The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two unNewWorldy Bordeaux Blends

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Two unNewWorldy Bordeaux Blends

by Jenise » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:13 am

First, a 2007 Bernardus Marinus from the Monterey Coast area of California. Not decanted. A very traditional style with all five Bordeaux grapes, the nose was fairly ripe at first but never sweet, and just before the ripeness went into uh-oh-strawberry-jam territory other good things showed up, all savory and earthly and plummy, to give some balance. On the palate, mostly red fruit with iron, dust and interesting herbs. Finish is good and overall, the wine's dry, savory and complete. I think to myself, Otto would like this. It's a wine I've admired in the past for being so disarmingly elegant and traditional at it's usual price of around $40ish (because it's Monterey Coast vs. one of the tonier zip codes), and it's a downright steal at the firesale $18 price I paid. Bob loves it and almost faints with happiness when I tell him I bought a case.

To follow that, because the Giants hadn't won yet, another New World wine of the same blend, a 2005 Meerlust Rubicon from South Africa. Bob immediately picks up on the initial similarities while finding it hard to process the juicy, mouth-bursting huckleberry-laden black fruit and stronger, bandaid-y Bordeauxish back notes with a wine that he's told is both *not* Bordeaux and not even European. IOW, he completely forgot about South Africa. The Meerlust is showing well right now and is as confounding a conundrum of old vs. new as I've ever encountered. Good but almost too cocktail-fruity right now, especially vs. the other conundrum, a wine that's so obviously ripe and yet so restrained.

We both agreed: the Marinus won.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: Two unNewWorldy Bordeaux Blends

by Saina » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:36 am

Always wonderful to get recommendations - though you're probably not very surprised to hear that it isn't available here! :lol:
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:55 am

I've always liked that Bernardus. Would love to see some at that price.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:40 am

David, no surprise since our palates are so similar, yet always good to hear. I probably should have bought two cases, at this silly price (17.92 ea, to be exact) we could have considered it an everyday drinker and still saved a few bottles for Otto. ;)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:55 am

Jenise,
A fairly new producer in CA is trying to do more traditional Bordeaux-styled blends that might also be worth a try - Calluna.
Their property is at the top of Chalk Hill, all fruit is estate and the merlot is special. Cab. and blends are really nice, too.
For future reference.
Oh yeah, they have a website.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:51 am

Bandaidy sounds worrisome. I like Brett in France but hate the South African version. I still remember this utterly bizarre Pinotage (Simonsig).
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach