Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Venison

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Re: Venison

by Maria Samms » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:00 pm

Thanks Heinz for posting this! Need to get some more venison...can't wait to try it!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:46 am

Venison mates so well with fruit (but not sweet) based sauce. My fave is based on pomegranite.

A hunter friend gave us a bunch last year that we are still enjoying. I had a dish we made with ground moose last night - we call it 'moose-tery meat' special and it is very good.

I'll second the cautions about low fat easily dried out when you are cooking meat cuts.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:56 pm

no avatar
User

Heinz Bobek

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:51 pm

Munich Germany

by Heinz Bobek » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:49 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Love the sound of that sauce. A bit sweet, a bit spicy, but not fruity. How would it work with duck?

Never tried the sauce with duck, but if you'll try to make the sauce with duck you should take chicken stock as the basic ingredient.

Today's venison dish was deer loin, cooked at 80°C in the oven with chestnut spaetzle, poppy seeds pesto, black walnuts on a spicy pepper sauce.

1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:19 pm

Beautiful, Heinz.
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:36 pm

Love the idea of using black walnuts. I love their flavor. However, I learned not to use them chopped in a recipe of something you are going to freeze. One year I made the mistake of adding them to my sundried tomato pesto before I froze it. Later when served the black walnut flavor overpowered everything else. I now add them just before I use the pesto.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:54 pm

A lot of the flavour and tannin in walnuts is in the skins - if you can blanche them and remove it, I bet you wouldn't have that problem.

So are we agreed that venison can be a benison.....
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:03 pm

[quote= venison can be a benison.....[/quote]
?? All I know is that venison is our usual red meat and we enjoy it. There are only two other red meats I prefer more or as much these are veal and elk. Moose and bear not so much, Bear has to be always well done and moose has a tendency to be dry.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
Previous