Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Anomalies in the Kitchen

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

Anomalies in the Kitchen

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:09 pm

This morning I was preparing to bake a cake for Sunday dessert. When I cracked open one of my jumbo eggs, there was another egg inside -- not a second yolk -- another EGG! The sack was definitely intended to be a separate egg, but still soft as it was encased in the larger shell with the other egg. I will cut it open in a few minutes to see the contents. What other oddities have you found in your kitchen adventures? :P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Anomalies in the Kitchen

by Jenise » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:21 pm

How bizarre! That would really unnerve me.

In fact, even looking at your picture of it causes any anomalies I might otherwise think of to scatter from my brain!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:46 pm

Well, I opened the sack, and there was indeed an egg inside! :shock: The yolk wasn't as yellow as most, but I'm certain that was due to underdevelopment. Had I been thinking, I would have tried to sell it on Ebay as a miracle! Sigh. :roll: I wonder if this is due to climate change? :lol:

New Egg.jpg

Yolk.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:37 pm

I wonder if you spoke to a farmer who had laying chickens, he/she would have an answer. Just a freak of nature, like twins in humans who do not form correctly. I have seen lots of double yolks in my time, but not that. Nor anything similar.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:42 am

Never hear of such a thing. It does look a little unnerving.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:34 am

An egg in an egg is uncommon, but does happen from time to time, sometimes the inner egg even has the shell too. We have not yet seen that yet, but we have had eggs laid without the hard shell at all, and recently we've had several eggs that were a full 4 ounces in size. Some hen had a sore butt... We have had eggs with yolk but no white, and more often, yolkless eggs. Sometimes eggs get cracked before being laid, and sealed up again, making for a very bumpy egg.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:33 pm

Another egg story but no picture: Over the summer, my daughter was whisking together an egg with some sugar in a small bowl. After a few minutes, she stopped and noticed that the egg yoke was perfectly intact inside the wire whisk. It was covered in sugar and acted more like a hard boiled egg than the raw egg she started out with. We did not try to repeat what happened but I suspect it had a lot to do with the sugar.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:51 pm

Robert Reynolds wrote:An egg in an egg is uncommon, but does happen from time to time, sometimes the inner egg even has the shell too.

Yes, Robert. The sack I spoke of was in fact a soft shell. Not as hard as the outer shell, but a shell nonetheless, which I cut open with a pair of kitchen shears. Really unusual, but an interesting experience.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:12 pm

Speaking of anomalies, did you see the picture of the dual-colored lobster someone caught recently? I had to google it to make sure this report wasn't a joke.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/2012/10/31/black-and-orange-lobster-caught-off-mass/0Dxcd64fWW64TwjHlZuKrI/story.html
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:45 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:Another egg story but no picture: Over the summer, my daughter was whisking together an egg with some sugar in a small bowl. After a few minutes, she stopped and noticed that the egg yoke was perfectly intact inside the wire whisk. It was covered in sugar and acted more like a hard boiled egg than the raw egg she started out with. We did not try to repeat what happened but I suspect it had a lot to do with the sugar.

Youn, your daughter invented Yemas. We bought some when we visited Toledo, Spain. Google Yemas and you will find recipes, pictures, etc.