis, pure and long. Citrus, Granny smith, and earth. Excellent length. This might age well, but with PremOx I’ll just drink em young. A-

1988 Gruaud-Larose (375)
This is rather advanced, not sure if storage (recent acquisition) or just format, but still has some interest. Cassis fruit with a touch of prune, cigarbox, a little ashy on finish. Not shot, but a bit tired. B-

2010 Cameron Hughes “Lot 344” Merlot (Oakville, Napa)

This was cooking wine, but made it to table as well.Midbodied, not very distinctive, blackberry and black plum, a touch of menthol. Pleasant enough. B-

Storm is really kicking up, better post while I have power, good luck all East Coasters!

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

Re: WTN: wines before Sandy

by Brian Gilp » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:29 pm

Dale Williams wrote:
1988 Gruaud-Larose (375)
This is rather advanced, not sure if storage (recent acquisition) or just format, but still has some interest. Cassis fruit with a touch of prune, cigarbox, a little ashy on finish. Not shot, but a bit tired. B-
[b]

I have had a lot of bottle variation with this wine. I think it's been discussed on this board a couple of times in the past. Had a great example of this wine two - three years ago and can't believe that a good bottle would be showing decline.

The winds are just starting to really kick here. Going to be a tense 8-10 hours now. Already have had over 4 inches of rain so real worried about trees coming down over night.
no avatar
User

David Cohen

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:36 pm

Toronto

by David Cohen » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:57 pm

I hope you, your family and friends are safe during this period.
Cheers

David
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:59 pm

Check in with forum when you can Dale if you still have power. My nephew in Hamden, CT is worried about some of the old trees in the backyard coming down. They did some trimming earlier but had plans to hunker down in the basement if necessary for safety of family.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:24 am

sleepless night, no power since 6:30 last night (am at office, just got power back here, may be days at home). We lost several sections of cedar fence- I've never seen anything like that storm. But safe, less rain than forecast (great for my basement, plus we lost less trees than saturated ground). lots of closed roads. Record number of people without power. Transit in city awful. This is a true disaster for lots of people, so I feel lucky.
Thanks all for concern, hope everyone made it through safe if not happy
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:29 am

How did you get to the office? Did you drive in? Glad you are okay.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:35 pm

My office is in Dobbs Ferry, only 1.25 miles from home, I walked (lines down in street) first time this AM, then walked home, then drove back twice (trying to balance work responsibility.
Getting into city would have been more difficult. Metro North is down (apparently there are boats on the tracks), and they didn't reopen bridges till noon
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:19 pm

Hi Dale -

I'm glad to hear that you made out reasonably well with the storm. The images from NYC and NJ are definitely unsettling, and I hope nobody on this board was seriously affected by Sandy.

Anyway, thank you for your great notes again. The Pietrantonj Montepulciano got a mention in the Boston Globe last year as a great QPR, and the 2008 was a decent wine for around $10 or so.

Never had the Grosset Watervale, although it's certainly near the top of the list of New World Rieslings that I'd like to try. I remember being impressed by the 04 Polish Hill a couple of years back.

Having tried a few of the Auvigue wines, there are definitely other Macons that I much prefer.