The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Does Sylvaner age well?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

WTN: Does Sylvaner age well?

by Jim Grow » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:40 am

I opened a 2004 Rene Mure Clos St Landelin "Cuvee Oscar" Sylvaner last nite and was was surprised by its medium amber color. The nose and palate were full of apricot and the palate had very good acidity with just a note of maderization. This wine reminded me more of a slightly over-the-hill late harvest Riesling as there was obvious sweetness with that apricot fruit. Is this Alsatian Sylvaner not representative of the norm (i.e cooked or flawed in some way) or does Sylvaner just not age very well? For 4 bucks I was happy with this experiment. I remember that Sylvaner is very big in Baden and Franken in Germany so I'm thinking I have an "off" bottle of this varietal.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Does Sylvaner age well?

by Jenise » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:11 pm

Somebody who knows more than I will undoubtedly be along with more authoritative information, but anecdotally I've always believed it doesn't. It is, after all, the primary grape in the delicious wines of Hungary's Balaton district, which one rarely sees outside of Hungary because they "don't travel well". They're best when just bottled, and it's downhill from there IOW.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:19 pm

Jim Grow wrote:Is this Alsatian Sylvaner not representative of the norm (i.e cooked or flawed in some way) or does Sylvaner just not age very well?

These are very broad questions. I don't know Mure so I can't speak to this wine, but you would certainly expect the better silvaners from Franken to improve for several years, if not quite as long-lived as riesling, which is a very high bar, so...
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:47 pm

Franken Sylvaner can age very well!
Decisions are made by those who show up